Page 1 of 28
I am a huge Black Crowes fan, one of the only ones I know. They are one of my absolute favorite bands, I've seen them three times and own everything they've put out, plus a bunch of live shows. These guys are a great band, with some awesome studio albums and they kick ass live. I very rarely hear about them on this website (except for when I mention them), and I'm curious as to who else likes them. So...share your thoughts here

2011 EDIT: THE EXISTENCE OF THIS THREAD IN THE CLASSIC ROCK FORUM IS NOT A RESULT OF A CHANGE IN THIS FORUM'S RULES. It is simply here because let's face it, the only people who post in it these days are considered Classic Rock forum regulars. And if you want to be more specific, it's usually just me talking to myself. Modern Rock forum moderator DownInAHole. agreed to move this thread to this forum for our convenience.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Southern Harmony. 'Nuff said.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
They are deffinently a solid band. i only have a greatest hits and have been meaning to get some of their albums. But yeah i really like um. im sure i'll like them more when i get some albums
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Your probably the only girl on this forum.

The Reverend Mother Of Zeppelinism- PM TheHeartbreaker to join

www.myspace.com/zep_rex
Amazing band, i think you, me, and Derigiberble are the only ones on here that can discuss them outside of Hard to Handle and Remedy.

anyways, whats everyone's favorite album, i've been taking a liking to Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by Derigiberble
Southern Harmony. 'Nuff said.
couple of months ago I would have agreed with you...but lately, Amorica is where its at.
Quote by Thefallofman
Three Snakes and One Charm. Seem to be everyone's least favourite and yet I share the opinion of Chris Robinson that it's the best thing they've ever done. The horns on that album are awesome.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

^^I tend to think that more people dislike Lions. Three Snakes is a great album...I love One Mirror Too Many and Evil Eye.
Quote by Thefallofman
Yes they rock very hard,
I like how each album is so different from the others yet still the same.
Favorite album has to be...
each of the first two,
because the first one really shows some killer licks and good songwriting and the second one is like a free for all rock-jam.

BTW anybody know any good bands like them?
Quote by BrainDamage
I very rarely hear about them on this website (except for when I mention them

And the Zep thread of course

anyway I saw them back in 2001 I think at the millenium stadium. Seeing them live and in an arena with like 80,000 other fans was amazing
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
If you like the Crowes, check out the obvious country artists like The Byrds, Gram Parsons and The Band, but also have a look into a band called American Minor. I love them plus I'm in their top friends on myspace cos i'm "supa cool".

http://www.myspace.com/americanminor

Guess who I am.

EDIT: Aww yeah I forgot the Stereophonics were such good friends with the Crowes. There's a video somewhere on the net of them performing together with Jools Holland.
Quote by CornLord

Last edited by Derigiberble at Jan 15, 2007,
^I've been to see the Phonics, and would have much rather seen the Black Crowes supporting than who we got (the Dead 60's, who were okay).

They've got loadsa pretty decent songs, just good swaying bluesy rock riffs. Hard to Handle I think is my favourite one at the moment.
What are all of your favorite songs from them?

right now mine would probably have to be Thorn In My Pride.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by Lost_Rose
Yep that be the one. They owned it they should of been the headliners but we cant get it all can we
That's an ok setlist...6 songs from Lions...yikes.

The three shows I was at were:
2005-06-22
2006-07-22
2006-11-08

the third show was one of the best I've ever been to.
Quote by Thefallofman
Ya man the Black Crowes are electric, I have the greatest hits and amorica and i'm loving them. I remember hearing somewhere that one of the members left, any truth to this??
Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Hey baby, is that a mirror in your pocket or am I stabbing you repeatedly in the face?

The Slick Fingers of the Bass Malitia, PM IndieMetalHead to join

You don't own shit.
^^two members.

Marc Ford- guitar
Eddie Harsch- keyboards

replaced by

Paul Stacey- guitar
Rob Clores- keyboards

Paul and Rob are pretty good, but neither of them come close to Marc and Eddie.
Quote by Thefallofman
So i just stumbled upon some awesome stuff.

Sweet Pickle Salad with Chris on vocals and Marc Ford of guitar, it has some members of Jellyfish in it, and theres even flute in it, its really good sounding.

i also just found Ford's band Burning Tree's self titled album (there only one)
^^my god what a find, I've been looking everywhere for Burning Tree. I want to hear what they sounds like...Marc Ford is awesome.
Quote by Thefallofman
The albums really good, its different that i expected though (well you should know, you've probably already listened through the whole thing twice now).

the Sweet Pickle Salad is really good, i think i like it slightly more than Burning Tree, even though theres only 4 tracks, i wish they had recorded more.
^^I really like this Burning Tree album. I can't wait to hear some Big Toe, Foamfoot, and Hookah Brown.

for those who didn't know, all four of those bands featured atleast one member of the Black Crowes
Quote by Thefallofman
i like Sweet Pickle Salad the most out of what i heard, i really wish they recprded an album with the lineup.
Chris Robinson and the New Earth Mud are pretty good too, but I don't think I'd buy their album.
Quote by CornLord

seeing as you're all so hardcore im hoping one of you has Last Time Again

i tried getting it off limewire months ago and it got stuck on 97%

can anyone put it on yousendit for me (in mp3 )
Of all the sigs in the world...

This is definitely one of 'em
It's not that good, it's just a B side to Lickin'.
Quote by CornLord

speaking of B-sides...anyone know where I can find a recorded version of Waiting Guilty (according to Crowesbase- "B-side of Shake Your Money Maker")? I've seen the song played twice live, and I love it. I'd like to hear a recorded version of the song.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by Derigiberble
It's not that good, it's just a B side to Lickin'.

now you just made me want it even more

and now i know you have it

and i know where you live...

scotland

seriously tho please upload it on yousendit for me
Of all the sigs in the world...

This is definitely one of 'em
Got around to listening to most of Southern Harmony today in the car...that album really is great. Thorn In My Pride and No Speak No Slave are my two favorites from it.
Quote by Thefallofman
I only listened to them properly a few weeks ago, after my bro was talking about 'em for ages and I gotta say they're awesome, I really love that kinda style and everything about it
I saw one of their videos on The Tube Music chanell, pretty good, but thats bout it.
Logos and websites for low prices - pm me

Quote by SideshowRaven24
wow dude way to think innovative. nice plan.
Quote by icon_player_5
that would be awesome if you saw it all the way through, good imagination

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
Southern Harmony was the first album I ever heard. My dad gave it to me when I wanted to expand my tastes in music. Thanks to that, I'm now obsessed (as is BrainDamage and a couple of other people I know ).
Quote by CornLord

The first i heard was Hard To Handle (obviously being a radio single, and the fact my dad played that alnum nonstop for like 10 years) but my favorite is deffinetely Southern Harmony.
with the exception of being obsessed with Hard to Handle as a little kid, the first time I really listened to them was June 22, 2005. Saw them open for Tom Petty.

http://www.crowesbase.com/tapelisting.cfm?TapeID=1683

Pretty good set, now that I look back on it. Sure wish I was more of a fan at that time, cause now I realize that Another Roadside Tragedy would kick ass live, and even better, as an opener. I do, however, vivdly remember the transition from Ballad into Wiser Time. That was cool

EDIT: I also remember My Morning Song, as well as Chris' time travel comment
Quote by Thefallofman
Yeah some of the Lost and Tall sessions are pretty underated. I can't believe Another Road Side Tragedy never made the album.
Quote by CornLord

^^yeah, I'm surprised that the only official release of the song was just recently on Lost Crowes. Lost Crowes is very good, but the studio-quality-ready-to-be-released version of the Band album that I have is so much better

Oh yeah, one more thing...Never Forget This Song rocks
Quote by Thefallofman
The Crowes are sooo under-rated. They seriously rock hard, old school Rn'R! They are deffinitly one of my fav bands ever. All of their albums are amazing. I've been trying to get marc/rich's sound forever, but I can't seem to dail it in. I was thinking about getting a Fulldrive pedal?
anyway, unfortunately I haven't had the privelage of seeing them live. I'd love to, tho. I hear talks of a new album sometime soon!
so glad I found this thread...
So I thought I'd bring back this thread, considering I was able to get the pictures I took with my phone onto my computer from the 2006-11-08 Crowes show where I was basically leaning up on the railing.

Rich during "Answers" I believe.

Chris.

Chris playing harmonica.

Rich with Chris playing rhythm behind him.

setting up for Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz at the beginning of the second set.

Rich playing a tele.
Quote by Thefallofman
Cool Did Chris do any rhythm playing at that show? I think I've read about him playing guitar occasionally at their shows...
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
^^...
Quote by BrainDamage

Rich with Chris playing rhythm behind him.

Rich sang lead vocals and Chris played electric guitar on "Answers"

Chris played electric guitar on the Jam following "Downtown Money Waster"

Rich and Paul alone and acoustic on "Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz"

Chris played acoustic guitar on Jam -> "Waiting Guilty"

Rich sang lead vocals and Chris played electric guitar on "It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry"

Chris played electric guitar on "Got To Get Better In A Little While"
Quote by Thefallofman
How good of a guitar player is Chris then? Is he good at slide like Rich?
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)