I have had my PS2 ever since it came out and about a year or so ago I started having problems with the lenses so i got a lens cleaner and i fixed it. now, about 2 months ago I began to have the same problem and i used the lens cleaner and nothing worked. is there anything else i can try or do i have to buy a new one ?
Well. PS2's didnt come out a year ago. I suggest taking it to like a gome stop or a store like that.
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
Pretty much everyone gets that problem sooner of later. I opened mine up and vacuumed the shit out of it, and now it works almost as well as before.
Quote by $Guitarist$
Well. PS2's didnt come out a year ago. I suggest taking it to like a gome stop or a store like that.

I think the guy meant that he has had it since it came out and he just started having problems with it a year ago.
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
Quote by ATLBraves2014
I think the guy meant that he has had it since it came out and he just started having problems with it a year ago.

Woops, didnt read close enough. Sorry.
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
PS3 ftw!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by IbanezPlayer27
Get an Xbox 360.

fuking 360! u joking me! that console is a load of shite. if want a decent gaming system that wont melt or set ur house on fire get the ps3 or get some retro consoles! like the snes or something cos they rock!!!
gear:
Gibson Sg special faded
esp/ltd v-250
some dodgy russian acoustic (accord or something)
marshall valvestate 8080 w/foot switch
marshall mg 10cd
boss ds-2
behringer eq700
morley bad horsie 2
BTW does anybody know where i can get Playstation (the old one) roms?
Most of my old PS games are gone or unplayable... I just don't want to buy them one more time... Especially Crash Bandicoot (all of them )
lol trust nerdy fan boys to turn a regular question about a PS2 into a console war about consoles DIFFERENT to what the thread starter was asking about.
Quote by twistedsister
I have had my PS2 ever since it came out and about a year or so ago I started having problems with the lenses so i got a lens cleaner and i fixed it. now, about 2 months ago I began to have the same problem and i used the lens cleaner and nothing worked. is there anything else i can try or do i have to buy a new one ?

I had mine since it first came out too. It ****ed up on me about a year ago (i recently bought a second hand one 2 weeks ago).
I took it to a shop and apparently it costs more to repair than it does to buy another... The lenses in a PS2 are crap. Thats what the game-shop guy said to me.

So i reckon you'd have to get another. Once it goes, its gone.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
Open it up, take of the top of the cd drive, and open the drive up, you should see a white cog, the laser has came out alignment with the disks its trying to read, that cog can put it back in place, turn the cog in increments of one, and each time you do, put the disk back on and power up the ps2, try a ps1 cd, a dvd a ps2 dvd ( silver) a ps2 cd ( purple) and an audio cd, after they all work you can shut it back up again.

Just be careful when taking the lid off, don't snap the silver connector, it's very easy to do, so be careful
Quote by twistedsister
I have had my PS2 ever since it came out and about a year or so ago

The PS2 came out in 2006/2005? WHHAATTT????

It came out in March 4th of 2000 for North Americans. That would be 6 1/2 years bud.

EDIT: didn't see that "and" there, sorry.

███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Quote by westo
The PS2 came out in 2006/2005? WHHAATTT????

It came out in March 4th of 2000 for North Americans. That would be 6 1/2 years bud.

EDIT: didn't see that "and" there, sorry.

What are you on about. He said he's had his ps2 since it came out. About a year ago the problem occured.

Some people...
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
What are you on about. He said he's had his ps2 since it came out. About a year ago the problem occured.

Some people...

Read the edit....

Some people....
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Having internal problems? Lasers sounding weird, getting a... Disc Read Error?

Read On.

During the repair of your Playstation 2, we'll be taking the device apart. Most of the supports will be taken out, so be careful you don't bend or break any of the connectors on the various ports or internally. We'll also be taking apart the loading tray. This includes a Class 1 laser, which can blind you. The easiest precaution is to make sure your PS2 is left off when the disc tray is open. I also cannot be held responsible if you "fugger" up your machine whilst trying to repair it. If you are not confident with you're skills. get someone else to do it

We're only going to need a few tools for this. Grab your PS2, a normal-size Phillips and a flathead screwdriver, a small or jeweler's size Phillips screwdriver, a can of compressed air, and one each of (if you own any): a DVD, a PSone game, a silver PS2 game, and a blue PS2 game (namely Contra: Shattered Soldier). I've chosen Army of Darkness, Final Fantasy Tactics, GTA: Vice City, and Contra. To my knowledge, there is only a handful of blue games, so if you don't have one there's no need to worry.

To begin with, remove any add-ons you might have for your Playstation 2, like the Network Adaptor. They'll just get in the way. Flip the Playstation 2 upside down and remove all the rubber feet and square tabs. Get the edge of the flathead screwdriver or a knife underneath them to pop them out. I've circled them on the picture below — 4 rubber feet and 6 square tabs. There's a few you can leave on, but they might get in your way later.

Remove all the tabs.

Ok, now let's open her up!

In the next step, we're going to take out the 10 screws under all these tabs. You'll need the Phillips head screwdriver for this part and you might want to mark where each one comes from. They're of two different lengths, so if you make a mistake putting them back there's only one other type of screw that might fit. Once the screws are all out, take the bottom cover off. Flip your Playstation 2 over again so it's right-side up. From back to front, peel up the cover and slide it forward, then lift it off. Be careful of the memory card, controller ports and the loading tray. Once you lift the cover free, you'll notice a ribbon connecting the power and open/close buttons to the chassis. Lay the cover down as best you can without putting any tension on this ribbon.

Lift the bottom off..

Turn it over..

PART 2 : NEXT POST DUE TO IMAGE LIMITATIONS.

. . . lay the top on its side to avoid cutting the cable..

And remove the screws.

The last piece to remove is the black lid over the loading tray. There's four very tiny plastic screws holding it in. They're circled in red in the picture above. This is where you'll need the jeweler's screwdriver. Remove all the screws and lift the lid off. Voila! Now we have access to all the guts!

You're about two-thirds of the way done. Bring your Playstation 2 back over to your TV and plug it back in. It's time to test out all the games and find out what's wrong. You'll also need the black cover that goes above the loading tray, your games, and a dark felt-tip marker. The can of air can't hurt either.

After you plug the PS2 in, hit the eject button. Be careful, it's on the lid dangling by a cable. With the tray open, unplug the PS2. Now we have access to the lens and everything else underneath the tray. Spray it out with the can of air, but be careful not to spray the lens directly. Pick any hairs out in the general vicinity of the lens.

You can also use the master power switch on the back to turn the PS2 off.

Finally, what we've been looking for

PART 3 : NEXT POST DUE TO IMAGE LIMITATIONS
You'll notice there's a white disc behind the lens that is circled in yellow with a red mark on it. This is a gear that adjusts the level of the lens. Don't touch it! Grab your felt-tip marker and mark the original position. If you're looking at the unit from the front, the left edge of the gear will be touching a silver plate, about where that red line is. Put a little mark perpendicular to this. If all else fails, you can always go back to this spot and it won't be any worse off than before.

Turn the gear clockwise a little bit. You will notice the lens rising a bit, as every clockwise turn raises the lens. Once you reach a certain point, however, the lens will drop all the way to the bottom and start moving up again. Thankfully, Sony was sane and the range of movement is exactly one turn of the gear. This means you'll always be able to return the gear to its starting position. Turn the gear clockwise until you hear a click and see the lens drop to the bottom.

As a side note, this is where I depart from other repair FAQ's. They always suggest adjusting the lens from where you find it, but starting at the bottom seems to give you the best chance of finding the real sweet spot for the lens.

Plug just one controller into the front of your PS2. With the lens at the bottom position, put a game in the tray. Start with your PSone game. Place the black lid on top of the tray and lightly but firmly hold it down. Too hard and your game will click as it tries to spin, too light and the lid will fly off!

Plug your PS2 back in and turn it on. The tray should close. Let's turn on the TV and see if it works!

After the splash screen, hit X to open the browser. Now we get to wait and see whether it loads!

You've been seeing this all too often lately

Success!

With any luck, it will load at least one of your games. That's great, but we picked out four different titles for a reason! I tried them one-by-one in this order: PSone, DVD, Silver PS2, and Blue PS2. The Blue is the most difficult, so after you get your first successful load, you may want to start with it instead of a PSone game.

If at least one of your discs doesn't load, don't fret. Eject your disc and unplug the PS2 with the tray open. Take the black lid off and let's look at that gear again. Turn the gear clockwise four clicks — about 1/8th of a full turn. Pop the game in, put the lid back on, and try again. Repeat this until the games all show up in the browser window. Remember to turn the PS2 off between tries, as there's a class 1 laser in there.

Once you've got all your games showing up in the browser, try and load them. It's very possible that the PS2 will need some adjustments before it can play the games. Also, listen to the PS2. The lid is off so it will be much louder than normal, but grinding noises are still bad. This can occur if the lens is right up against the disc or if it's too far away — you'll have to listen to how your own PS2 behaves, each one is slightly different. Again, the blue games, like Contra, are the most difficult to get to work. If you get this far, you're doing great!

Once you find a good position, test the heck out of it. Load all the games and DVDs, make sure they all start. With your DVD, scan ahead a few chapters. Turn it off, use the bathroom, come back and make sure it still works. Just like with your computer, as soon as you put the case back on and the screws in, you're that much more likely to remember you find something failing because you didn't test it. Try and load a saved game, too, just be careful with the memory card slots. They're wide open now and it's easy to pop it in at an angle if you're not watching.

Now that you're sure that everything's working, time to put it back together. Eject the tray, take your game, and let it close this time before unplugging it. Bring the PS2 back to your workbench to finish it up.

Start putting the screws back in. The black lid is held down by the four small screws. Just like when you were holding it down with your hand, screw them in so they're applying light but firm pressure. If you tighten them all the way, it will push the disc down even more. After that's on, slide the top lid back on — careful about the ribbon and the ports again — and flip the Playstation 2 over. Put the bottom lid back on and then start with the screws. Here's a picture again so you know where the long ones go — they're the ones circled in red. Feet go on the four corners of the bottom section, regular tabs for the rest.

The long screws go in the red tabs, short ones everywhere else

Put your expansion devices back in place, hook the PS2 up to your TV and test it out again. If you're unlucky, you may have to crack the case again if something shifted. If need be, repeat the above steps until you get it right. Once you get it going, this should keep your PS2 playing all your favorite games for a long time coming.

If any of you have any questions or are having difficulty, please just post a comment and I will get back to you.
Sorry if it's a bit too much to read ^ I wrote it on another forum and had to post it section by section due to the limitation of photos allowed per post. Let me know how you get on.