Anyone have a good idea of how long guitar lessons are worth it?

I just calculated and a year of lessons is $912, which is money I could spend on a better guitar and amp lol!

Anyways, I've been taking lessons like 3 or 4 months, and I can play stuff like Black Dog and Stairway to Heaven intros by Zep, and right now I'm learning theory and stuff at lessons... I plan on talking to my teacher about this as well, but is it really worth it when I can just practice, practice, practice and learn theory from a book?
Depends if your teacher is any good.

EDIT: As a teacher, not as a guitarist. He doesn't have to be satch to teach you well.
Well... I think he's good, I mean he's helpful and he knows what he's talking about... he's professional too (Doesn't like talk on the phone during lessons and isn't late or anything).
Well, I had a bad experience with a guitar teacher, that was a good player, but didn't know how to teach. The problem is with guitars teacher when you're only starting to play guitar, is that you can't realy if they are any good.

EDIT: I say don't be a passive student, if he teaches you something look it up, read it on your own too. When you get stuck on something tell him about it, maybe you're doing something wrong.
Last edited by Hells_Bell at Jan 15, 2007,
your teacher should be mroe than just a guy that shows u how to play the guitar, if possible, he should be a mentor that u can learn from and be inspired by in more ways than just what to play, he should be able to teach you how and why to play aswell. I'd pay my 100 quid a lesson for my teacher if i had to Try not to get sucked into getting the first teacher you find, shop around.
Quote by Atreideslegend
your teacher should be mroe than just a guy that shows u how to play the guitar, if possible, he should be a mentor that u can learn from and be inspired by in more ways than just what to play, he should be able to teach you how and why to play aswell. I'd pay my 100 quid a lesson for my teacher if i had to Try not to get sucked into getting the first teacher you find, shop around.

Maybe I'm weird, but people don't inspire me... unless they inspire me to become better than them >_>