the time has come for me to learn which notes are where on the fretboard. there seems to be a few different methods of learning it, which is the easiest or fastest method, or is it different for everybody? it looks a bit of a mission!!!
Try learning how to read sheet music...that'll teach you the fretboard in a hurry. Also, be on the lookout for patterns too, as that'll quicken the learning process a lot.
just know a tone, and 2 frets higher and to strings higher there is the same one
and also:
learn c major scale
and the other ones...d major etc.
and name the note as you play it
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
a note on one string is the same note on the string below it 5 frets lower. if that made any sense.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
What I would do is create an Excel spreadsheet that models the fretboard - As I like excel - and begin to fill in the notes. Start with the open tuning notes (note the fretboard repeats itself on the 12th) and then begin to pick up patterns and fill in the notes.

Here is a good starting point, if you are getting stuck, http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_db.html

After you have the correct notes then copy the diagram and make it blank and try to fill it in. Compare your work to the key and see how to improve. Then get another blank diagram and only fill in one type of note (for instance all the E's).
You'll get it in no time.

DJ
If you go linear, the notes are in alphabetical order.

Eg. Astring

Open: A
1st fret: A#/Bb
2nd: B
3rd: C
4th: C#/Db
5th: D
6th: D#/Eb
7th: E
8th: F
9th: F#/Gb
10th: G
11th: G#/Ab
12: A

Does that make any sense?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
ok, thanks for the help. that makes perfect sense. i think ill leave the guitars in their cases for a while and make some diagrams straight away. how long do you think it should take to memorise the whole thing?
depends on how fast of a learneer you are. Don't cram yourself, or else it wont stick wit you, maybe learn a couple frets at a time (all 6 strings), play some stuff, learn a couple mroe frets, etc etc. But remember, you don't need to memorize past the 12th fret, because then it just repeats.

Quote by RadioHead22
No problem. Just don't cram your brain alot, and remember to still have fun with it, too.

Quote by RadioHead22
My brother downloaded some program called Fretboard Warrior or something like that. It's free so search it if you want.
Quote by twistedmaggot
a note on one string is the same note on the string below it 5 frets lower. if that made any sense.

or 7 frets higher...

Of course this changes on the G to B strings
Just remember the name of the root note and the 5th of a scale. That is always a good place to start. Arpegios(?) are a good way to learn notes on the fretboard and its fun and a great exercise that you will be able to really use in your playing.
epic7734
I would also learn note relationships.

(Fifth fret is open on next string, two open are fourths, etc.)

Of course, the b string is the exception.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
There is a book out called 'Fretboard Roadmaps' by Fred Sokolow which I'd recommend.
This basically says to learn the 6th & 5th strings. Spot check yourself on the 6th and 5th string. Then play the 6th string and 4th string octaves to learn the 4th string notes and repeat downwards.

I actually have a fretboard diagram on my computer. I'll upload it, but it needs to be reversed as I've edited it for left handed players (basically just cut and paste each string so that it reads right for righty's )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/mister_miagi/Notes.gif
UG's only Manic Street Preachers Fan [So It Seems]
임정현 / FunTwo - Canon Rock
2006 sucked anyways!
Damn stoopid signature