You heard me. Bet that scared you a little too, eh?

Okay, I'm looking for some info on whether it's possible, intelligent, or even a good idea to mix a passive neck pickup with an active bridge pickup.

Situation is as follows: My Les Paul could do with a lot more balls coming from the bridge, so I intend to get it a new pickup. As you (should) know, LP's have two humbuckers (bridge and neck). Both pickups are currently stock.

Now I know a lot of you want to tell me to just get two of either passive or active for the sake of simplicity, but fuck that.

The stock neck pickup produces really fantastic cleans for me, so for the time being replacing it is neither a needed or wanted path to go down. However, the bridge does need replacing, and listening to a bunch of clips for the EMG 81, and it's given me a musical hard-on. So that's what I want, but there's the matter of whether it'll work.

What I need to know is the advantages/disadvantages of slapping an active pickup alongside a passive pickup. I've heard it's very possible, but that's all on the matter.

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Cheers!
It's possible, but hard to do, that's all I know.

Haven't you considered another pickup choice? You could go with a Dimarzio X2N, if you want gain.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
I have considered a few others...
- A SD SH8 Invader
- A SD SH4 JB
- A DiMarzio Super Distortion
- A DiMarzio Evolution

But none of them have really gotten me as interested as the EMG.

If it's a difficult job to do, I do know a guy that's an absolute ace at guitar servicing and such. He could very likely get the job done.
I have considered a few others...
- A SD SH8 Invader
- A SD SH4 JB
- A DiMarzio Super Distortion
- A DiMarzio Evolution

4 wildly different pickups, but I'm assuming you considered them because they're 4 of the most well known...although not for the right reasons in the Invaders case! It all depends on what you feel is wrong with the sound, what you'd like to do to make it better, and what amp you've got.

Even without you telling me the sound I'm pretty confident that none of them would be what you're looking for anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
4 wildly different pickups, but I'm assuming you considered them because they're 4 of the most well known...although not for the right reasons in the Invaders case! It all depends on what you feel is wrong with the sound, what you'd like to do to make it better, and what amp you've got.

Even without you telling me the sound I'm pretty confident that none of them would be what you're looking for anyway.

Indeed? I know the Invaders are very notorious for sucking in the wrong hands. Lamb of God aren't the wrong hands, but I'm not Lamb of God. Heh. I was trying to avoid the ceramic pickups.... so yeah. **** 'em then.

The SH4 JB got me interested because it's rumored to be used by Adam Jones. That's as simple as it gets really. Had a listen to some clips and it sounded like it had potential.

And the other two... well... the clips provided where merely snippets of songs by artists who use those pickups. Not the best thing to use for comparing. I like Racer X and Dragonforces sounds, that's basically what got the bells ringing.

Well then, in terms of what I'd like to get from the pickup, I'm simply after something with more balls. With what I have, I can't really get much of a good, clear distortion from the stock LP pickups.

Now, time to reveal what amp I have. *sigh* Roland Cube 60. Not much, but it's coping. However, other than spending what it takes on a pickup, I've set aside a fair amount for a tube amp, thinking around the lines of a Peavey of sorts. Possibly an XXL, more likely a 6505. But that's beside the point!
there are stuff like the SD Scott ian's Diablo(also called El diablo in some guitars) and maybe the tony iiomi sig humbucker or a Gibson Dirty Fingers. you can get high output from passive too
what les paul do you have and what amp are you using?

nm i see youve answered while i posted

id go with a new amp, it will make more difference to your sound than any pickup will, i mean obviously pickups play a part but no where near as much as a decent amp will
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Jan 15, 2007,
I'd have thought that a new amp would make more difference to the sound, or even just an EQ pedal. For more balls from a Les Paul I'd personally look at a Dimarzio Norton or a Duncan Custom - i'm not a big fan of pickups that stop Les Pauls sounding like Les Pauls!

Evo's in a Les Paul is an odd one, because you've got a a naturally warm guitar matched with a fairly trebly pickup - they're not really a good fit as you've got a major tonal contradiction....same goes for the JB. Ace Frehley uses the Super Distortion but it gives a very distinct sound and I don't think it really sounds like a Les Paul's supposed to.

Seriously though, try a cheap EQ pedal and see if it makes a difference, it should do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 15, 2007,
Well, cheers for the input dudes.

After reading this, I figured the obvious option would be better. **** the pickups, I'll just get myself a decent amp. I'm going to start investing all my cash into a Peavey 6505
Quote by steven seagull

Seriously though, try a cheap EQ pedal and see if it makes a difference, it should do.

Oh god yeah. I'm playing my brother's strat at the moment, which has weak single coils playing into an MG15. He bought a $40 beringer EQ pedal, and damn this simple little box adds some balls. It's like having a mixer/preamp under your foot. I wouldn't have thought a little box with a 9V battery could add so much to the signal.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard