Page 25 of 28
27 songs?! Jesus! This definitely sounds promising, and looking back at all they've done this year I feel like Chris is really ambitious about this band. In the next couple years these guys are going to become an amazing band.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Jazz Funeral
Damn, 27 songs. That's a lot of material, especially for six days...

I gotta wonder, will that be trimmed down to a single disc? Or are we looking at a two-disc package?
I'm obviously hoping it's a double. I expected there to be a couple of extra new original songs that they didn't play live, but this many? I mean, let's say all of the CRB originals were recorded, as well as the Wooden Family songs they've played live and Reflections On A Broken Mirror...that still leaves 17 more that we've never heard (assuming no covers). Just the stuff that we haven't heard is enough for a double album! I like what CRB is doing and I was already pretty excited for the forthcoming album, but this just makes it so much more interesting.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
"The Chris Robinson Brotherhood forthcoming release, "Big Moon Ritual & The Magic Door", will be available everywhere on June 5th, 2012."

and

"CRB will be releasing a 7" of "Blue Suede Shoes" & a live version "Girl, I Love You" for Record Store Day on April 21, 2012.

"Blue Suede Shoes" was recorded during the sessions for their forthcoming release "Big Moon Ritual & The Magic Door" which will be available everywhere on June 5th, 2012."

Quote by Thefallofman
Nice! I can't wait! Wouldn't have expected the first CRB release to be Blue Suede Shoes though. Haha.
Hey, I'm Mike.
I saw this mentioned on A2 a few weeks ago but could find very few details on it, so its nice to see an actual description and some dates. This band will be interesting for sure.

Side note, RR in Philly is two weeks from yesterday

EDIT: Also, this.
EDIT 2: And another thing...from Jackie Greene's facebook, posted on Feb. 20:

Good day in the studio with Trigger Hippy. I think we'll have something for ya'll before too long...
Quote by Thefallofman
http://www.msopr.com/press-releases/the-chris-robinson-brotherhood-to-release-debut-studio-album-big-moon-ritual-june-5/

Interesting. I'm assuming Vibration and Light Suite got bumped back to The Magic Door, but it's great to see Reflections get the studio treatment.
Quote by Thefallofman
^ Okay, so they recorded 27 songs in the studio. Now, that looked like a short track list for Big Moon Ritual, but I see mention of a Magic Door in your post... At this point I'm assuming that they intend to release at least one other album this year.

I'm alright with this.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
It's right there in the press release...

THE CHRIS ROBINSON BROTHERHOOD
TO RELEASE DEBUT STUDIO ALBUM
‘BIG MOON RITUAL’
JUNE 5
VIA SILVER ARROW/MEGAFORCE RECORDS,

TO BE FOLLOWED BY COMPANION ALBUM
‘THE MAGIC DOOR’
IN SEPTEMBER
Quote by Thefallofman
I need to learn to be in less of a hurry...

I actually jumped right past the latter part of the stuff on top to get to the big story on the bottom.

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Mar 10, 2012,
Soooo RR in Philadelphia was last night and it was, oh, how do I say this...

AWESOME.

Setlist as best as I can remember was as follows:

By the Light of the Sunset Moon
Jam-->Broken Stick Crown
Look Through My Window
Run Run-->
It's Not Easy
Bye Bye Baby
Vibeka
War Drums
Falling Again
Station Man
What Is Home
Gone Away
---ENCORE---
Laila II
Winter
What Goes On

The order gets a little fuzzy after It's Not Easy, but those were definitely all the songs that were played. The Llama Blues EP to open was a pleasant surprise, with Broken Stick Crown being the clear highlight out of those four. It's also worth noting that there was what I thought to be a Spider in the Sugar Bowl Blues tease at the end of the jam before it. Bye Bye Baby, Vibeka, and War Drums all featured lengthy jams allowing Rich to really show what he could do as a lead guitarist, and man was it cool to watch. Bye Bye Baby was especially interesting because while the song is acoustic and somewhat mellow on the album, it was played fully electric at the show. Same thing applies to Falling Again. The biggest surprise of the night was without a doubt What Is Home. I knew they had been playing it since they started touring last October and had heard from the various boards that it was a different version than what appears on BTF (apparently it's how Rich originally wrote it?) but this took me completely by surprise. Full electric and well, it rocked. Seriously. Check it out.

The venue (World Cafe Live) was a new one for me and I really, really liked it. It has a cafe/restaurant/bar on ground level (food was very good) and the actual theater is downstairs. The place only holds 650 people downstairs according to their website and it wasn't even close to being packed, so I was able to secure a spot in line with Rich's mic as close to the stage as possible (a row of tables acted as a barrier to keep people from leaning on it).

Amps were the usual Reason SM50 and Vox AC30. Couldn't tell what was on the rack. Guitars used were a Gretsch single-cut (can't seem to find a similar model on their website) and a double cut (looked like a Chet Atkins Country Gentleman), a metal front Zemaitis, a Strat with a blonde finish, then the usual suspects...the gold SYMM LP (the one with the partially worn finish), ES-335, and white SG. Surprisingly, there were no Teles.

So overall it was a great night. I had an absolute blast and I'm extremely glad that I finally got to see Rich solo. Best $19 I've spent in a long time.

EDIT: Grabbed a pick after the show, too.
Quote by Thefallofman
http://triggerhippy.net/trigger-hippy-march-madness

Well shit. I checked out a couple of youtube clips of Kimbrough, and while he seems like a good player he's no Audley. I was really, really looking forward to seeing Audley with this band. I'm actually significantly less excited about Trigger Hippy now.
Quote by Thefallofman
I'm thinking about open tuning one of my guitars so I can learn some extra Rich parts, do you guys think Open G has the most options?
^^It does, and here's the data to back it up:

OPEN G (DGDGBD)
Twice As Hard
Jealous Again
Sister Luck
Thick N' Thin
Stare It Cold
Sting Me
Hotel Illness
Black Moon Creeping
My Morning Song
Gone
Cursed Diamond
She Gave Good Sunflower
Wiser Time
Downtown Money Waster
Under A Mountain
Nebakanezer
(Only) Halfway to Everywhere
Bring On Bring On
How Much For Your Wings
Let Me Share The Ride
Evil Eye
Go Faster
By Your Side
Only A Fool
Heavy
Go Tell The Congregation
Diamond Ring
Then She Said My Name
Virtue and Vice
Cypress Tree
Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution
Oh Josephine
Evergreen
Movin' On Down The Line
Wounded Bird
God's Got It
Good Morning Captain
A Train Still Makes A Lonely Sound
Kept My Soul
What Is Home?
Shady Grove
Lady of Avenue A
Waiting Guilty
Tied Up and Swallowed
Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz
Exit
Bitter, Bitter You
Pastoral*
Never Forget This Song
If It Ever Stops Raining

*The only studio version that circulates of Pastoral has Rich in open F. Given the fact that the tape sounds a little slow to my ears and that live versions were played in open G, I would guess that the intended tuning is indeed open G.

OPEN F# (C#F#C#F#A#C#)
P.25 London
Stop Kickin' My Heart Around
Midnight From The Inside Out
Lickin'

OPEN F (CFCFAC)
Horsehead
No Use Lying
Losing My Mind
Soul Singing
Young Man, Old Man
Cosmic Friend
Paint An 8
Another Roadside Tragedy
Peace Anyway
Magic Rooster Blues

OPEN G + CAPO
Seeing Things (2nd fret)
Remedy (3rd fret)
Thorn In My Pride (4th fret)
Sometimes Salvation (4th fret)
No Speak No Slave (3rd fret)
Nonfiction (3rd fret)
One Mirror Too Many (3rd fret)
Darling of the Underground Press (2nd fret)
Words You Throw Away (3rd fret)
Thorn's Progress (4th fret)
Thunderstorm 6:54 (3rd fret)
Spider in the Sugar Bowl Blues (3rd fret)

OPEN E (EBEG#BE)
She Talks To Angels
Descending
Welcome to the Goodtimes
Whoa Mule

OPEN C (CGCGCE)
Walk Believer Walk

OPEN C7 (CGCGA#E)
Been A Long Time (Waiting On Love)

STANDARD (EADGBE)
Hard to Handle
Struttin' Blues
Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye
A Conspiracy
High Head Blues
Ballad in Urgency
Good Friday
Blackberry
Girl From A Pawnshop
Better When You're Not Alone
Come On
Greasy Grass River
Miracle To Me
Wee Who See The Deep
Locust Street
There's Gold In Them Hills
Appaloosa
I Ain't Hiding
Houston Don't Dream About Me
Make Glad
And The Band Played On
The Last Place That Love Lives
Roll Old Jeremiah (Rich- capo at 7th fret, Chris- standard)
So Many Times
Cold Boy Smile (capo at 5th fret)
Title Song
Low Down
Grinnin' ('95)
My Heart's Killing Me
Wyoming and Me

STANDARD, DROP-D (DADGBE)
Here Comes Daylight

STANDARD DOWN A HALF STEP (EbAbDbGbBbEb)
It Must Be Over

Only songs from the released catalog that this list is missing are the following, and they are not included only because I have yet to try to figure them out:
Could I've Been So Blind
Time Will Tell
Ozone Mama
Lay It All On Me
Ready For Rain
Hole In My Soul
Garden Gate
Greenhorn
Shine Along
Fork In The River

As a bonus, open F# and F are obviously the same as G just down a half and full step respectively so you can still learn the parts, you'd just need to tune down to have them sound like the recorded versions.
Quote by Thefallofman

Goddamn Matt, you're an animal.

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by Millercaster
That answer was way past helpful! thanks a ton :-)
Yeah, I tend to do that with this band. You're welcome and have fun learning the parts.

Quote by Jazz Funeral

Goddamn Matt, you're an animal.
Did you expect anything less?
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
Did you expect anything less?

Actually, no.

No.

Not at all.

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
http://www.chrisrobinsonbrotherhood.com/2011/tour.php

Thu-Jun-28 » Asbury Park, NJ @ The Stone Pony
Fri-Jun-29 » Brooklyn, NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg

I'm also considering this one: Sat-Jun-30 » Wilmington, DE @ World Cafe Live
Quote by Thefallofman
Read on Facebook today that they're planning on releasing a Trigger Hippy song for us next week. Don't know if Audley recorded it, but it's still something to look forward to!
^^Yeah, I saw that. It should be Audley, seeing as they were in the studio long before they announced that he was leaving. Tennessee Mud would be nice, that song smokes.

By the way, just bought my CRB tickets to Asbury Park and Brooklyn I'm pretty excited to finally see a show inside the famed Stone Pony (I've seen two of their outdoor "Summerstage" shows but nothing inside the venue itself). Wilmington will be a last minute decision depending on what my monetary situation looks like at the time.
Quote by Thefallofman
And the aforementioned Trigger Hippy studio song has been released: Cave Hill Cemetery

My initial reaction? GOD DAMN.
Quote by Thefallofman
I've been working on Thorn in my Pride, and the night at the Roxy version has a sweet acoustic solo/interlude. Anyone know what that's called, or better yet if there's a tab for it?
No name for that, it's just an improvised jam section. Unfortunately there's no tab for it either.

Just picked up a copy of CRB's new album at a local record store. If you've heard the live show nothing on this album will be a surprise. Even the guitar tones are the same as the live show, which is a good thing in Neal's case but not so much for CR. All that said, this is a good album. I was a little apprehensive when I first saw the track lengths after they were posted a few weeks ago, but halfway through my second play through I'm glad to say that I think the lengths aren't a problem. Rosalee and Reflections are the highlights, Neal's solo at the end of Rosalee is killer. Tomorrow Blues the low point and I can't really say why, I liked the song live but I'm just not into it on this album.
Quote by Thefallofman
Saw CRB last night at the legendary Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ. Here's the setlist:

- Set One -
LET’S GO, LET’S GO
TOMORROW BLUES
EAGLES ON THE HIGHWAY
TULSA YESTERDAY
STAR OR STONE
LITTLE LIZZIE MAE
GIRL I LOVE YOU
POOR ELIJAH - TRIBUTE TO JOHNSON (MEDLEY)

- Set Two -
ROSALEE
100 DAYS OF RAIN
TRAIN ROBBERS
THEY LOVE EACH OTHER
VIBRATION & LIGHT SUITE
RIDE
MISSISSIPPI YOU'RE ON MY MIND
SUNDAY SOUND
- encore -
GOT LOVE IF YOU WANT IT

First set was good, but nothing too special. I was hoping to get a Lizzie Mae at one of the two shows I'm seeing (tonight is the second) and the band did it justice. The second set was what brought this show from good to great, in large part due to the surprise of the night: Train Robbers (well, not really a surprise if you heard the soundcheck ) and the always excellent Vibration and Light Suite. Train Robbers is my favorite CR solo original, so it was by far the highlight of the night for me. It's also worth noting that Mississippi had really, really good four part harmonies from CR, Neal, Adam, and Muddy.

As for gear, Neal is now playing a Les Paul through a Vox Tony Bruno (TB35C2) and he sounds just as good as he did with the SG + Fender Super Reverb. He added a couple of pedals but I actually didn't take too much time to really figure out what they were, though he's still using a Klon as a boost and adjusting the gain with his feet for solos. If I remember correctly, his delay was a Strymon El Capistan. CR had his usual rig: Vox Virage though a Silverface Twin Reverb. He kept an MXR Carbon Copy on for the entire show and used a Boss RE20 Space Echo for the longer delays. His tone was still thin to my ears, especially with that phaser that he loves so much.

Tonight is round 2 in Brooklyn, NY. I'm pulling for Reflections on a Broken Mirror, Girl on the Mountain, Tumbleweed in Eden or Star Crossed Lonely Sailor in terms of originals and Bertha or Althea for covers.
Quote by Thefallofman
I saw them in Milwaukee for the first show of the tour (second time I've seen Chris kick off a tour in Milwaukee, the first being the Say Goodbye to the Bad Guys tour).

I was much happier with this show than I was the first time I saw CRB. It's probably because I'm considerably more familiar with the new material, but they seemed pretty fresh too - hungry even. They played with more gusto and confidence, and maybe were a little less high.

We had dinner and killed time at a pub right behind Turner Hall, so I heard part of their soundcheck while I was out having a smoke. I didn't recognize the tune though... I noticed Neal's gear change right away, and that his tone wasn't nearly as piercing as it was the first time I saw them. But at the time he was cranking a big Fender in a venue with a capacity of 300 people. Seriously, my ears were ringing for more than a week afterward.

I got a "Bertha" too...

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Jul 1, 2012,
Quote by Jazz Funeral
They played with more gusto and confidence, and maybe were a little less high.
That was the case on Friday. Definitely seemed a little less high and it had the most effect on Neal, who was all over the place (in a good way).

Quote by Jazz Funeral
We had dinner and killed time at a pub right behind Turner Hall, so I heard part of their soundcheck while I was out having a smoke. I didn't recognize the tune though...
The Stone Pony's stage is literally right inside the front doors, so while I was hanging around in line before the show I heard the soundcheck clear as day. Hell, I even smelled the incense they had burning inside. They did Eagles On The Highway, Train Robbers, and something I didn't recognize (might have been Badlands, an original they debuted the next night).

Quote by Jazz Funeral
Ah, I'm jealous.

The Friday show in Brooklyn was as follows:

- Set One -
TRY ROCK N ROLL
JUMP THE TURNSTILE
CRASH ON THE LEVEE
STAR OR STONE
GOODBYE WHEELING
ROLL OLD JEREMIAH
DO RIGHT WOMAN
TULSA YESTERDAY

- Set Two -
ROSALEE
100 DAY OF RAIN
NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN
BADLANDS HERE WE COME (1st)
VIBRATION & LIGHT SUITE
RIDE
SILVER CAR
SUNDAY SOUND
- encore -
THAT’S HOW STRONG MY LOVE IS
SUGAREE

Highlight of the show was far and away Crash On The Levee. Holy crap did they kill that song. Overall I thought this was a better show than Thursday's (despite the seven repeats), stronger first set and an equal second set (Never Been To Spain and of course Vibration and Light were the highlights in the second set). Got a Dead cover in Sugaree, though I still would have preferred Bertha or Althea. Bottom line is that I had a blast at both of these shows and I really enjoy what this band is doing live.

Also, it figures...I decide not to make the trip down to Delaware for Saturdays show and they play Bertha, Reflections On A Broken Mirror, and Tumbleweed in Eden
Quote by Thefallofman
Thanks for the CRB reviews, Matt. Interesting that Neal is using a Vox guitar now too.

It's so hard to judge a band that's still finding itself, but it makes for interesting show experiences. I've got a few shows from the spring tour, and from what I've heard they still aren't quite firing on all cylinders. They just need a little more direction and dynamics in their improvisation- they rely too heavily on jamming into space and not going anywhere. It's the problem the Dead had with wide-open jamming in the later years- I've only heard one version of Dark Star from post-1979 where they actually go somewhere new instead of just reaching space and making noise for a while.

I have faith in CRB though, and I can't wait to see them again in August. Neal and Adam have both spent some time with Phil at Terrapin Crossroads recently, and that can only be a good thing.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Thefallofman
Thanks for the CRB reviews, Matt. Interesting that Neal is using a Vox guitar now too.
He's using a Gibson Les Paul, just the amp is Vox now. In this video of him testing out the TB35C2 he is playing a double cut Virage, and he says he likes the guitar as well so maybe he'll switch over to that soon too.

Quote by Thefallofman
It's so hard to judge a band that's still finding itself, but it makes for interesting show experiences. I've got a few shows from the spring tour, and from what I've heard they still aren't quite firing on all cylinders. They just need a little more direction and dynamics in their improvisation- they rely too heavily on jamming into space and not going anywhere. It's the problem the Dead had with wide-open jamming in the later years- I've only heard one version of Dark Star from post-1979 where they actually go somewhere new instead of just reaching space and making noise for a while.
Fair points. I think on some songs the jamming gets a little unnecessary (Sunday Sound is the best example I can come up with off the top of my head), but I've actually been surprised that they haven't really lost me in the really lengthy songs, like the 20+ minute Vibration and Light/Ride combo. I usually don't even like Ride, but the song actually rocks pretty hard live.
Quote by Thefallofman
Heard one of their songs last night on music choice.

I remember them from 1990
The more I listen to these CRB shows, the more I realize how awesome Vibration & Light Suite is.
Hey, I'm Mike.
^ It really is a fantastic song.

@Matt - "Eagles On The Highway" and "Train Robbers"? That must've whet the ol' appetite.

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by Thefallofman
The more I listen to these CRB shows, the more I realize how awesome Vibration & Light Suite is.
Best of the new originals, in my opinion.

Quote by Jazz Funeral
@Matt - "Eagles On The Highway" and "Train Robbers"? That must've whet the ol' appetite.
They soundchecked both of them so it wasn't exactly a surprise come showtime (it also didn't help that I could read the setlist before the show from where I was standing), but that didn't change the fact that they were both excellent. The thing about the Stone Pony is that the stage is literally right inside the front door, so when I got to the venue a few hours early I just sat outside the door and clearly heard the soundcheck. It was Eagles On The Highway, Train Robbers, and a song I didn't recognize but thinking back it might have been the new original Badlands, Here We Come that they debuted the next night. I nearly flipped a shit when I heard the Train Robbers soundcheck. Such a great song.

Quote by Millercaster
quiet day at work, so I was watching gear rundown videos. Luther's was pretty funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdMEYBQbS7s&feature=plcp
They both look and sound so high Also, "I got turned on to these playing with the Black Crowes, because that's an extremely loud environment" That rig probably works with the All-Stars, but I didn't like it with The Crowes. Somebody should remove the wiring to his neck pickup on all his guitars.
Quote by Thefallofman
From jambands.com:

The Magic Door contains seven songs: six originals—“Someday Past The Sunset,” “Vibration & Light Suite,” “Appaloosa,” “Little Lizzie Mae,” “Sorrows Of A Blue Eyed Liar” and “Wheel Don’t Roll”—plus a cover of Hank Ballard’s “Let’s Go, Let’s Go, Let’s Go,” a CRB set list staple. The songs (written by ROBINSON, with Neal Casal on “Wheel Don’t Roll” and Casal and Adam MacDougal on “Sorrows Of A Blue Eyed Liar&rdquo are all free flowing and some lengthy, with “Vibration & Light Suite” clocking in at 13:56.
Appaloosa and Little Lizzie Mae? I thought there would have been a few more originals that we haven't heard from that batch of 27 songs they recorded on this album. At the very least, Star Crossed Lonely Sailor would have been nice. Oh well, at least we're getting a studio Vibration and Light Suite.
Quote by Thefallofman
Any tab to "Answers" out there? I'm in open E on my acoustic (learning Little Martha/She talks to Angels) and I think this one's in E also
It is in open E and this tab is pretty much right on the money.

On a completely different note everyone needs to listen to One Man's Anger from the Sweet Pickle Salad sessions (note: they weren't actual Crowes sessions, just a little thing CR and MFF took part in), even if that video cuts off the last minute and 45 seconds of the song.
Quote by Thefallofman