I don't really want to shell out the cash for an eBow, but I want to see if I can get the same effect with different magnets. I'm just worried that it's gonna screw up my pickups. Has anyone here tried this with success before?
id think that be bad for the pick ups since the magnet in the pickups would get attracted to magnet youd be putting near it. and consequently(sp?) you could end up spending money on a new pickup anyway if it DOES mess with the pickup. id say away from that though.
Magnets don't do anything.

Well, not when I've tried it anyway.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Magnets don't do anything.

Well, not when I've tried it anyway.

hm. youd think it would since theres a magnet in the pickup. i wonder why it doesnt do anything.
Quote by moonhawk
hm. youd think it would since theres a magnet in the pickup. i wonder why it doesnt do anything.

Magnets don't change each other even when they attract.

It just wouldn't do anything.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
A magnet doesn't **** up another magnet, no matter how strong it is, unless you're talking neodymian magnets, and in that case the only problem is if you let them slam together, which makes them shatter because they're that strong. Have you never had a refrigerator with more than one magnet on? Try stacking one refrigerator magnet on top of another one. Is any of these magnets now rendered useless? No. So go for it.
I'd keep any magnets away from pickups as magnets can degauss the magnets in the pickup.

I don't think a magnets not going to work as an ebow anyway, ebow works alot differently.
Do you really think the ebow would sell for hundreds if the same effect could be acheived with some fridge magnets?

There is only cheaper alternative to a hand held sustainer, that is to build your own... Pm me for more info, there are very few shimatics available
I have some industrial magnet thingy,will that work?The small ones that fit into your nostril... My dad brought back from his workplace
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Consider this....from what I've seen of the pickup building process, the "magnets" are not magnetized before the pickup is assembled (something to do with the need for the copper coil to be polarized in the magnetization process). After the pickup is wound, the entire assembly is passed through a series of magnets to magnetize the coil and magnets in the pickups. I would think this process would work in reverse, or at the very least, another pickup in close proximity would affect the polarity of the magets. If I'm wrong about the pickup building process, there are more than enough pickup builders on this forum to correct me...please do. A quick hit with a magnet shouldn't really do any harm, but over time it could become an issue.

And I have to say again that trying to use a magnet as a sustainer sounds like a really dumb idea to begin with. I just don't see it disrupting the magnetic field from the pickups enough to increase sustain...the string will still loose energy because there is no force acting upon it to make it maintain its energy output. I do see the magnet attracting the string just as a pickup would and more than likely making the string ring out faster.
Quote by TwoString
Consider this....from what I've seen of the pickup building process, the "magnets" are not magnetized before the pickup is assembled (something to do with the need for the copper coil to be polarized in the magnetization process). After the pickup is wound, the entire assembly is passed through a series of magnets to magnetize the coil and magnets in the pickups. I would think this process would work in reverse, or at the very least, another pickup in close proximity would affect the polarity of the magets. If I'm wrong about the pickup building process, there are more than enough pickup builders on this forum to correct me...please do. A quick hit with a magnet shouldn't really do any harm, but over time it could become an issue.

I don't think so; I've wound pickups with pre-magnetized polepieces, which work exactly the way they should.
Quote by dave293
I'd keep any magnets away from pickups as magnets can degauss the magnets in the pickup.

My money says this kid doesn't have any idea what he's talking about; degaussing is something you do to non-magnetic surfaces that build up a magnetic charge over time as they're exposed to lots of electricity, like a monitor screen or a steel boat hull. Guitar pickups are made with permanent magnets, so trying to degauss them would be like trying to scrub a bar of soap.

Cheap physics lesson.

Problem is, there are other parts in your guitar that aren't permanent magnets, see.
If I remember rightly it shouldn't matter unless your talking about active pickups. Even then I'm pretty sure its harmless... Now if you had some sort of oscillating magnet (or just some rapidly moving bits of metal e.g. an electric shaver) then it should make some cool sound if you do it right
so long as your not peating the pick up with the magnet it should be fine (diff. temps, and physical force usually are the only things that cause magnets to go bad)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Electric toothbrushes make for an interesting noise.

Nothing useful, just something to amuse yourself with for about 15 seconds. <_<
I've always heard that Ebows put out an extremly high pitched sound frequency which is too high for your ears to pick up but it has enough power to make the strings vibrate.

Now if that is true, I don't see how a magnet will replicate the ebow at all.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I've always heard that Ebows put out an extremly high pitched sound frequency which is too high for your ears to pick up but it has enough power to make the strings vibrate.

Now if that is true, I don't see how a magnet will replicate the ebow at all.

Just to clarify (From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebow) :
Instead of having the strings hit by the fingers or a pick, they are moved by the electromagnetic field created by the device, producing a sound reminiscent of using a bow on the strings.
In theory, then it is possible with a solenoid, yea?
Basically the Ebow is a solenoid..

Grab a battery, some wire and a nail.
Wind the wire around the nail
Connect both ends to battery..
try?
just making an electromagnet wont work. It needs to oscillate, and im guessing for it to be a clean sound it will have to be ramped rather than just switched. So something like a simple wave generator and an electromagnet.
You could make one by connecting a coil to an AC supply. A DC supply such as a battery won't work as it will only get the string to move one way.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Actually connecting to an AC supply results in an overall null change, thus why I recommended using a ramped oscillator.
Meh OK, I'm just relying on A-Level Physics I did last year
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112