I've been palying for a year and i currently owned
Epiphone Special 2(Electric)
Roland cube 20
Timothy S10J(Acoustic)

I dont really have any pedals.
I can play songs like under the bridge,snow hey oh(when im sitting only),tell me baby, californication, green days song(yeah when im new i learn power chords first from my friends!), how deep is your love, and basically all basic songs.

Do you think i am good enough to start getting new gears or i should learn more scales/chords first?

I have another qn, on my high e string, on the 5th fret, when i play it , its like a muting sound instead. I dont think its because of action because every fret sounds except the 5th fret..help? thanks!
Last edited by oreodunk at Jan 15, 2007,
I'd say your good enough to get new gear... don't really know what it could be with that high e string problem.. Ah well.
sometimes you can get a dodgy fret.. think its one of those things you should check for when buying.. someone 'll probably give you a better answer though.. and being able to play songs doesn't really rate how good you are, other than if you have good technique (imo), if your playing some stuff and you think, hey i'd love to be able to use this effect or this pedal would work really well for my song, then yeah get it, but don't get something just based on your ability.. whatever you get, make sure you try it first.. thats a pretty much standard for any musical type thing..
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bloke is very right. Gooooo Bloke!

I found that new gear actually helped me progress. Not because it magically makes you sound better, but because i loved the new tones and effects i was getting with each new pedal that it just encouraged me to play more and more. Be prepared though, once you start buying effects you won't be able to stop yourself.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
says the guy with the line 6 spider.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Yeah, you could get new gear right now. You seem good enough. When I get a new guitar or amp, or really anything, it inspires me to play more and more, so you might get better actually. And you might have a dead fret on your E string. It means that its either higher or lower right under that spot, and it causes it to buzz or mute itself out.

Edit: And to the guy 2 posts up from me, no need to insult his gear. its a good beginners setup that would get most people started. Your guitar is good, but to be honest, his amp is better than yours.
Thanks toastinator, i was thinking of getting a Standard Mexican Strat as i would like to have a Frusciante tone, and follow up by effects of Wah,Compressor,Chorus,Reverb. But im still saving up my money
Yeah, the strat would be good for his tone. I love my MIM Strat. And the effects are a good idea, just as sure as you know you'll use them. My friend bought about $500 in effects, and they just sat there collecting dust because his style changed and he didnt need any of them.
Quote by oreodunk
Thanks toastinator, i was thinking of getting a Standard Mexican Strat as i would like to have a Frusciante tone, and follow up by effects of Wah,Compressor,Chorus,Reverb. But im still saving up my money

Go for that, but I think you're going to have to change your amp too, my Roland isn't compatible with some pedals.
Dickless.
Quote by thetoastinator
Yeah, you could get new gear right now. You seem good enough. When I get a new guitar or amp, or really anything, it inspires me to play more and more, so you might get better actually. And you might have a dead fret on your E string. It means that its either higher or lower right under that spot, and it causes it to buzz or mute itself out.

Edit: And to the guy 2 posts up from me, no need to insult his gear. its a good beginners setup that would get most people started. Your guitar is good, but to be honest, his amp is better than yours.

You forgot to compare personalities, stop judging people by their gear alone, toastinator.

I'd make what you have work and save up for what you really want. There's no point in settling for crap every time you feel you're ready for an upgrade.