I was reading a bass magazine the other day, and throughout the mag they often talked about the pocket, and playing in and around it. Just wondering what the pocket is?
It's the place where you lock in with the rythm and the melody at the same time.

Pretty much locking into the song perfectly.
Bass is my life.
It's more something you feel, not something you see.

Any tight band that meshes together well will be in the pocket.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
It's more something you feel, not something you see.

Any tight band that meshes together well will be in the pocket.

an example i guess would be dream theater in that case?..i dont know. most of the stuff ive heard to them sounds like. perfectly in time
Its just another expression, kinda like "being in the groove" or "holding down th beat" or something like that. Its not a place or anything.
what they said. my 2 cents:
I usually hear in connection with drummers, but I've heard it with bassist too.
Pocket are those guys who don't show off, aren't flashy but still sound hott. They don't need speed or crazy solos too sound good. More reserved. A lot of people mistake this for crap, simply cause they're not doing anything crazy fast. It's the difference between John Bonham and Keith Moon (drummers). As far as bassists go, the only pocket player I've heard is Oteil (and the peacemakers, Allman Brothers). So it's the difference between him and Victor Wooten.

deja' vu?
Quote by Crazy Horse
an example i guess would be dream theater in that case?..i dont know. most of the stuff ive heard to them sounds like. perfectly in time

Not exactly, Dream Theatre are tight but they don't groove really.

The two guys above me said it well, it's having a tight groove and playing well with your drummer. Listen to some funk. I don't really have any specific examples to give you.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Cosmic Girl by Jamiroquai
The Distance by Cake
I Will Survive by Cake

All very groovin' songs that I would consider "in the pocket."
Chris from Muse.

'Nuff said.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by watchingmefall
I would consider JPJ in the pocket, IMO.

He most deffinatly is on most songs.
Bass is my life.