Howdys!

I need to know what is the best gear for a real Rock N Roll tone. I want a nice bright sound but with plenty of gain and volume. I currently have a Epi Black Beauty with a Bare Knuckle bridge pickup.

My main influences are AC/DC and Guns N' Roses.

I want all kinds of equipment to get an excellent sound! I'm talkin' amp, pre-amps, effects... anything...

Thanks guys!
We need a price range.

Otherwise, for AC/DC and old plexi stack cranked will do.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
a les paul and an old plexi stack
Squier Standard Strat
Squier Jimmy Shine Sig
Ibanez ValveBee
Ibanez DS7
Behringer UC100

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
If you can afford it then you may aswell get yourself an amp custom built. Or buy a vintage Marshall JTM45 stack.

Seriously, if you could afford that stuff you probably wouldn't be playing an Epiphone. Not dissing the epi's, but an old Marshall like that is in a different league to that guitar.

EDIT: I'm suggesting these amps assuming you want an AC/DC tone. I know that a JTM45 won't give you lots of gain.

EDIT2: If price is no limit just get the same amps that Slash uses. I think they were hotrodded JCM800's.

Seriously, we need some sort of price range if you want a half decent recommendation.

If you're just asking hypothetically then don't waste our time. Look up their rigs on wikipedia or google.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by TGM
If you can afford it then you may aswell get yourself an amp custom built. Or buy a vintage Marshall JTM45 stack.

Seriously, if you could afford that stuff you probably wouldn't be playing an Epiphone. Not dissing the epi's, but an old Marshall like that is in a different league to that guitar.

EDIT: I'm suggesting these amps assuming you want an AC/DC tone. I know that a JTM45 won't give you lots of gain.

Guitars will come later. My MG30dfx (I know, I know) went to shit and I was gonna set myself up with the gigging gear anyway so why not now
Last edited by MODE-6 at Jan 15, 2007,
Plexi means alot of things. Basically it means an old Marshall (circa 1960-1970) with a plexiglass panel.

AC/DC (at least early on) used JTM45's, cranked up. If you want a 1960's JTM45 you're gonna have to pay alot of money, so give us a price range. If if you say something like $20,000.

Right now I don't know if you've got $2000 or $20,000 to spend.
Just get a JCM800 and spend the rest on loads of other stuff. No point spunking £10,000 on an amp.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
OK, that makes it much easier.

I'm not really an expert on high end amps. But here are a few for you to look into:

An old hotrodded Marshall JCM800.

Splawn amps, meant to sound like hotrodded Marshalls.

Soldano amps.

MESA/Boogie Stilleto's.

There more that I'm probably missing, wait for some posts from other people tomorrow.

Also, you might want an attenuator if you can't always crank it.

These amps are gonna be a massive upgrade over an MG, and it's alot of money. Don't just take our word for it, play all of them with your guitar, and see which you like the most.

As for pedals, you might want some kind of boost. There are loads of boutique tubescreamer copies out there, and even more overdrives and clean boosts that aren't copies.

I don't know what other effects you'd want, that's up to you. But with that kind of price range you won't need to worry about buying mass produced stuff.

If you don't mind me asking, how'd you come into so much disposable cash?
10.000 pounds....... holy f*ck man, you sure you're gonna spend it on gear ??

Okay, let me indulge myself... and you

there are TONS of BOUTIQUE amps that can nail those tone

Vintage Marshall JTM45 (what ACDC used)
Wizard amps (also used my Malcolm in the 70s)
Marshall Silver Jubilee (rare find)

now.......

Cornford MK50
Matchless Hc30
Dr.Z amps
Trainwreck Express, etc, etc
Fuchs Train 45
Fuchs ODS (kinda fusion than rock though)

gah... I wish I had your money !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
If u want that tone that only thing to do is buy a 68 plexi for 5000, plus 2500 for a cab to go along with it. Good luck! just kiding, that would be the ideal rock n roll, classic rock tone. If you want that tone cheaper than any pre 1984 marshall would sound great. Basically if u get anything else you wont sound like the real thing.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
You may have a £10,000 budget, but do you really want to spunk it all on one piece of gear? Think about it, if you spent that much money on a 39-year-old amp, would you really feel comfortable gigging with it? Plus amps of that age tend to be somewhat temperamental in the reliability department as well so you have to be prepared to put up with that as well.

If you are prepared to blow that much cash on something that you can only use for recording, then go with it, but bear in mind that there are plenty of hand-built or custom amps that you could buy that would offer equal or even better tone than a plexi, and will do it with far better reliability, ease of use, and of course significantly lower expense!

Someone mentioned Splawn, and I'd certainly agree! They are amazing amps, and will go much further than just AC/DC-the Quick Rod does the best Van Halen "brown sound" impression I've ever heard, and I'm pretty sure it can go all the way to flat out metal as well! You could even get a Quick Rod put in a replica plexi case with the Marshall logo on if you so desire. They are, however, in America, so you will probable have to pay substantial shipping fees to get it over to you.

Matamp and Cornford are both British based companies that do very very good rock amps. Matamp have a custom service where they will create an amp to your specifications and needs and are very agreeably priced. Cornford don't have a custom shop, but their Hellcat is an incredible amp, and maybe if you called them up, they might agree to carry out some modifications or something...

Plus, by saving some money on the amp, you could treat yourself to a new guitar and some boutique pedals as well. Vintage & Rare Guitars would be a very good place to start if you like that idea. Their website is www.vintageandrareguitars.com, but you'd probably be better off calling them up-I'm sure they could help you out if you're not too familiar with the boutique end of things!
Okay, I've done some searching around. This is exactly what I would buy if I were you:

1971 Gibson Les Paul Custom (7th one down)
http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/index.cfm?method=site.product_list&category_id=54
£3,850

(I would change the pickups to a set of Bareknuckle Riff Raffs with aged gold covers - £210, but that's just me)

Bad Cat Black Cat R 30W 2x12 Combo with an extra Bad Cat 2x12 extension cabinet
http://www.classadistribution.co.uk/bad_cat.php
£2,849 + £749

Neither the Slash nor the Young brothers are big on effects, but a few high-class boutique pedals would give some extra tonal versatility:

Obviously if you like Slash, you're going to want a wah pedal
I'd go with the Budda Wah
http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/effects/fxpedalDetail.asp?prID=173&sbc=^15^
£149

A fat smooth booster would be very good for wailing solos:
Xotic BB Preamp
http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/effects/fxpedalDetail.asp?prID=1243&sbc=^15^
£129

A good chorus pedal is always good for clean rhythm parts:
Homebrew THC
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/12186
£184

The Maxon PT999 is a great phaser:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/6989
£105

A Boss tuner pedal is all you'll ever need for tuning duties:
Boss TU-2
http://www.piedog.com/musical_instruments/guitar/guitar_accessories/guitar_tuners/boss-tu_2.htm
£55

And finally a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 is one of the best power supplies:
http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/effects/fxpedalDetail.asp?prID=180&sbc=^15^
£149

Total price:- £8841 (excluding new pickups) plus postage on everything

But note you can probably find most of these items for cheaper if you scout around the net a bit.

Oh and get yourself some George L's cables as well.
Last edited by Nolly at Jan 16, 2007,
Well for that tone you want a Marshall. A JCM800 will suit you nicley. Look for a used 2203 from the early 80's. These are very high valued. Then a cabinet. I would reccomend a Marshall 1960V with Celestion Vintage 30's. These are very versatile speakers that Slash does use. Alright we have one amp set. This would be somewhere about £1500-£3000 altogheter. This amp is one channel so now you can invest money in a nice clean amp to. I would reccomend a Fender Twin Reverb or a Vox AC30. Then get yourself and A/B box, a nice overdrive pedal (such as a Maxon OD9 or a Fulltone OCD).

Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Nolly
You may have a £10,000 budget, but do you really want to spunk it all on one piece of gear? Think about it, if you spent that much money on a 39-year-old amp, would you really feel comfortable gigging with it? Plus amps of that age tend to be somewhat temperamental in the reliability department as well so you have to be prepared to put up with that as well.

If you are prepared to blow that much cash on something that you can only use for recording, then go with it, but bear in mind that there are plenty of hand-built or custom amps that you could buy that would offer equal or even better tone than a plexi, and will do it with far better reliability, ease of use, and of course significantly lower expense!

That's totally true. Just because it's vintage doesn't mean it's the best option. Especially if you're a player and not a collector.

Really though, if you are gonna spend this much money you shouldn't be looking for answers on a forum. But still play EVERYTHING we mentioned, and more.
Try all the botique amps you can get your hands on... wow, ur lucky ... I wish I had that kinda dough .
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Jan 16, 2007,
Quote by TGM
OK, that makes it much easier.

I'm not really an expert on high end amps. But here are a few for you to look into:

An old hotrodded Marshall JCM800.

Splawn amps, meant to sound like hotrodded Marshalls.

Soldano amps.

MESA/Boogie Stilleto's.

SOLDANO: YES!!!!!

add diezel to that, along with hughes and kettner, and you're gold.

but i'd say for your mid to high gain classic rock to GnR, take a soldano, it will eat your Marshall MG and defecate it back into your amp box.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
^I know, I've been debating it myself, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now... He hasn't responded for a while...
I'm going to call BS too. What, you have 10,000 pounds to throw around and the only research you're willing to do is ask some faceless people on a forum?

And if you are serious, go play some goddam guitars and amps. Nothing here is going to help you decide if you're seriously at that price level.
If you're in a professional band playing huge gigs, I say get a backup too. I say two jcm 800 heads, four marshall 1960A cabs, a gibson LP standard, and a Gibson flying v, or explorer. But, that's if you're in a band playing for thousand seat venues, which I doubt you are.

Edit: and a dunlop crybaby 535Q
i say get the Uber Superman.

But it has to be the the Lightning Intensified Astronomic Radioactive model, because personally I thought the Bitch Slapper model was kinda disappointing. But if yo ulook hard enough maybe you can find a spiderman model, those are uber high gain. I'd stay away from the batman though, those tend to be a bit digital sounding.
Last edited by kaplac at Jan 17, 2007,
ROFLMAOMGZORZ!

that is funny.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
maybe a jcm800 combo? or i did see a 1959 slp plexi head once for like 3000 USD
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!