So lately I have been considering trading in my Dsl401 for a GH50L, But Im a versitile player so I need to know would this be able to handle punk/rock/modern Rock/Progressive/Metal and at the same time have decent cleans?
Its also has:
Pre-amp-ECC83

and I can chose the outputs from either:
2x5881 or (EL34) / 4x5881 or (EL34)

I was thinking the middle as its switchable, so thats handy right?

which would be better?

Also Would it be worth trading in?
Last edited by False_God at Jan 15, 2007,
The GH50L is an amazing amplifier! In fact I made a very similar switch to you from a DSL100 half-stack to it, and I havn't looked back. The Laney beats it hands down in every category. It's VERY versatile, and you can really use your guitar knobs to get even more sounds out of it. I HIGHLY recommend going ahead and getting one! Clean tones are no problem-it cleans up beautifully if you roll back the guitar volume.

Don't know what you mean about having 4xEL34's The GH50L only has 2 power tubes! What you can do is choose to use 6L6's instead. 6L6's would give it a more modern, American, Mesa-type sound, but it will be noticeably harder to get lots of gain out of it at low volumes. I stuck with EL34's but changed the stock ones to JJ tubes, which are higher gain and slightly darker. It still has the bright Laney tone, just with a slightly smoother top end.

For more information on the sounds you can get out of the different tube brands, check out the sticky thread on tubes.
Quote by Nolly
Don't know what you mean about having 4xEL34's The GH50L only has 2 power tubes! What you can do is choose to use 6L6's instead. 6L6's would give it a more modern, American, Mesa-type sound, but it will be noticeably harder to get lots of gain out of it at low volumes. I stuck with EL34's but changed the stock ones to JJ tubes, which are higher gain and slightly darker. It still has the bright Laney tone, just with a slightly smoother top end.

For more information on the sounds you can get out of the different tube brands, check out the sticky thread on tubes.

Well you have sorta sold me now!! haha..

So it has only 2? weird, on the discription it says 4... Hmm maybe it means that I can have 2x 5881s and 2xel-34s and then you can switch?? but if not Im gonna look into the 5881's
Yeah, 4 EL34's of 6L6's would give a 100 watt output. I assume that when you say switch, you mean take one set out and replace with the other-there are certainly only 2 power tube sockets in it. The description you saw may have been of both the GH50L and the GH100L together or something.

I'd suggest trying it with the stock tubes (they ship with EL34's these days) before you make up your mind to get the 5881's. It really does sound very good with them, and it's not like you can't get a decent metal sound out of it with them in!

Btw, with your fat strat, you should be able to do the old Paul Gilbert trick and switch to the bridge/middle in parallel mode to drop the output and get a much nicer, "sprangy" cleaner sound than the 'bucker on it's own. It works very well with the GH50L!
It really depends what kind of sound you want out of them... I personally don't rate EMG's for much other than metal, but put it this way, the Laney will do whatever you could do with the Marshall, but better. If you were half-satisfied with the sounds from them through your DSL, you can expect the same type of sound, but greatly improved, plus with it's own unique tint to it, from the GH.
Is there any way you can try one out? I'd hate to think I'd made you buy an amp you won't be happy with!
^no way I could try it out... Well I looked on you tube and heard the cleans and I heard a short metal clip and was blown away....

My only fear it the switchin of Clean to Od during songs like... thats what go me the first time too!!
Well, the reason I like it so much (and probably the reason plenty of people don't!) is because, so much is left to you and your guitar. If you're used to adjusting your sound primarily from the amp, you might find it a little difficult to get used to at first, but I guarantee once you get into the idea of using your fingers and the volume control to alter your tone, you'll be hooked!

Even with the amp at full-on metal crunch settings, I can get a PERFECTLY clean tone by putting the guitar volume down to 1 or 2 with my PGM. Add in the fact that you can switch between two gain levels with the footwitch (not included btw, but any one-switch footswitch will work!) and you will realise you can still get from one extreme to the other with a simple twiddle of a knob and a single stomp on the footswitch.
The GH50L is definitely going to be my next amp, the Laney valve heads are miles better than their Marshall counterparts in my opinion.

I don't mind the fact that its single channel as it means your signal travels through less electronics and gets degraded less.
Good stuff, it's a real shame that they aren't better known. Or maybe not, because then they'd begin charging the higher prices their amps deserve!!
Yeah, they are a steal for the prices they go for atm.

I'm not sure whether to go new or used though. I think new because I prefer new shiny things (and warranties etc)
Hmm.. Could you have one gain setting low (for clean stuff so you wouldnt have to twist your guitar know so much) and then have the boost gain high for your od! (still with guitar volume down abit?)
I think you'd end up with a crunchy sound rather than high gain if you did that.

You could get a volume pedal and use that in conjunction with the amps footswitch.
Well what the extra drive function does is simply switch in another preamp tube. In other words, it ADDS more gain to the original sound. Therefore you're going to have to have plenty of gain (well, at least a crunchy classic rock amount) dialled in on the un-boosted setting in order to get the high gain metal tone when you add the boost.

There are two ways round this:
-Do as I mentioned before and roll back the guitar volume with the amp on the un-boosted mode.
-Set up a clean sound on the un-boosted mode, maximum extra drive for the boosted setting, then use a good OD or booster to push that further to get your metal tone.

It's up to you, but I'd recommend the former, because that frees up your OD pedal to give you a solo boost when you need it.

To the guy ^ me, the volume pedal won't do anything that your volume control on your guitar can't. If you're worried about loss of high end, then wire a capacitor across your volume pot.
Last edited by Nolly at Jan 15, 2007,
Ok this is what Im gonna do... gonna either buy or build a volume stomp box, so I dial in the desired volumer that I need for clear cleans and then when I stomp it I get my OD.. does such a pedal exist??lol
I don't quite follow. Do you mean set up the desired volume on the amp or the pedal? Do you just mean a volume booster, because they definitely exist!
on the pedal, basically I activate the volume on the pedal to like 5 so I get clean, then when I step on it I like kill the pedal so I get the amps full volume.. get me? so like a volume pedal in a stomp sorta thing lol..
Ah right! That's a fairly original idea, I don't know if there's anything like that on the market...
You sure you wouldn't rather do it the other way round and boost the overdrive rather than do the opposite to the clean?!
Well, if I'm getting you, you want a pedal to put between you and the amp that will lower the signal so that it doesn't cause the amp to distort. Is that what you mean?

If so, then I'm just reiterating my second way around the problem that I suggested a few points back. i.e you dial in a clean sound for the un-boosted mode, a crunch sound for the boosted one, and then use a booster pedal of some sort to add another gain stage and push the amp into high-gain territory.
Quote by Nolly
Well, if I'm getting you, you want a pedal to put between you and the amp that will lower the signal so that it doesn't cause the amp to distort. Is that what you mean?

thats it!
Well, are you sure that's what you want to do? It sounds like a lot more hassle than simply buying a good volume booster pedal and doing what I suggested!
It would be a pain, but if you don't mind taking two amps to a gig, you could get an A/B selector (like this: http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/ViewProduct.aspx?productId=223) and use your AC30 for cleans, then switch to the Laney for high-gain and crunch...

But I REALLY recommend waiting till you get the amp and experimenting with the guitar volume method! It's really very easy and will really open up a wealth of tones for you!
Quote by Nolly

But I REALLY recommend waiting till you get the amp and experimenting with the guitar volume method! It's really very easy and will really open up a wealth of tones for you!

yeah, i'll take the risk...
I have the GH50L. I highly recommend it.

When I tried it with old Sovtek 6L6's(that were actually new, but made in the 80s) the bass was really increased. The EH El34's sounded thin compared to the 6l6s, but they drove better. Cleans weren't a problem for either - I switch to bridge/middle pos and roll back my volume knob also.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Sorry man, no mike. I'll just tell you, it's kind of like a JCM 800 with more gain and a little darker. Some will say it is trebly, but I keep the precense tamed at around 9 o'clock.
Quote by chrispozzobon
A steal indeed...

I picked up my GH100L and GS412IA for $600 CAN altogether.

Best. Deal. Ever.

woah!

ALSO for the record, I dont have the AC30 yet!! not till the summer unfortunly!!
Ok, instead of making a new thread I'll use this.

I have the DSL sold, so... Im having second thoughts on the GH50 because or reliability issues, so I have 1000euro to get a head and a 2x12 cab.. I play Metal so has to be high gain!
well I was thinking about the Marshall DSL50 and a Marshall 1936 2x12 with celestions.. I need a cab too