Page 3 of 28
^^yeah? Would you mind asking him what's on his father's pedalboard at the moment?

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
^
Is there a site that tells what gear Rich uses?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
^^as far as effects go, I don't think many people know. Rich uses a rack, and I haven't seen anything online documenting what kind of effects he could be using (there was a great page on the Crowes official messageboard that had interviews throughout the years giving some insight into Rich/Jeff Cease (maybe?)/Marc Ford/Audley Freed's gear, but their boards are no longer up (and for the moment, neither is their website for that matter).

That being said, the only thing I do know offhand is that Rich owns some Fulltone gear. He has a gallery on his website showing all his guitars (www.richrobinson.net, click on gear) and here's a page from his old website showing all of his guitars/basses/keyboards/amps:

http://www.richrobinson.net/gear.php

Rich seems to love those Harry Joice amps, and I can tell you from experience that he turns those fuckers up LOUD.

Marc Ford is always fun, cause from what I've read, it seems like his board changes on a show to show basis

EDIT: and by the way, you can listen (in a lower quality then the actual release) to Rich's solo album "Paper" on his website (seems like you can hear the full album). It shows where the driving force in the Black Crowes really is
EDIT 2: regarding Rich's solo album, Answers is one of my favorite songs ever.
Quote by Thefallofman
Soooo, I go to the Black Crowes' website today, which had been down for a couple of weeks last year (strange saying that...) figuring it should be up sometime soon maybe with some news, and what do I find?

TOUR DATES.

First date, March 2nd, 2008 at the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, NJ. Now, this venue is 20 minutes from me, and as some of you that may know (if you know me well enough), I saw the Crowes there in '06 and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. So I guess I can say I'm absolutely fucking overjoyed at this news

Another plus, this little tour they've put together features the entire Warpaint album as a first set. Keep in mind that that show is on March 2nd, and the album is released on March 4th. PRE-RELEASE LIVE PERFORMANCEEEE!

Ah I'm so happy right now
Quote by Thefallofman
Why is it that they never play anywhere close to me?
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
^ +1

EDIT:
Holy crap!! I nearly did something in my pants when I saw that stack of guitar cases. I wish I had that many.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
^
They played at a festival here a few months back, but unfortunately I had to miss that because the rest of the acts weren't worth the money it'd probably cost, I had a wedding to attend that day, and I was out of a job at that point
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Last year, they played in Atlantic City one day after I left the beach house I stay at. I was so disappointed.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

I don't know the Black Crowes very well, musically, but I know that they're a jam band and from what I've seen and heard everyone is extremely talented, so I know it'd be worth seeing them.

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
^^It is absolutely worth seeing them. Considering these shows will be two sets, I'd bet that you'll definitely get your money's worth too. Usually when the Black Crowes play two sets, the shows last anywhere from 2 and a half to 3 hours (they do a lot of huge jams), and depending on the length of the new album, I'd say these shows should be somewhat around the same length.

Quote by Cptbeefheart
Why is it that they never play anywhere close to me?
They'll add more dates
Quote by Thefallofman
^
Come to think of it, I don't know why I thought they'd pass up New Orleans? Do the people there scare them that much?

They scare me too....

I'm sure it'd be worth seeing them. From what I've seen on Concert TV OnDemand, they play epic jams (some of which last for 10 minutes Who doesn't wanna hear that?).

^^For example, just yesterday I listened to a show with a 9 minute Downtown Money Waster which segued into a 22 minute Thorn In My Pride. Best jam I've ever heard from them though was the My Morning Song from 2006-11-08. That song on that night was off the fucking charts. Maybe I'm a little biased cause I was there, but the buildup at the end was insane.

And you never know where they'll play next...last time they played the Starland Ballroom (the same 2006-11-08 show I just mentioned), somebody threw a bottle of beer at Chris Robinson (Robinson responded with this "Hey who fucking threw that?! Which asshole threw that?! Who did it? Yeah, fuck off outta here! Nice. Cheers, nice knowing you man. Cheers, beatiful. You're parents did a wonderful job raising you." ). When that happened, I remember thinking to myself "shit...there goes any future shows at this venue" but alas, they're kicking off the Warpaint tour there

EDIT: I'm assuming the show you saw on Concert TV On Demand is the Freak and Roll DVD. The first three songs (Halfway to Everywhere, Sting Me, No Speak No Slave), Space Captain, and the acoustic Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz and Cursed Diamond are all very good on that DVD.
EDIT 2: Wiser Time was a bit of a let down though...the acoustic rhythm guitar gave it too light of a feel.
EDIT 3: Man, I can talk about this band all day
EDIT 4: P&HF, they've played in New Orleans atleast once every year since 1990 (besides 93/94 and 96/97, and 2000)
Quote by Thefallofman
^
Here, I'll post so that you can go on some

I've actually got that Freak N' Roll CD, and the show was part of the DVD. The songs were Soul Singing and Hard to Handle (that they showed), and maybe there was another one once upon a time, but they probably removed it (bastards). I like it except for the fact that Robinson can't sing that stuff half as well as he does in the studio. But then again, it'd pretty hard to match all of those performances night after night and by the end of a tour he wouldn't be able to speak, much less sing

Edit: Well, he can't sing Hard to Handle as well as he did in the studio. I don't have anything to compare the rest of the songs to

^^I wasn't impressed by the Soul Singing on there, I've heard better. Hard to Handle as well. With that song it just seems like, even though it might be their most commercially successful song, and it is a good song, it's not really them.

Robinson can be night and day with his vocals. I've heard shows where he's sounded terrific, and then there are others where he's awful.

EDIT: He never sings Hard to Handle even remotely the same live. After playing a song 676 times live, I don't blame him
EDIT: No Speak No Slave is a smokin' opening song.
Quote by Thefallofman
^
Well that's like an interview I read with Alex Lifeson recently. He says that he probably doesn't play some of the chord voicings to songs like Tom Sawrer the same way that he did on an album anymore, because he in truth doesn't go back and listen to the songs to figure exactly what in the hell he did, and on each tour you've keep the song interesting for yourself The gist of this, obviously, is that you've gotta keep things interesting from night to night or you'll go crazy

So how many of the shows have you listened to from the Page/Crowes tour? Did he change the melodies up a lot from night to night on that? I would only imagine so, just from wear and tear on one's voice from night to night and adapting to it.

^^I only have one show from that tour, so I can't really say.
Quote by Thefallofman
^From the two shows I heard from that tour, I really didn't hear a whole lot of change in the melodies. However, its just two shows, so I can't really say either.

^^I mean, granted, you're going to hear little variations, and a couple of added words here and there, but when they play Hard to Handle, Robinson doesn't come anywhere close to the recorded version at some times in the song
Quote by Thefallofman
^
Believe me, I know it The one thing that I've always hated about live versions of that song is just that he doesn't sing it half as good as he does in the studio. I've never heard a live version of that song that -- vocally -- I enjoyed. He always removes words and **** and at times the songs just sound empty because of it.

^^I'm growing a little tired of Hard to Handle to be honest. I mean, sure, they do jam for a good 7 minutes at the end of the song when they play it live, but like I said before, it just doesn't seem like them anymore.

By the way, their new song sounds very good. Check their website (www.blackcrowes.com) and click "listen" to hear it.
Quote by Thefallofman
^
Sure thing. As soon as my dad stops playing Galaga My brother got that on the X-Box and that's pretty much the only game he's ever cared about, so we walk back there this morning and see him holding an X-Box remote and hear all these '80s game sounds

Hard to Handle would get pretty boring after a while, but I don't listen to/play it very often, so it's still a fresh song for me

I just was listening to Amorica for the first time in awhile and Wiser Time came through. Damn that song is great, that slide solo is awesome. Just though I'd mention that.

Last edited by Cptbeefheart at Jan 13, 2008,
^^My favorite part of Wiser Time is when the keyboard solo comes in. It's so laid back, I love it. The vocal harmonies in that song are also very good in my opinion (no matter how many people think Rich can't sing).
Quote by Thefallofman
I've got that song on a Greatest Hits comp. I'll need to check it out later. Thanks for mentioning it.

^^Does Ballad in Urgency precede it? The segue between the two is great (though they might have added the chords from the very end of Ballad to the beginning of Wiser, to make it a smooth opening).

You know, speaking of Wiser Time, in all the recent shows I have that include that song, the keyboard solos have pretty much been very bad. Sorry Adam MacDougall, but it sounds like a 5th grader is playing it. He sounds good on some other stuff (Descending, for instance...though no one can recreate Ed's style of playing that one), but his Wiser Time solos are weak.

EDIT: Is this the greatest hits you're talking about?
Quote by Thefallofman
In order:

Jealous Again
Twice As Hard
Hard to Handle
She Talks to Angels
Remedy
Sting Me
Thorn In My Pride
Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye
A Conspiracy
Wiser Time
Good Friday
Blackberry
Kickin' My heart Around
Go Faster
Only A Fool
By Your Side

16 songs in all if you didn't count 'em. What do you think? Good? Bad?

^^Jealous Again, Twice As Hard, Hard to Handle, She Talks To Angels are all good, but my favorite song from the first album is Struttin' Blues. Remedy, Sting Me and Thorn are all among their best (as popular as they may be), Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye is a nice ballad-type, but far from their best (song or ballad), and if they were going to put another one from Southern Harmony, I would have chosen No Speak No Slave or My Morning Song. A Conspiracy is far from one of the best on Amorica (Gone, Cursed Diamond, She Gave Good Sunflower, P.25 London, Ballad-->Wiser, Descending are all better tracks if you ask me), but Wiser Time has always been a favorite of mine. Good Friday is a great song (sounds a bit like Breathe by Pink Floyd, no?), but Blackberry should have been replaced, that's probably the weakest song on Three Snakes and One Charm in my opinion. The last four are all good songs (I love Go Faster and Kickin' My Heart Around) but Virtue and Vice and especially Horsehead could replace Only a Fool and By Your Side.
Quote by Thefallofman
^
I'm not a really big fan of Kickin' My Heart Around. Good Friday is awesome, though. I honestly haven't listen to that whole album many times, though, and don't remember half of the tracks I remember thinking "If this track has Marc Ford playing then I see why Matt talks about him so much" though You mentioned him and I heard a song that I thought he played on and said "Holy ****!"

^^Take a listen to No Speak No Slave from Southern Harmony and Musical Companion. Ford tears it up on lead guitar. He played with them on Southern Harmony, Amorica, and Three Snakes and One Charm. Tracks 5-12 cover those albums on that greatest hits CD.
Quote by Thefallofman
Yea, I started with that greatest hits compilation as well before moving to the actual albums. Its a good jumping point for an early Crowes fan. But there are some songs on there that don't fit. Blackberry (like Matt said) is one of the band's weakest songs and A Conspiracy isn't really a strong track either.

^^I like A Conspiracy, it's just that the rest of Amorica is so good, I often overlook it.
Quote by Thefallofman
Black Berry is cool. I really love that song

^^The rest of Three Snakes and Once Charm is much better though
Quote by Thefallofman
^
Eh, that's subjective. I don't really like Kicking My Heart Around, but you do

I'm definitely gonna start buying some of their albums, though. Would you think that buying them in order would be a good idea, just to slowly get introduced to where they are now from where they were? I prefer their older stuff, from what I've heard, so that's the way I'm thinking of going with this.

^^It doesn't really matter, you can't really go wrong with any of their releases, with the possible exception of Lions. Lions is definitely their weakest studio effort, but it does have some very good tracks on it (Midnight From The Inside Out, Greasy Grass River, Soul Singing mainly).
Quote by Thefallofman
^
Then I'll probably buy that one last

I've never been to a proper concert; do you think they'll be selling War Paint at those shows? If so, then I'll just wait 'till I see 'em (if I can get tickets) to buy that one.

^^I don't think they'd be selling the album at the shows, but it would be nice to buy it two days before it comes out if they are

Speaking of live Crowes...I wouldn't even spend the money on their Live album, and actually, I wouldn't buy the Freak and Roll CD either (I have the DVD though). Now I know this is coming from someone with over 70 Black Crowes shows, but there are just too many quality recordings of better shows out there for me to want to pay (keyword "pay" ) for those releases.
Quote by Thefallofman
^
I bought the Freak and Roll CD a long time ago, but I don't plan on buying any more of their live albums I'm hoping to get into bootleg shows soon enough, and based on what you've said there are supposed to be Black Crowes shows in abundance, so I'll have no trouble getting shows that I like

^^You know, I went back and checked my external drive, and sure enough, I have one of the shows that their Live CD (the one that was released in 2002) was recorded at It was recorded on October 30th and 31st of 2001...I have the 31st.

The Crowes didn't allow audience taping at the show that was recorded for the Freak and Roll release, but it turns out they released the entire show (minus the first ever cover of Loving Cup by the Rolling Stones) on the CD/DVD.
Quote by Thefallofman