Hey ya'll

When I was a little kid in elementary school, I played violin (badly) so I could get out of class. Well, recently I've been wanting to play it again. Since then, I've learned a ton about music and theory, which has made learning most instruments a lot easier.

My question is, do ya'll think I'd need to get lessons or can I teach myself? I know it wouldn't be as easy as teaching myself guitar or anything, but I'd rather not spend the time and money on lessons.
if u wanna play proper then get lessons
gear:
Gibson Sg special faded
esp/ltd v-250
some dodgy russian acoustic (accord or something)
marshall valvestate 8080 w/foot switch
marshall mg 10cd
boss ds-2
behringer eq700
morley bad horsie 2
It depends on how good a musician you are and what you want to do with it, I mean you might find out that you just want to satifsy and itch and in one month not want to play it, or maybe you just want to mess around with it a little, I'd take the teach yourself road and then in a couple of months if you still find your self being passonate about the violin take up lessons
Quote by Izdigger
Arrrgh! The agony! Bring me a virgin and a cup of Devil's brew!

Quote by mr kipling
I can sweep with my boner.I have to use light strings, otherwise My penis will look like an emo wrist.
I recently started playing violin, poorly as well, and there is no way in hell I could do it without lessons. It might be different for you but I have such little musical background that in order to really learn the violin lessons are necessary. I would highly suggest lessons and most people, who play violin, would probably suggest the same because it is a very difficult instrument to learn.
Yes its also a very good way to help with your musical ear considering there are NO frets or magical buttons to press to make the sounds come out you need to do all that by ear
Quote by Izdigger
Arrrgh! The agony! Bring me a virgin and a cup of Devil's brew!

Quote by mr kipling
I can sweep with my boner.I have to use light strings, otherwise My penis will look like an emo wrist.
Quote by fleaflicker182
One more thing you need to consider is that violin requires a certain right hand technique to actually sound any good (unless you decide to play pizzicato entirely).

heh... that'd be kind of funny. Well I remember a little bit of the simple fingering from elementary school, and I know what techniques you need... I guess I can just give it a shot and see how I progress.