im currently doin my AS level in high school and have to play for 12 minutes. Im choosing acoustic songs but i realy dont know the standard of songs i have to play. Apparently to get high marks i should be aiming to play grade 5 or 6 pieces.

If anyone could give me some good suggestions on good songs to play then that would be pretty helpful. I dont mind singing either as it can only help towards marks.

Thanks

Hennah

P.S

these are the songs im thinking about preforming

* F Stop Blues - Jack Johnson
* Heart Of Life - John Mayer
* Coming Home - City And Colour (Dallas Green)

do you think any of them are high grade standard?
Last edited by Hennah at Jan 15, 2007,
Cheers mate, checking out on of his albums now.

Any other suggestions anyone?
hey you havent had much help on this thread... are you willing to branch out into so called "classical" music or do prefer to stay in the pop genre?
Godin Progression; Ibanez S320 (Dmz HBs); Ibanez Artcore (Lollar HBs) --> Blackstar S1-45

Selling: Vox AD50VT

GAS: Volume, delay, Digitech Whammy,

http://www.ampworks.co.uk
If you're playing to grade 5 or 6 standards, using the RGT set-up you need knowledge of these chords:

Major
minor
Major 7
minor 7
Dominant 7
Major 6
minor 6
Major 9
minor9
Dominant9

If you're looking to do it on acoustic then a good choice would be Arctic Monkeys - When The Sun Goes Down. A good mix of 7th chords, a key change, and a riff set in a major scale. What more could you want?
Quote by Chris_Sleeps
If you're playing to grade 5 or 6 standards, using the RGT set-up you need knowledge of these chords:

Major
minor
Major 7
minor 7
Dominant 7
Major 6
minor 6
Major 9
minor9
Dominant9

If you're looking to do it on acoustic then a good choice would be Arctic Monkeys - When The Sun Goes Down. A good mix of 7th chords, a key change, and a riff set in a major scale. What more could you want?

Those are the only chords you need to know at level 5 or 6? I always though that you would need to know a lot more than that, at least in terms of chords...
Thats around grade 5 for RGT (Registry Guitar Tutors). They add other things in like a knowledge of arpeggios and inversions and things like that. You've got to know your Major/minor chords in all 5 positions, etc. Its not exact, i can't find my grade book right now.

no offense, but theres not a chance that would make AS performance standard. (Im presuming the original poster means UK Advanced Subsiduary Level)

If you are willing to play "classical" music on acoustic guitar then id recommend JS BAch Bouree

Therres a load of really neat spansish guitar stuff around that i could tell you if you're interested.

trinity college do examinations for electric guitar, the grade 5 stuff is pretty nice, if you made the judgement of an equivalent, or asked a local reliable guitar tutor, if you are planning to sing id say ask a local tutor about grade 5 standard.

Pop vocal/guitar numberswise im afraid i cant give any better recommendations, but you're going to come up against snobbery from moderators, sad, but thats the way it is.
Godin Progression; Ibanez S320 (Dmz HBs); Ibanez Artcore (Lollar HBs) --> Blackstar S1-45

You could always play something like an extended Classical Gas?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
You could always play something like an extended Classical Gas?

Good plan.