This may be quite unorthodox for a guitar forum for asking drum questions (as most of you find drummers to be none musical), but also I find that alot of people on this website have a band, and therefore have a drummer. So going from this assumption, I can ask you, how should i be playing double bass? Heel up, or Heel down?

This is for stuff like Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, and stuff like that.

thx in advanced

pepsi
i play very unorthodox.

i have it rigged so when my heel goes down i hit another pedal.

its quadruple bass. and it owns ye noobs.
Quote by unplugtheradio
i play very unorthodox.

I did that too, makes it so easy.
Dickless.
i dont play drums but ive tried my drummers set and heel up is hard enough with double bass, let alone heel down
I play heel up when I do play drums, but a lot of metal players seem to prefer heel-down for more speed, but their power suffers.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Interchange, thats what the world record doublebasser does
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
i can only do heel up, but even then i can only go for a few hits
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Quote by unplugtheradio
i play very unorthodox.

theres a name for that, Heel toe. check some of the worlds fastest drummer stats from a few years back, someone got some insane amount doing it

regardless, heel down (flat footed) needs more effort.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Heel up, but I'm not really a drummer.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
A drummer friend told me you're supposed to start out heel down to keep more control and then move to heel up for faster stuff.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
If you want to learn how to play like Lamb of god, and Children of bodom, most of the time they play 16th notes with the heel up, which to be honest is because they are lazy and nevered bothered to develop their ankle and shin muscles, but instead their thigh and calf muscles (whatever their technical name is)

The first step in my opinion is to learn to play double bass with the heel up, then again with heels down.

Now, if you really want to impress youre drumming freinds, you need to learn to play "heel toe technique", its much like a double stroke as with the hands, excpet you play it with youre feet instead.

Although it is probably the easisest "gimmick" for drums along with the one handed drum roll, its probably one of the hardest to explain to someone.

You could sit there all day trying to play 16th notes at 160b.p.m, but youll know about it after half anhour of it, much like an exorsise bike.

I can manage 16th notes at about 200 b. p. m, or 32nd at 100 b.p.m, or hemi - demi- semi quavers (64ths at 50 b.p.m lol) for about half an hour, and get tired of it because its boring, but these videos should help you on youre quest in death metal drumming and insanley stupidly fast 16th notes on the bass.

Derek pope's a great teacher in my opinion, he dosent waffle.

(check out my video on how to achieve various one hand roll techniques using moeller and freehand

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=nickdixon99 )

Double bass video on heel toe technique ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKS9a9NuPc&mode=related&search=
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
^
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I go all back and forth like what john bonham did on his single pedal too make it sound double,so i got a quad.
lol IMO You should play however you feel comfortable, I play heel up, cos I think it'as alot easier :P but I know loads of people how prefer heels down, In the end its whichever you prefer or makes you play better.
Quote by Ratmlz
I go all back and forth like what john bonham did on his single pedal too make it sound double,so i got a quad.

john bonhoma used a ludwig speed king, I have no idea why they stopped making this pedal, but it was made for using it for doing heel toe / slide tech.

John bonham never used either, he just could play quick double dabs on the pedal.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
heel up. so it also use your muscles on your leg, not just the foot.
Helow! I'm just new here... a left-handed guitarist.... idolizes Zacky Vengeance of A7X....