Page 5 of 46

yes that'd definitely be something worth reading
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
Alright, so I just bought Satriani Live! and on the bonus disk, theres the podcast (in bonus features). On the podcast menu, where you can select which podcast you want to watch, theres an awesome song being played. I'm still trying to figure out which song it is and which album it's from. Can anyone help? The song is funky, new age like.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Jun 25, 2007,
Quote by lobster624
so, what song was it?

One robots dream. I don't own Super Colossal, so thats why.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Ok, I went to Joe's website and look what came up!

http://www.satriani.com/2004/

Has anyone else seen this and what could it be for?
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
They explain it in the news part:

"The countdown begins!
Just under 16 days until some very special announcements....! Check http://www.satriani.com/ for the teaser splash page which will morph to reveal more over the course of the 2 weeks."

it's for the release of the (re)remastering of Surfing With The Alien for it's 20th year anniversary, out early August (even though that's only 12 days from now...).

RERELEASE:
>>> http://www.satriani.com/2004/discography/Surfing_With_The_Alien/
"On August 7th, 2007, Epic/Legacy Recordings will celebrate the 20th anniversary of this groundbreaking album with the release of a new expanded edition of Surfing with the Alien. This meticulously restored two-disc set includes the newly remastered album and a previously never-before-seen live show filmed at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1988. It will also feature new liner notes written by Joe and special deluxe packaging featuring photos, notes and other memorabilia from Joe's personal archive. More details as the date approaches!"
sounds kool cant wait for it to come out
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by wasp2020
They explain it in the news part:

"The countdown begins!
Just under 16 days until some very special announcements....! Check http://www.satriani.com/ for the teaser splash page which will morph to reveal more over the course of the 2 weeks."

it's for the release of the (re)remastering of Surfing With The Alien for it's 20th year anniversary, out early August (even though that's only 12 days from now...).

RERELEASE:
>>> http://www.satriani.com/2004/discography/Surfing_With_The_Alien/
"On August 7th, 2007, Epic/Legacy Recordings will celebrate the 20th anniversary of this groundbreaking album with the release of a new expanded edition of Surfing with the Alien. This meticulously restored two-disc set includes the newly remastered album and a previously never-before-seen live show filmed at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1988. It will also feature new liner notes written by Joe and special deluxe packaging featuring photos, notes and other memorabilia from Joe's personal archive. More details as the date approaches!"

it has nothing to do with the re-release of surfing.. that has been announced a month ago or so..
hey nice thread~only found it just then

hey does anyone have any idea how to kinda get "the extremist" sound in G3 Denver. just love that tone, wanna try it

thanks
Quote by Aftertime
hey nice thread~only found it just then

hey does anyone have any idea how to kinda get "the extremist" sound in G3 Denver. just love that tone, wanna try it

thanks

I think u need a lot of mids, and moderate bass/treble...but I could be wrong
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
Oh right, I just noticed that.

Maybe a new pedal line? It's just 15 days...
who knows? G3 related? new CD?

and i tried cheating and setting my computer clock forwards, like with the RATM thing. no luck.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by wasp2020
Oh right, I just noticed that.

Maybe a new pedal line? It's just 15 days...

Ooh That would be cool.

That'd be awesome if a surprise CD came out which is highly unlikely. We should have bets here to see what it is.
DANNY

Maybe Joe's gonna try and grow hair again.
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
Quote by tubab0y
who knows? G3 related? new CD?

and i tried cheating and setting my computer clock forwards, like with the RATM thing. no luck.

well of course not - that clock isn't running off of urs

Quote by Hidde
Maybe Joe's gonna try and grow hair again.

that'd be hilarious!
Quote by TheUltimateSin

best air guitar ever
the RATM clock was- you could change your computer time and the new screen would come up!

and actually, a new pedal line from him sounds vaguely familiar- maybe i'm thinking of someone else.

new amp? new sig guitar (gasp!)?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
the RATM clock was- you could change your computer time and the new screen would come up!

Quote by TheUltimateSin

best air guitar ever
someone on talk2joe had a good idea- JS20th?
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
someone on talk2joe had a good idea- JS20th?

makes sense!
Quote by TheUltimateSin

best air guitar ever
it would be awesome, but i would much rather prefer something i could afford to look at.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Who do you prefer, Joe Satriani or Steve Vai?
Buckethead and John Petrucci got into a shred batte. Petrucci went into world domination mode and melted Buckethead's face off. That's why Buckethead wears a mask.
I feel kinda bad for coming in the Satriani thread and saying this, but I prefer Vai. He wins this very close match by his interesting experimental work. He seems more versatile, while Satch is all about sweet melodies and stunning solos, nothing more, nothing else.
I think Satriani is able to convey feelings into songs better then Vai.

Well no actually, I know Vai can create amazing compositions (jesus, Sound Theories) but he just loses me more often then not. But even with simpler songs, I don't find it all that compelling, Boston Rain Melody, Feathers, even FTLOG, and what have you - they work, but they don't get to me as much as Satriani tends to.

With Satriani you have these songs that just plain nail that feeling...Clouds Race Across the Sky, Summer Song, Until We Say Goodbye, Saying Goodbye, Time, Day at the Beach, If I Could Fly, Flying in a Blue Dream, Into the Light, Driving at Night, New Day, Starry Night - they're catchy melodic pop tunes, yes, but they're fantastic pop tunes.
Up until I saw him at G3 I never thought of him as especially technical. He does some pretty tough licks at times but I never though him anywhere near the level of say Petrucci. At G3 though he was incredible. He did some unbelievable one handed legato arpeggios (Like in Mystical Potato Head Groove but far more extreme).
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
he's a whole lot more technical than most people think- for example, on the satriani LIVE! DVD/CD on ice 9 after the solos, during the chorus, he does this crazy harmonic tapping thing. i've tried, it's tough.

satriani, by the way.

EDIT: 2:16 into this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4vqJCOO5im4
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Last edited by tubab0y at Jul 1, 2007,
Quote by wasp2020
With Satriani you have these songs that just plain nail that feeling...Clouds Race Across the Sky, Summer Song, Until We Say Goodbye, Saying Goodbye, Time, Day at the Beach, If I Could Fly, Flying in a Blue Dream, Into the Light, Driving at Night, New Day, Starry Night - they're catchy melodic pop tunes, yes, but they're fantastic pop tunes.

You're forgetting "Just Look Up" which is truly an awesome song.
DANNY

Quote by 'Floods!'
Who do you prefer, Joe Satriani or Steve Vai?

Satch by a longshot!

I just love how he can tell a story with just music. Vai's a great player but a lot of his compositions either loose me or don't interest me at all...not to mention his over-usage of the whammy bar
Quote by TheUltimateSin

best air guitar ever
you don't think satch over-uses the whammy bar? when i saw him at G3 he threw in a few extra "satch screams" every song, which i personally love. i think that would count as over-usage. although, normally i prefer his whammy tricks and music over vai.
I think Satch is modest with it actually, he doesn't use it in every single song ya know

(except for live performances I guess lol)
Quote by TheUltimateSin

best air guitar ever
Last edited by Shreddin 4 Life at Jul 2, 2007,
he does it live because the crowd likes it.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Vai uses the whammy bar ALL-THE-TIME. He would play a whole song making his guitar sound like a fretless if he wanted to (which he does, so hey).

satch suses it much more conservatively. some screams, maybe some bouncing, and that's about it
I love the face he makes when he's doing a "Satch Scream" live
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by wasp2020
Vai uses the whammy bar ALL-THE-TIME. He would play a whole song making his guitar sound like a fretless if he wanted to (which he does, so hey).

satch suses it much more conservatively. some screams, maybe some bouncing, and that's about it

yes, exactly!

Quote by johnny_tapia
I love the face he makes when he's doing a "Satch Scream" live

whatta ya mean? He makes dozens of faces when doing that!

as for myself, I'd have to say nothing is more entertaining than when he bobs his head during a solo and looks just like a turtle
Quote by TheUltimateSin

best air guitar ever
9 days!

and i like the backwards shuffle a lot.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
I've heard a lot about Joe Satriani, and I wanted to start listening to him, and try out his music a little bit. I just heard the song, "Always with me, always with you", and I thought it was great.

Any recomendations on good songs by Satriani? Like, what songs are considered his "best" by many of his biggest fans?

I'm trying to expand my style, and I've heard a lot of people say that he's one of the best guitarists of this generation. And I didn't feel like making a new thread about this, I figure it's best to go straight to his fanbase, right?

Thanks in advance.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
thanks for not making a new thread.

and if you wanna get a basic feel for what he's like, i'd either suggest his anthology CD (it's getting a bit old now) or one of his live CDs- satriani LIVE! has a lot of his good songs on it. don't ever try to learn the songs off a live CD though, it doesn't work.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Songs are way too hard to list. Really, they're all fantastic in one way or another.

I would strongly reccomend the Anthology album, the Extremist album, and then the Surfing With The Alien album.

(The Antholgoy doesn't cover Is There Love In Space or Super Colossal albums though)
i personally thought that is there love in space was pretty good too.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!