I got my S470 yesterday, and im having some problems. Right now im looking for an allen wrench that fits the damn string lock in the bridge, but i'd like to know what's next after that.

Right now all the strings are cut, and im trying to get them out from the bridge. Was I supposed to put something under the bridge, or will it be fine when I throw new strings in?

Also, what's Intonation, I keep hearing about it and how the ZR has the little tool for it, but what does it do?
I just was wondering if I was supposed to put something under the bridge before cutting the strings....will it go back to normal height and everything when I throw in new strings?
Quote by powerpiker
im not sure but i usually a AAA batery under it when i change the strings

Yeah I forgot to when I cut the strings...is this a problem?

I dont have the bar for the trem either.
You're supposed to change strings one by one on a floating trem, that way you don't lose tension. You'll be able to get it sorted, but it might take you a couple of hours. You can't just stick a string on and tune it up - if you , for example, put the low E on and tune it up that one string is having to counter the tension of the trem springs on it's own. That means it'll have to be way too tight to reach E and will likely snap.

If you can put a stop behind the trem it'll help, but you'll still be tuning for a while...if you stop the trem then the stop is countering the spring tension, not the strings. With a stop you can restring and tune up, but as soon as you remove the stop everything will go out of whack. Your best bet is to put all the strings on and gradually bring them all up to tension together - once there's enough tension there to start countering the springs you can start tuning up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TJM2482
Yeah I forgot to when I cut the strings...is this a problem?

I dont have the bar for the trem either.

if you dont have a bar then id just go ahead. I wouldnt worry that much about a backstop
Okay I finally found an allen wrench that fit. I took th eolder strings out and my guitar is completely stringless.

Should I just put the strings in reverse, lock the non-ball end in the saddle, and tighten?
Quote by TJM2482
Okay I finally found an allen wrench that fit. I took th eolder strings out and my guitar is completely stringless.

Should I just put the strings in reverse, lock the non-ball end in the saddle, and tighten?

that works...

I personally cut the ball ends off even after I do it that way..

but why don't you have the bar?
Its pretty much pointless without it...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
that works...

I personally cut the ball ends off even after I do it that way..

but why don't you have the bar?
Its pretty much pointless without it...

The guy I bought it off of didnt have it, i'll buy one this week though. I just want to get this thing set up and playable.
I got it restrung, but the bridge is still touching the paddig udner it, it's resting on it. Im not sure how to fix this, im getting my whammy bar this week if my local shop has one that fits.

Can this be fixed without removing the strings?
Quote by moulpatr
loosen the tension with the knob on the back of the guitar

I had to loose it a shitload to get it to "float", but its back to normal. I adjuested the tension, re-tuned, and it's back to normal!

This guitar really feels great now. I just need to get the bar and im all set.

Thanks for the help.