Hi i dont even know what you call it, when a chord is written like G/F# how is that derived, its like half of one chord and half another but i dont understand it. Could someone explain this simply for me. Or link me something that can, thank you
Someones savior never saved. Burn the Heretics, purge the witches...
When you see a chord like that, you play the chord of G with a root note F#. (If you had Am/G, you would play A minor with a root note G; if you had C7/F, you'd play C7 with a root note F, etc...) So the chord would be played 220003 (or 220033, or 255433...), EADGBe.

EDIT: Jwaxman, you have it backwards.
Yeah still dont get it, i knew that part about the root note but i dont understand how you got from there to there?
Someones savior never saved. Burn the Heretics, purge the witches...
Well, you have the G chord (3,2,0,0,0,3), and the slash basically means you play the note afterwards (in this case the F#) as the root of the chord, so you could play it as 2,2,0,0,0,3, 2,x,0,0,0,3 or x,x,4,0,0,3. Each of those chords contain the notes that make up the G chord (G, B, D), but instead of having the G as the root (3 on the E string), you replace it with the F#.

Some chords like C/G can have it played as 3,3,2,0,1,0 so that you just put the G note ontop of the original chord. So you don't always have to replace the original root note (3 on the A string) to play a slash chord.

Hope that helps your understanding a bit.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic