take for example double coils with the adjustable, and flat pole pieces. does it matter which side is facing towards the bridge, either the adjustable pole pieces half, or the flat pole pieces half?

+ o
+ o
+ o
+ o
+ o
+ o

or

o +
o +
o +
o +
o +
o +
1) they're called humbuckers.

2) the adjustable ones face the bridge.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
they're also called double coil or dual coil, but that doesn't matter.
facing the bridge, ok. does that go for both the bridge and the neck pickup?
Quote by sethp
they're also called double coil or dual coil, but that doesn't matter.
facing the bridge, ok. does that go for both the bridge and the neck pickup?

They are double or dual coils, but they're called humbuckers. It makes it easier for everyone if we all use the same terms.
face the bridge for the bridge pup and the neck for the neck pup.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
HUMBUCKER

what happens if you reverse them? what's the tonal difference? is there any?
Quote by sethp
HUMBUCKER

Lawl.

I think you'd probably get a tone that's more "mid-position"-y, and less of a bridge or neck sound. So, really there would be no point.
yeah, i would go with the norm, breaking it isn't usually a good idea. if you really want to be creative though, you can do it. the sound might make you cranky, and i'd hate to see you like that. i wouldn't reccomend it; stick with what most people do.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Putting one on backwards will give you a very bluesy, nasal sound in the middle position. It's reverse phase.
Quote by El Codyo
^Funny when used right, but now you're trying too hard.

sorry. it's kind of a long word.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
The direction they face makes no difference. How you wire them, however, does.
Hi, I'm Peter