Page 2 of 28
^^nah, he played mostly rhythm. I do remember him taking a lead once during the night, but I can't remember what song it was. It was most likely It Takes A Lot To Laugh. He wasn't too bad, either

EDIT: now that I go back and listen, his solo was definately during It Takes A Lot To Laugh.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
So he's not bad at guitar, then? He's a damn fine singer....

Do you know if he ever contributed guitar riffs to their music? Or did he always just do the singing? Sorry if I'm bugging you with all of the singer/guitarist/musician questions
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
I havent heard much of their music sadly..

although, i absolutely love She Talks To Angels.. truely amazing..

gets me all the time..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Excellent lead playing in that band, too

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
^^Marc Ford (...well, atleast on Amorica, Southern Harmony, and Three Snakes).

Quote by Page&HammettFan

Do you know if he ever contributed guitar riffs to their music? Or did he always just do the singing? Sorry if I'm bugging you with all of the singer/guitarist/musician questions
I'd assume he did. Though Rich is the driving force behind the Crowes. Chris brings the soul, Rich the power. This is made completely evident if you listen to Rich's solo album- Paper.

EDIT: just thought I'd add, Rich is definately the leader of this band. Chris might be the frontman, but the band is Rich's. It was awesome standing in front of him, watching him orchestrate a jam.
Quote by Thefallofman
I was amazed to hear that he wrote the music at the age of FIFTEEN to She Talks to Angels.... That is, IMO, a brilliant composition.... I mean, it's not anything complicated. But songs don't have to be complicated to be good. The song is great.

Not a big fan but I do love a few of their songs. My dad kind of got me into them.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I was rumaging through my dads old cd's and I came across The Greatest Hits CD, so I popped it in the cd player, and it blew me away. They are one of my favorite bands now
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by igotabcrich32
What are all of your favorite songs from them?

right now mine would probably have to be Thorn In My Pride.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I've also can't get enough of Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye or Wiser Time.
I like Twice as Hard, She Talks To Angels, Jealous Again, Hard To Handle...pretty much the entire Greatest Hits album.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Favourite Crowes songs:

Black Moon Creeping
No Speak No Slave
Cursed Diamond
Morning Song

In fact, pretty much anything they've ever recorded. There isn't a Black Crowes track that I don't like.

If you like She Talks To Angels you should check out a song called Descending that's on Amorica. Beautiful song.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by Derigiberble
Favourite Crowes songs:

Black Moon Creeping
No Speak No Slave
Cursed Diamond
Morning Song

In fact, pretty much anything they've ever recorded. There isn't a Black Crowes track that I don't like.

If you like She Talks To Angels you should check out a song called Descending that's on Amorica. Beautiful song.

Im listening to it right now. Im liking it alot. His vocals never fail to disappoint.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
I was really into them when the first came out. Had the first two albums but then kind of lost touch with them for years. I think its because I had them on tape and never got round to buying the CD's when I got a CD player. Anyway, recently I went through all my old tapes from years ago and downloaded what I could (my thinking being that I've already paid for it once). Now love the Crowes again. A proper old fashioned rock band.

Southern Harmony is still the best for me. Remedy, Thorn In My Pride. Hotel Illness, No Speak No Slave and My Morning Song are all immense. Hell, the whole album is.
What do you think of Live at The Greek with Jimmy Page? I just put it on the other day and forgot how great it is. I wish they would have been able to put some of their own songs on it with the classic Zeppelin tracks.
I just looked a few videos of it up on youtube. I really enjoy the Ten Years Gone clip.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oyK_SnQiXDM
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by johnnyvaughan
What do you think of Live at The Greek with Jimmy Page? I just put it on the other day and forgot how great it is. I wish they would have been able to put some of their own songs on it with the classic Zeppelin tracks.

They had to leave it off because of those retarded dickwads at their record label.

Quote by SGstriker
I like Twice as Hard, She Talks To Angels, Jealous Again, Hard To Handle...pretty much the entire Greatest Hits album.
in other words, the Shake Your Money Maker album

Quote by Derigiberble

I love Descending. I think the Black Crowes are the only band where I can safely say I like every single one of their ballads.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
in other words, the Shake Your Money Maker album

eh, pretty much. Ive only been a big fan for about eh...2 days now lol
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
^^everyone's got to start somewhere...Shake Your Money Maker is where I got my start too Don't get me wrong, it's a great album (Struttin' Blues rocks), but I greatly prefer Amorica, Southern Harmony, and 3 Snakes.
Quote by Thefallofman
^ I'll have to check those out.
Its music like that that I want to play when I get into a band.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
^^keep one guitar in open G and you're halfway there
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^keep one guitar in open G and you're halfway there

Ha, so, just like the stones?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Open G for the Slide, Open E for the Rhythm and Open F for some of the stuff off Lions (Generally best avoided).
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

^^the only Open E song I can think of offhand that the Crowes did is Descending (EDIT: and She Talks To Angels. Forgot about that one). And also, not all of Lions is bad...I love Midnight From The Inside Out and Soul Singing and Greasy Grass River are good It's not a terrible album, but regarding post-3 Snakes stuff, it's definately not as good as By Your Side.

Quote by SGstriker
Ha, so, just like the stones?
This is even more extreme. It's much easier to pick Black Crowes songs that aren't in Open G. Or any open tuning for that matter.

EDIT 2: btw, just got the ok to take a trip to Pennsylvania this coming friday to see the Black Crowes for a 4th time. Yay!
Quote by Thefallofman
^ $%$&BBQ%****.

lucky...I haven't seen them yet. Hopefully, they can make it up to the northwest sometime soon.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
^^Yeah, as soon as I got the ok to go, my only ride to PA will be going on the 2nd and 3rd (day of the show) instead of the 3rd and 4th, which means I'm gonna miss it. I mean, I could still go, but I'd have nowhere to stay overnight and I wouldn't be able to get back the next day
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^the only Open E song I can think of offhand that the Crowes did is Descending (EDIT: and She Talks To Angels. Forgot about that one). And also, not all of Lions is bad...I love Midnight From The Inside Out and Soul Singing and Greasy Grass River are good It's not a terrible album, but regarding post-3 Snakes stuff, it's definately not as good as By Your Side.

If you watch the Freak and Roll concert, all the acoustic stuff that Rich does is in Open E and all the stuff done by Marc is open G when he's playing the slide on top.

And I know Lions isn't that bad, but all the recordings they did live of that album are far better than the studio ones.
Quote by CornLord

^^
Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz- pretty sure this is open G
Cursed Diamond- positive this is open G
She Talks To Angels- positive this is open E
Wiser Time- positive this is open G
Non Fiction- I'd have to go back and look
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
^^
Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz- pretty sure this is open G
Cursed Diamond- positive this is open G
She Talks To Angels- positive this is open E
Wiser Time- positive this is open G
Non Fiction- I'd have to go back and look

Piss off. I'm right.
Quote by CornLord

Black Crowes rock. Have never seen them live, but the albums are great.

Just found a band that reminds me of them, The Answer... Anyone else see the similarity?
^^you really need to quit it with The Answer. Every single post I've seen from you has basically advertised them.

Quote by Derigiberble
Piss off. I'm right.
you wish
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
you wish

Nah I am, watch Freak and Roll again. Rich pretty much keeps his guitar in open E because it's easier for the chords whilst Marc plays over him with he slide in open G.

And Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz is all played in open E.
Quote by CornLord

^^*sigh*

I keep a guitar in open G, mainly because I play a lot of Black Crowes stuff. That being said, I put in Freak and Roll, picked up my guitar tuned to open G, and started playing along. I also brought in my acoustic and tuned it to open E.

Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz
Now granted, I can't play this song, because I've never found any music for it and I'm terrible at figuring stuff out by ear, but judging by the opening harmonics Rich plays and the last chord of the song, as well as a few things I played around with after watching Rich, I am positive this is in open G. Confirmed with my acoustic.

Cursed Diamond
I can play this song, and am 150% positive it's in open G (not to mention I saw Rich play this one from only a few feet away, using his ES-335, which is always in open G) but in case you wanted further proof, at 1:03:18 in the video (the first time through the intro chords, before Chris' vocals), try and play the barre chord Rich plays on the seventh fret in open E. Doesn't sound right does it? That's cause this one is open G as well.

She Talks To Angels
Open E, just like it is on the studio recording.

Wiser Time
Rich brings out what looks to be the same 12 string as Cursed Diamond, so that's a start. Now, I can play this song as well (I often prefer playing rhythm on this song...dunno why), and after strumming the first few chords (the very end of Ballad in Urgency, if you will) along with the DVD, I'm still positive this is open G.

Nonfiction
I can't play this song (where are all the Amorica tabs at?!), but Rich is capoed at the 3rd fret, and when I do that with my guitar in open G, it clearly sounds like Nonfiction. Not many defining shots of Rich on the video, but I still think it's safe to say this is in open G, but capoed at the 3rd fret.

So now what do you have to say?
Quote by Thefallofman
Well it's been a while since anyone has posted here, but 2008 is looking to be a good year for Crowes fans.

New album with Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi All Stars) on guitar plus a tour to follow. Mmm, I'm excited
Quote by Thefallofman
^Yea, I saw that the new album comes out in March. I'm definitely pumped up for that. First in about seven years, I believe. A tour would just be icing on the cake at this point.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Last edited by Cptbeefheart at Dec 17, 2007,
^^if by careers you meant years, then yeah Lions was released in 2001 (although you could technically call the second disc of the Lost Crowes- which was released in 2006 -an album...it was ready to be released in 1997, but was shelved at the last minute).

I'm interested to hear this new material. They played some new stuff (though none of it ended up on the album to be released) on their recent tours and it sounded good.
Quote by Thefallofman
Yes, I meant years, my mind was clearly wandering . I haven't picked up Lost Crowes yet, so I think I'll pick that up before the new album comes out. I assume the new material on the second disc is good?
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
^^Yeah, I actually have the original Band album that was ready to be released, so that's what I tend to listen to (and not Lost Crowes) but the tracklist is basically the same. It's been a while since I last listened to it, but it's a good album. Never Forget This Song, Paint An 8, and especially Another Roadside Tragedy are the standout songs in my opinion. The second disc (got the discs mixed up...Band is first, Tall is second) is material from the Tall sessions (early versions of Amorica stuff ) plus a couple of other unreleased songs recorded during those sessions.
Quote by Thefallofman