It means high sensitivity and low sensitivity.

High sensitivity inputs are for passive basses and some active basses.

Low sensitivity inputs are usually for really hot active basses.

Not every active bass needs a low input, some just aren't hot enough. If you don't get preamp distortion using the high input there's no need to go to low. It will only reduce your volume unnecessarily.

Not that some active basses (like mine) aren't hot enough to distort a high input, but if you put them into one you get too much noise.

I've never heard of a passive bass needing a low input.

You'll also see them labeled as active and passive inputs. Some amps have one input and a button or switch that attenuates the input. You'll usually see something like pad or -12dB written near it.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I'm using a passive bass and when I use the high input it just sounds distorted. Why is this.
Well, what amp are you using, and what settings.

Also, what bass.

May just be that you've set your amp wrong. Maybe you have a really hot passive bass. Does it go away if you use the low input?
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Well, if it's distorting at high volumes it's the amp. It's just not meant to be played that loud. Those ashton amps are just so you can hear yourself.

I don't see why it would distort with the high input. Do you mean at low volumes or high volumes? If it's at low volumes the amp might be faulty, that bass isn't a very hot bass. If it's only at high volumes, again, turn down. You can't help it.

A hot bass or pickup has a high output. Basically, that means that it is loud, and it's sending a strong signal to the amp. That's why some active basses make amps distort, the amps preamp can't handle the signal that the bass puts out.
I'll have to investigate my amp more tomorrow as I cannot crank the volume much at night. Do you have msn? Because it seems as if you know what you are talking about when it comes to bass, and I need someone to ask questions when I need help, instead of constantly posting on the forum.
I do but I'm never on. PM me or post, I'll always be glad to help. Or email me, my email is in my UG profile, just click on my name and there's an option ot email me.

Either way if just as fast. If you're on msn now send me a PM and I'll give you my addy since I'll be on for a bit.