Page 4 of 28
^
They probably did that so that people would actually buy it. I'd bet willing to be any kind of money that their Live CD didn't do half as well as Freak and Roll purely because people knew they could get it in the form of a bootleg for free.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Last edited by Page&HammettFan at Jan 15, 2008,
Ive heard really good stuff about these guys. Can someone recommend me some songs that will get me into them?
RHCP Track Of The Week: Funny Face

'QUEEN ARE THE MOST OVERRATED BAND SINCE THE BEATLES' - A controversial comment which I firmly believe.
Start with Shake Your Moneymaker and go from there.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by Flea's#1fan
Ive heard really good stuff about these guys. Can someone recommend me some songs that will get me into them?
Just buy Southern Harmony and Musical Companion and/or Amorica and work from there.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I wish I knew more about the Crowes when times like these came around...

But if you're just looking for songs, I doubt you could go wrong with any of the following:

Hard to Handle
Bad Luck Blue Eyes Good Bye
She Talks to Angels
Remedy
Wiser Time
Jealous Again
Twice As Hard

God that's all I can think of off the top of my head because I haven't memorized any actual song titles

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
I just bought my tickets for the March 2nd show

And I'm listening to the sixth of seven shows at the Hammerstein Ballroom in 2005 That was a smokin' set of shows...man what a comeback.
Quote by Thefallofman
Did they play Bad Luck Blue Eyes at that show? I've been really diggin' that song lately. It's awesome

^^Actually, yeah they did. I've been listening to these shows without looking at the setlists, so I don't know what's coming.

So far it's been:
Don't Do It (The Band's arrangement)
Sting Me
Another Roadside Tragedy
Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye
Let Me Share The Ride-->
Mellow Down Easy (Willie Dixon)
Sister Luck
Jam-->
Thorn In My Pride (is it sad that I knew this was coming after a couple of seconds of the 11 minute jam that preceded it?)
Quote by Thefallofman
I would be pumped if they played Don't Do It at a show I went to. I love that song to death.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

^^It's a good song, but I'm kinda on the fence about it as an opener. I've heard some nice ones (the one from this show I'm listening to now was pretty good), but then there were others (2005-03-25) that seemed to set the tone for what turned out to be a lackluster show.
Quote by Thefallofman
Eh, opener? I don't like that at all. I think it would fit a lot better mid-set.

I like that set, based on what of it I looked at, and what I know from it.

BD, it's not sad that you knew it was going to be Thorn In My Pride, but actually a bit hilarious What are you, their biggest fan?

^^Nah, I guess it's just the little clues that I pick up on from the jams they do in other shows I've heard. For example, the Black Moon Creeping jam is a dead giveaway

Here's that full set from that show if you were wondering:

2005-03-29 Hammerstein Ballroom

Don't Do It
Sting Me
Another Roadside Tragedy
Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye
Share The Ride ->
Mellow Down Easy
Sister Luck
Jam -> Thorn's Progress -> Thorn In My Pride
Sometimes Salvation
High Head Blues
A Conspiracy
By Your Side
Under A Mountain
Remedy
- encore -
Shake Your Money Maker
Happy

Overall, a very good listen, but the best shows from this '05 Hammerstein run were easily 2005-03-26 and 2005-03-27.

EDIT: Well, looks like part of that Thorn In My Pride intro jam actually has it's own title...Thorn's Progress.
Quote by Thefallofman
^Is that Happy the Rolling Stones' Happy?

^^Yes
Quote by Thefallofman
I don't know if I like a show that ends on a cover. I mean Happy is a great song, but I think I would rather have an original close the show.

Last edited by Cptbeefheart at Jan 17, 2008,
^^well then don't see the Black Crowes Nine times out of ten they'll end with a cover as an encore. The first time I saw them they were the opener, so no encore, but the second time I got Around and Around and the third was Got To Get Better In A Little While. When they don't close with a cover, the encore is usually something like Hard to Handle, Twice As Hard, or She Talks To Angels.
Quote by Thefallofman
^Oh, I could definitely deal with a cover closer if I got to see them. It is cool to see them work a couple covers into the sets. Probably keeps the band on their toes.

^^Yeah. They do a lot of covers...I've got 11 discs worth of straight up cover songs they've done over the years.
Quote by Thefallofman
^Nice, where did you get that?

^^bt.etree.org.

Cover Me With A Good Dream Pt. 1 (5 discs, spans the beginning of their career to '97, with a couple of tracks from 2001)
The Year of the Crowes Vol. I (3 discs, from the 2005 tour)
The Year of the Crowes Vol. II (3 discs, from the 2005-2006 tours)
Quote by Thefallofman
^Thanks a lot. I'll definitely be grabbing those in the near future.

I liked that Page and the Crowes Live at the Greek album because of the covers The Crowes cover songs so well. I'd be perfectly happy in hearing them do a cover at the end of the set

Thanks for posting that set Matt. Looks like it was a great show.

Mmm, I love the song Virtue and Vice. That video is from 2007-08-12 where Virtue and Vice was an opener. What a way to open a show
Quote by Thefallofman
^
The rhythm guitar in the intro to that song is awesome

^^That's exactly why I love it. Rich Robinson is awesome.
Quote by Thefallofman
^
Damn right. The more I listen to that Greatest Hits comp of mine the more I wanna buy their records! Unfortunately I don't have a job right now so I don't have the money to buy them with...

^^Psst...check your PMs
Quote by Thefallofman
Happy Martin Luther King day indeed Thanks for sending that. Can't wait to see what's in there

I'm gonna keep posting in here whether anyone cares or not, cause I like rambling on about this band

I'm listening to 2006-07-14, a show which contained the first full acoustic set since 1997-02-22 (A show I also have), and I'm liking it. So far it's been:

Good Friday (I love this song. Three Snakes is a great album)
Wiser Time (FULL acoustic, as opposed to the Freak and Roll version...this one is much better. A user on crowsebase mentioned that the solo sections were switched around, I'll have to go back and listen cause I didn't pay attention close enough to realize)
Jealous Again
Girl From The North Country
She Talks To Angels ( at the crowd singing the first line too early)
Darling of the Underground Press
Quote by Thefallofman
^
That sounds like an awesome set. And yeah, I'm gonna keep talking about this band, because they're one of those rare ones that has me utterly intrigued

Good Friday and Wiser Time are both so awesome. I can't picture Jealous Again acoustic, though, to be honest

^^I like Jealous Again acoustic. Keeps an old song fresh.

The full set was this:

- Set One (acoustic) -
Good Friday
Wiser Time
Jealous Again
Girl From The North Country
She Talks To Angels
Darling Of The Underground Press
Wyoming And Me
Let It Be Gone
Welcome To The Goodtimes
Cold Boy Smile
Ain't No More Cane On The Brazos
Let It Bleed

- Set Two (electric) -
Lay It All On Me
High Head Blues -> Jam
Magic Rooster Blues
Downtown Money Waster -> Jam ->
Jam -> Thorn In My Pride
Song Of Love
Girl From A Pawnshop
Soul Singing
L.A.
Hard To Handle
Remedy
- encore -
Boomers Story

Solid show altogether, though Boomer's Story is a weak encore. Magic Rooster Blues should be put on some future album, that song sounds very good. Hard to Handle was the short version (no extended outro jam), and I believe Soul Singing was also a standard short version. L.A. (yes, Neil Young's L.A., with Marc Ford on vocals) was awesome. I the Crowes covering Neil Young. Downtown $-->Thorn was a good half hour, with a drum solo in Thorn.
Quote by Thefallofman
I can't wait to see those guys, because I know it's gonna rock I'm gonna see so many concerts this year Not to mention when our local Jazz Festival rolls around... Last year they had the Counting Crowes, George Benson, ZZ Top, and many many others... Rod Stewart was one of them. I'm hoping for Gov't Mule this year and the Crowes would be awesome too, but I doubt they'll be there. I'm not ruling out Gov't Mule though, because my dad saw them there once

http://www.blackcrowes.com/Release_SO_ONOS.html

A major market multiple night U.S. tour will begin in May, with cities and venues to be announced in the near future.
Quote by Thefallofman
^Thats great news for me...

^^Yeah, I'm interested to see some more tour dates. I'd love to see them twice (three times? Depends on where they play) in two months. I'm also wondering whether it'll be "An Evening With..." or if they'll play with an opener (or two).

EDIT: I'm listening to the 2006-07-12 show right now...LUCIFER SAM ENCORE!!
EDIT 2: 2006-07-15 is next
EDIT 3: Anyone here ever hear the song Waiting Guilty? They threw this one in the 3 spot in this show I'm listening to, and man do I love it. First time I ever heard the song was the 2nd time I saw them, they opened with it, it kicked ass. The song starts with a jam where everyone just kinda noodles into it and then they all come together as the main riff starts
Quote by Thefallofman
I'm gonna be checking YouTube for sure now...

Quote by BrainDamage
^^Yeah, I'm interested to see some more tour dates. I'd love to see them twice (three times? Depends on where they play) in two months. I'm also wondering whether it'll be "An Evening With..." or if they'll play with an opener (or two).

EDIT: I'm listening to the 2006-07-12 show right now...LUCIFER SAM ENCORE!!
EDIT 2: 2006-07-15 is next
EDIT 3: Anyone here ever hear the song Waiting Guilty? They threw this one in the 3 spot in this show I'm listening to, and man do I love it. First time I ever heard the song was the 2nd time I saw them, they opened with it, it kicked ass. The song starts with a jam where everyone just kinda noodles into it and then they all come together as the main riff starts

They kicked off the last show I went to with Waiting Guilty, closed with Don't Do It.

10-19-07 The Pageant in St Lou. Love the Crowes was thinkin about attendin the Owensboro show, to hear the new album.
^
I don't see any dates near me, but I'm sure they'll probably play the Voodoo Fest. in October. They have for the past two years, so I don't see why they wouldn't this year.