Me and a friend started a band. I want to capture the ''tension'' in my songs like you hear in fugazi's stuff (and some stoner rock). Are there ceratin chords or scales that i should try? help me out here

Thanks
it's hard to say how to play like fugazi because they have an awfully broad range of style. a lot of the tension is built by some dissonant sounds, like the use of the tritone in "give me the cure." "life and limb" is another good track that has a somewhat eerie sound to it also. one thing i've found is that in trying to play like fugazi, you should use octave powerchords like this when appropriate:

---9---
---x---
---7---

[i]*I find that octaves sound better when played on the A and G strings.[/i]

i don't really know any good scales to use but some good chords are (i'll post more when i find my book that i wrote a bunch of chords in):
one of these names i'm unsure of so i'll leave it blank.
----------9-------5----5----5-
---3------11------5----5----4-
---5------12------4----4----5-
---5------13------3----3----4-
-----------------------4------
---5--------------3-----------
 Am11            G13  Db9  F7b9
[size="1"](^good for a buildup)[/size]

don't forget that most fugazi songs have a pretty solid rhythm with joe lally and brendan canty. the bass and drums interplay just like the guitars do, and if you can make a decent and somewhat memorable rhythm, then you're halfway through making a good song.

just experiment with your gear and tone, and remember that feedback is your friend.
Last edited by CoKane311 at Jan 16, 2007,
That one chord you have with no name appears to be an Eb6.

Like said above, for tension, dissonance is a big help. Also, when dealing with scales, the vii chord/note is good for serious pull towards the root.
Quote by CoKane311
it's hard to say how to play like fugazi because they have an awfully broad range of style. a lot of the tension is built by some dissonant sounds, like the use of the tritone in "give me the cure." "life and limb" is another good track that has a somewhat eerie sound to it also. one thing i've found is that in trying to play like fugazi, you should use octave powerchords like this when appropriate:

---9---
---x---
---7---

[i]*I find that octaves sound better when played on the A and G strings.[/i]

i don't really know any good scales to use but some good chords are (i'll post more when i find my book that i wrote a bunch of chords in):
one of these names i'm unsure of so i'll leave it blank.
----------9-------5----5----5-
---3------11------5----5----4-
---5------12------4----4----5-
---5------13------3----3----4-
-----------------------4------
---5--------------3-----------
Am11 G13 Db9 F7b9
[size="1"](^good for a buildup)[/size]

don't forget that most fugazi songs have a pretty solid rhythm with joe lally and brendan canty. the bass and drums interplay just like the guitars do, and if you can make a decent and somewhat memorable rhythm, then you're halfway through making a good song.

just experiment with your gear and tone, and remember that feedback is your friend.

Wow thanks a lot man.
Quote by Kidzelda
That one chord you have with no name appears to be an Eb6.

It's actually Eb7.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje