.. and am a bit disgusted.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great amp, it's just that I got it to play with high amount of distortion, and it handles it correctly... and higher volumes.

I'm living in a universitary residence, so I can't really make a lot of noise, can't pass the volume from 1, and with lots of gains sounds VERY muddy.

Tried it at higher volumes for a short period of time, and seemed to sound ok, but i need to practice at low volumes, and that is incompatible with lots of gain on this amp (I use a RP80 pedal to boost a bit the gain, yes i know, it's not great, but it's what I have now).

So because of this, I am considering getting the amp back (can do it within 30 days of the purchase), and get a roland cube 60, which I head is great for metal, and it could fit better for my low volume needs (it has a headphones jack, which the laney hasn't, so could work).

I need some advice here.. Worth dropping this laney tube amp to get a SS roland cube? it is exaclty the same price from thomann.

Will the cube handle better metal distortion at low volumes / headphones?

your own fault, you shouldnt get a 15 watt tube amp for practise, because tube amps sound shit if they arent cranked...
Are you in a band??
Last edited by False_God at Jan 15, 2007,
hey you changed it
plus a valve amp will sound good at 2-3 for cleans

get a decent distortion/fuzz pedal and even at low volumes it should sound nice and distorted
Quote by Sirnogbert
...Damn you.
Last edited by niguitars.com at Jan 16, 2007,
Yes my fault. Hopefully, the website I bought it from can give my money back if i want.

I'm not in a band yet, but I would like something that can play along with a drumer. The laney seems powerfull enough for it, but the main use of it was practice at home...

So any input on if I really should send it back .. ?
Quote by niguitars.com
^^^ WRONG

get a decent distortion/fuzz pedal and even at low volumes it should sound nice and distorted

Are you sure ?? Don't really want to spend more money to see hear muddy sounds..

The amp itself begins to sound muddy if i put the distortion further than 7/8.
Quote by False God
your own fault, you should get a 15 watt tube amp for practise, because tube amps sound shit if they arent cranked...
Are you in a band??

I think the LC15R is 15 watts. That's still pretty loud for practice though.

Quote by niguitars.com
^^^ WRONG

No. A distortion/fuzz pedal doesn't sound better or even close to a cranked tube amp.
try getting a booster pedal, like the MXR micro amp. it should do the same thing as cranking the volume. if it still sounds muddy, get a different amp. what type of music do you play?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Laney LC's aren't really made for heavy distortion, and tube amps don't sound as good as they should at 1 volume, either. You could get an attenuator or a headphone tap of some sorts to crank the amp without causing a earthquake, but frankly if your main goal is high-gain distortion at low volumes, you might be better off with a solidstate amp.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by Tree_Fiddy
I think the LC15R is 15 watts. That's still pretty loud for practice though.

ohh wait, now I see, it should actually be "You shouldnt get" not "should" My bad! yeah 15 watts could do a small gig like..
Send it back, it's not made for high gain anyways. It won't sound very good for it no matter what you do.
So really considering the Cube 60 then, it's exaclty the same price as the Laney (damn! it sounded so sweet when I cranked it up...)

Will the cube 60 give me this kind of problems? (I mean, will lots of distortion sound well at the lowest volume / headphones)?

I play mostly metal. If the cube sounds goot at low volumes would be sweet, cause it is small gig-capable too.
get an attenuator so you can crank it without raising the volume too high
Quote by Kilador
So really considering the Cube 60 then, it's exaclty the same price as the Laney (damn! it sounded so sweet when I cranked it up...)

Will the cube 60 give me this kind of problems? (I mean, will lots of distortion sound well at the lowest volume / headphones)?

I play mostly metal. If the cube sounds goot at low volumes would be sweet, cause it is small gig-capable too.

cube is solid state, so it'll sound the same at pretty much any volume.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
So is it a complete waste of time getting a 15 watt valve amp mainly for home practice?

Is a 5 watt valve amp okay?

or are valve amps in general for home practice not really worth it?
^ Depends where you live and how soundproof your house is. The Laney LC15R is painfully loud at full volume in a bedroom. 5 watts is still very loud as well.

To the TS, the Laney is the wrong amp for metal dude, its voiced for crunch and hard rock and sounds very fizzy with any more gain. An overdrive as a boost does tighten things up but the Cube will be better for metal.
Quote by matt bickerton
So is it a complete waste of time getting a 15 watt valve amp mainly for home practice?

Is a 5 watt valve amp okay?

or are valve amps in general for home practice not really worth it?

I use a 50 watt valve amp for home practice as well as everything else and I'm happy with it But generally, you need to drive valve amps hard to get the best sound out of it - doesn't mean that they sound crap unless driven, just not as good. And the LC is just a poor choice for heavy music since it's more of a vintage-voiced blues/rock amp.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by False_God
how exactly am I wrong?

Keep the amp and get metal pedal. You got a great amp, it just sucks at low volumes I have a Laney VC30 and have the same problem living in my flat with the neighbors. I bought a cheap Danelectro Fab metal pedal turned up the amp and have the volume on the pedal on 1/2. THat will solve your problem, DONT GET THE CUBE! You'll appreciate the Laney, when you CAN crank it someday.
^ I tried that with my miltieffects pedal. Seemed to work, but still, didn't sound as sweet as the amp itself cranked up (maybe it's just that my pedal sucks). May be worth doing it with a decent metal pedal, but don't have the money right now for it, that's why I am considering the cube, which is a more metal appropiate amp. I got this onw because it's a medium gain amp, but indeed it seems that it can be boosted nicely with a pedal..
Don't get a metal pedal.... Defeats the whole purpose and sounds like shit to anyone without a tin ear. Just get the cube.
I would say keep it for when you join a band and get a SS for practice.

But, others have said it might not suit your needs anyway.
I'd still get a little SS for practice if you really can't turn it up.
Can always get a more suitable valve amp later.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha