Page 1 of 2
I'm going to start writing a concept album pretty soon. My band plays hardcore punk and progressive metal kind of tossed together, but not anything you could call metalcore. On this album, we're really thinking about playing some Coheed and Cambria-style stuff, with some Rise Against and Tool and stuff thrown together.

I'm going to write a story about a near-future state under an oppressive totalitarian rule, and the efforts of an everyday man who has the gift of not being easily controlled and mostly blind to the truth like everybody else. He goes from blind submission, through an awakening, and sets out on the daunting and epic task of ending the totalitarian rule, promoting an anarchist ideal.

The idea is still really rough. I'm going to draw from works such as V for Vendetta, Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Animal Farm, The Fountainhead, Brave New World, and The Matrix.

How do you guys think I should go about writing it? It's a pretty daunting task and I don't really know where to start. I want the lyrics to provide a strong narrative of the story, and not get really metaphorical (I'd like to write in the style that Coheed handles the concept within their albums, where you can really get the story just by reading the lyrics, even though they're a little abstract).
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
character development, then show world he lives in, then show how he fits in and how he doesnt (the struggle), and then ultimately what happens to him (the finish). dont know how many songs this would take but this is a structure that could work.
Well since you have your plot just think about how you would like to introduce your character and build from there. Think of it like the opening scene to a movie. Maybe the first song could be about the current state of his world then the next song could be about him deciding to make a change. Idk. Also, be prepared for a lot of writing and rewriting. PM me if you need any help, I'm currently writing a concept album also.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
Last edited by Quark Soup at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by alreadygone
how old are you?

Is that really relevant?
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Incinerate!
uhhh, you are *such* a rebel.

"He goes from blind submission, through an awakening, and sets out on the daunting and epic task of ending the totalitarian rule, promoting an anarchist ideal." - LOL!

In a few years you'll probably be laughing about this. I assume youre like 15. Go live in anarchy for a little while and see how you like it.
Quote by GarageGuitarist
I'm going to start writing a concept album pretty soon. My band plays hardcore punk and progressive metal kind of tossed together, but not anything you could call metalcore. On this album, we're really thinking about playing some Coheed and Cambria-style stuff, with some Rise Against and Tool and stuff thrown together.

I'm going to write a story about a near-future state under an oppressive totalitarian rule, and the efforts of an everyday man who has the gift of not being easily controlled and mostly blind to the truth like everybody else. He goes from blind submission, through an awakening, and sets out on the daunting and epic task of ending the totalitarian rule, promoting an anarchist ideal.

The idea is still really rough. I'm going to draw from works such as V for Vendetta, Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Animal Farm, The Fountainhead, Brave New World, and The Matrix.

How do you guys think I should go about writing it? It's a pretty daunting task and I don't really know where to start. I want the lyrics to provide a strong narrative of the story, and not get really metaphorical (I'd like to write in the style that Coheed handles the concept within their albums, where you can really get the story just by reading the lyrics, even though they're a little abstract).

Sounds like Operation Mindcrime.
Quote by alreadygone
uhhh, you are *such* a rebel.

"He goes from blind submission, through an awakening, and sets out on the daunting and epic task of ending the totalitarian rule, promoting an anarchist ideal." - LOL!

In a few years you'll probably be laughing about this. I assume youre like 15. Go live in anarchy for a little while and see how you like it.

It's just a concept album. Did he say he supports anarchy? And even if he did, it's his views, not yours. You have no right to criticize him for something you yourself may not support.
if writes a concept album about this guy who "has the gift of not being easily controlled and mostly blind to the truth", thats gonna overthrow a "totalitarian government", I'm sure he identifies with the character to some extent. plus his band plays "hardcore punk". ah never mind, i just had to get it out of my system. crap day.
Quote by alreadygone
if writes a concept album about this guy who "has the gift of not being easily controlled and mostly blind to the truth", thats gonna overthrow a "totalitarian government", I'm sure he identifies with the character to some extent. plus his band plays "hardcore punk". ah never mind, i just had to get it out of my system. crap day.

I understand what you're saying. But I can understand, respect, and identify with the point of view of a person even if I do not agree with it. Besides this could be something he needed to get out of his system. Sorry if I sound harsh, I'm not trying to be.
ORRR you could have him die trying to overthrow the government and have the last song be super awesome!!! Idk, thats just my idea.
without wanting to put a downer on your whole thing (because its awfully fun to write a concept album even if it fails) you may want to think about what you'll do with the album once its written before you start writing it.

will you play it live? From start to finish? Or just a handful of songs?

Do you have good means of recording yourself... or know someone with a studio you can use cheaply? If not then the cost of recording might be quite a lot for a whole album...

Maybe start with it being more of a concept EP... or single very long song like jesus of suburbia...

If you get it written and its amazing, then you will want to record it so people hear all of it... this will be easier, and cheaper, if its less than 25 minutes long... so maybe you just need a few songs...

Most plays have 3 acts... 1) setting the scene and introducing characters, 2) presenting the problem, 3) the resolution

maybe think along those lines and write your story as 3 songs... then release it as an EP
Originally posted by guitarkid27
RobbieMac2002 gives good advice.
Yep, I'm fifteen. Yep, I play hardcore punk. Yep, I support anarchy. Yep, I actually know what I'm talking about. I'm a smart, opinionated kid, who understands social and political issues, and writes about them.

Call me an idiot just because I'm younger than you. And just because I'm younger than you, I'm definitely just trying to be a rebel, and I definitely have no idea what I'm talking about.

**** you.

Incinerate!
Well...Seeing your themes it would be a good idea to listen to david bowie's "Diamond Dogs" as an inspiration. Nothing to do with metal but it's a perfect vision of "doom" and "1984".
I actually really like some of the ideas I'm seeing.

I would definitely like to perform the entire thing, start to finish, live. That could get troublesome, though, if it were in fact an entire album.

So I guess it will be more of a concept EP. A 'short story' of concept albums, as opposed to the 'epic saga' of most.

And I like the 3 acts idea, so I think what I'll do is write 3 songs, with sub-songs within them (think 2112 or The Willing Well).

To keep it around 25 minutes, I'll be doing multiple 1:30-2:00 songs, like real up-tempo old-school hardcore fused with experimental-sounding stuff (Black Flag and Rise Against meets Fall of Troy and Blood Brothers) Then I think the conclusion of each movement is going to be longer, like 6-8 minutes, and get all progressive-like. I think, then, the EP might hit like half an hour (is that still technically an EP? Probably not).

1. Movement I (Exposition, introduce characters and world, awakening)
I. Song
II. Song
III. Song
2. Movement II (Plot development; we get a look at the main character's ideals)
I. Song
II. Song
III. Song
3. Movement III (conclusion, overthrow, main character probably becomes a martyr)
I. Song
II. Song
III. Song

Incinerate!
I'm sorry.

Incinerate!
I think anarchy is stupid. Why would you support it? It is a concept that will never happen and if it could would probably result in disaster. Plus if there are no rules, people will have the right to make rules and-Augh. My brain hurts.

Oh, and soon you'll grow out of the anarchist phase. I did too.
Last edited by ParticleManTMBG at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by GarageGuitarist
Yep, I'm fifteen. Yep, I play hardcore punk. Yep, I support anarchy. Yep, I actually know what I'm talking about. I'm a smart, opinionated kid, who understands social and political issues, and writes about them.

Call me an idiot just because I'm younger than you. And just because I'm younger than you, I'm definitely just trying to be a rebel, and I definitely have no idea what I'm talking about.

**** you.

Quote Dr. House: "Ohhh, did I hurt your feelings??"

You really do now what youre talking about, eh? As I said, go live in anarchy - aww wait, you're not gonna find that anywhere - never mind, just go live in North Korea or Vietnam and see how ya like it there. With your endless life experience, you understand social and political issues, and from that understanding comes the demand for anarchy as the best form of society. Riiight.
Punk is dead. I hate Punk. Get a life - in your age youre not supposed to worry about politics, go chase girls and have fun. geez.

**** you.
Thanks, you too.
@ threadstarter:

Concept albums kick ass, best of luck. Though I doubt it'll be anything close to Scenes From A Memory :P
Not saying that's your goal, anyway.

Your concept sounds a little like the plot from Equillibrium. Fantastic movie, you should check it out.
Quote by alreadygone

You really do now what youre talking about, eh? As I said, go live in anarchy - aww wait, you're not gonna find that anywhere - never mind, just go live in North Korea or Vietnam and see how ya like it there. With your endless life experience, you understand social and political issues, and from that understanding comes the demand for anarchy as the best form of society. Riiight.
Punk is dead. I hate Punk. Get a life - in your age youre not supposed to worry about politics, go chase girls and have fun. geez.

Thanks, you too.

pwnt.
Quote by KaMiKaZi90
"Mr. Owl? How many strokes does it take to make my little man explode?"
"Lets find out! One! Two! Three!"
*Crunch*
""
Quote by The Spoon
ORRR you could have him die trying to overthrow the government and have the last song be super awesome!!! Idk, thats just my idea.

lol.
"last song title ever - killed by a troll"

listen to Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime, and Mindcrime II as well as other concept albums to get a feel for how to progress the story, eg Tommy, Quadrophenia, The Wall, etc

This should be interesting if you pull it off.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
I say, if you can outline the concept on a piece of paper first, do that. That way, you'll have something to look back to, references to research, etc. I'm halfway through my own concept album, a progressive rock piece about aliens, and I've been using that system all the way through.
Also, remember, never force the songwriting process. It'll just turn out totally ballsed-up. Let it flow, and give the album a good, consistent musical current.
Best of luck mate.
Quote by alreadygone

To Somalia!
Quote by alreadygone

Thanks, you too.

Just what I was thinking
all i know is, concept albums are hard as shit to write. just write a story about whatever it is, then after you finish it break it up into chapters (songs), and then take the important lines and make a poem that basically says the exact same thing, just in a rhyming fashion. good luck.
How come it seems like every 15-year-old supports anarchy nowadays? I don't think they quite realize how terrible anarchy would actually by to live in, and the fact that it will never happen.
Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door went crazy.

i know it.

when I saw the plot of this "concept album" i just couldnt help but comment. plus it seems I'm not the only one who thinks that way

Stupid shit like this just makes me angry.
Last edited by alreadygone at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by alreadygone
i know it.

when I saw the plot of this "concept album" i just couldnt help but comment. plus it seems I'm not the only one who thinks that way

Stupid shit like this just makes me angry.

Stupid ****s like you who try to stifle others creativity make me angry. Just let him do whatever he wants, it's his music, not yours.
Anarchy will never work. I completely agree with you on that. Do you know why? Because of human nature. Humans are inherently evil little ****ers. I want this album to explore that whole problem. I'm writing about anarchy working because this is a work of fiction, get it? It allows me to explore ideas that don't work well in real life. It's abstract. And I enjoy it. So I really don't care about you and your right-wing, conservative, closed-minded beliefs. If "stupid shit" like this makes you angry, then just get out of the thread. It's simple.

Incinerate!
Quote by cockzit
Stupid ****s like you who try to stifle others creativity make me angry. Just let him do whatever he wants, it's his music, not yours.

... says "cockzit" who has "Die you emo piece of shit!!!!" in his sig. riiiiiight.
Ok people lets difuse the situation, the guy wants to do it let him either help him or leave him alone.
Quote by GarageGuitarist
So I really don't care about you and your right-wing, conservative, closed-minded beliefs.

stfu, not everyone who disagrees with you has conservatives beliefs.

just a bit of maturity and intelligence.
Stop bitching about how "man, anarchy is like sooo childish and stupid." and read some goddamn George Orvel. Anarchy is pretty stupid in today's society, but if in a totalitarian system, anarchy is just what the doctor ordered (see various reveloutions through history, for instance, the French Revoulution.)
It's anarchy in a different time and society. It's saying we can't let it get that far. It's not saying "Man, life sucks. Let's go smoke pot and listen to music all day long.". It's saying "Hm. This new government decision suppresses my rights. Time to protest (i.e. Patriot Act).
end rant.

EDIT: Screw that. Just reread threadstarter's post. Promoting an anarchist ideal? Forget that. I'm not saying anarchy doesn't work, cuz people said communism doesn't work, and now look at Venezuela, but seriously. People need some sort of leader. There are too many idiots to not have leaders. Try having him promote a communistic ideal or something else, or just want to plain get the hell out of there. Anarchy IS getting old and incredibly stupid. Especially cuz there IS NO ANARCHY IN THE REAL WORLD ANYWHERE!

end edit
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jan 15, 2007,
If I was as motivated to do such a daunting task; I would first write the story, as I would find it easier to draw inspiration for the songs.
Quote by alreadygone

Thanks, you too.

+1

Please, for the love of god, stop being so ****ing stereotypical.
Dickless.
Good Luck.

...you'll need it more than anarchy...
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb Combo
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Tons of Green Tortex picks
Lots of other crap...
Page 1 of 2