This has confused me but probably has the simplist answer.

On a schematic there is alot of grounding symbols. However, I'm not sure about where these actually ground to.

For example, the input jack has a ground sign but where does this ground to? same goes for components that are on circuits like transistor etc?

Could somebody please answer my question. Thank you.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
The symbol who looks like three diffrent sized lines on top of eachother means that all the compnents connected with that symbol, connects together.

The symbol who looks like an upside-down "fork" is common in high-voltage circuits... that means connect to for example: steel chassis. In amps, the ground wire from the mains goes to the steelchassis.
Attachments:
12se-9.jpg
12se-9.jpg
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
if you connect the ground to the sleeves for the input/out jacks, it'll carry the ground off to the frame of the amp, and you'll be fine. and grounds are simply connected together.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
In a DC circuit, there's not actually a physical 'ground.' All your ground wires need to be electrically connected, whether you solder all of them to the back of a pot, or just solder them all together, as long as every ground in the circuit is connected, you're fine.
MG Free At Last
You see i'm making a pedal and there is numerous grounds in the circuit, but i'm confused where they are all supposed to go.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Sorry about the double post. But is it supposed to all connect to one point like the pot? Because is one prong on the jack a ground?

Heres the schem im using
Attachments:
AddSwitch.jpg

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Are you mounting the circuit on anything? It doesn't matter what you connect them to, as long as they are all connected. Yes, one prong on the jack is a ground.
MG Free At Last
Quote by ljplum12
Are you mounting the circuit on anything? It doesn't matter what you connect them to, as long as they are all connected. Yes, one prong on the jack is a ground.

I wasn't planning on mounting it, because this is my first build. IF there is ground on the output jack aswell, then that is 2 grounds convered. But what am i supposed to connect the ones below the components to.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Last edited by Lordoflax at Jan 15, 2007,
the grounds from the components just connect to the grounds from everything else. it's not what you're building, but look at this:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/lpb2_lo.gif

all the grounds are connected, and the sleeve of the jack is the ground signal all the way from your guitar to the amp.

EDIT: all the black wires are ground, as well as the line around the outside of the circuit board.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
They all just go to one track in the curcuit
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Quote by lespaulmarshall
They all just go to one track in the curcuit

So in effect, i can connect them all to the output jack? Thing is i'm using perfboard, not sure if this changes anything.

If i was connecting a pot to grounds, do I connect it to the top of the pot? Or is it different from guitar electrics.

Can you create a grounding point in anyway?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Yeah, you can put a ground anywhere, as long as they're all connected. The only reason people ground stuff to the pots in guitar electronics, is because it's a good place to solder a whole bunch of wires together and get them to stay.
MG Free At Last
So in theory I could make a point on the perfboard, and put some solder there. Then connect all the wires to this point?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

All grounds need to be together. This means that the circuit board ground, LED ground, input, jack, output jack, power supply (-), and case all need to be connected.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
All grounds need to be together. This means that the circuit board ground, LED ground, input, jack, output jack, power supply (-), and case all need to be connected.

I understand what you mean, but how. ARR i'm getting confused. Because how can I ground the output and input wires so they are connected to the component grounds aswell?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

It's not THAT hard, lol.

Lemme draw a pic.

There you go...somehow you don't seem to understand that you can connect more than one wire together?

That's just one way way to do it. Again, as long as they're all hooked up somehow, you're good.
I showed all the typical DC wiring in a pedal.
Like you said, I didn't realise you could put to wires together. I feel so silly for asking this, but do you mean this wires ends, or can you connect two wires in the middle of each other?

If just seen a perfboard layout that has sort of helped me. However, i'm not 100% sure how you connect wires together on the circuit.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Last edited by Lordoflax at Jan 16, 2007,