So we've got a small show at school (like 15 minutes) and we've decided on doing a Red Hot Chili Peppers tribute concert (we get more in the future to do other bands). So the song choice.

We've thought:
Parallel Universe with improvised solo at the end
Throw Away your Television (live version with long solo at the end)
Fire (Jimi Hendrix Cover)

What do you people think, good combination of songs in a good order? I dont want to play all the super well known songs like Dani California and Californication as that would be too predictable. So a good play list?
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
cant stop is a sweet opener but like if you do a jam in the beginning it makes it way better and builds up the suspense
check out the itunes originals version, ill email it if you want ( PM me)
and putting snow in there would probably make the crowd go wild even tho id hate to do it because its sooo well known
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
If its a Red Hot Chili Peppers cover thing, why play a Jimi Hendrix song? I know they played it, but its hardly their song. You should do some early stuff, like Police Helicopter, Fight Like A Brave, as its, frankly, much better.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Dani California......maybe Suck my KIss, Love Rollercoaster or Under the Bridge
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Right On Time
Emit Remmus
Fortune Faded
Easily
If you're going to do something wrong, do it
right.
i've covered can't stop before at a pub gig, had to play it a tone down cos the singer couldn't sing the parts in standard tuning

if ur singer can sing that fast then thats added to your setlist
Ya Cant Stop would be an awesome song to do. Anything would work though. Like its the chili peppers, they are so versatile.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Righteous and the Wicked would be awesome.
"An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind"- Mahatma Ghandi
Higher Ground would be a good cover to cover....haha. Scar Tissue, and Givitaway are other good tunes.
try some of their "not-total-pop-hit-songs". Yeah. those are the best to play at tribute concerts... assuming you're doing a tribute and not a coverathon.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
personally i would not do fire. if you want to do a song of thiers that is a cover, i would go for higher ground. its a great cover because its obviously the original song, but with a chili peppers twist to make it recognizable as their version. thats the mark of a great cover IMO.

now, i would also say dont do more than 1 of their radio hits if you are doing a tribute (like UtBDan said). some of their older stuff would definatly be in order if you wanted a real tribute theme, or at least some of their songs that have never seen radio play. and you cant have a tribute to RHCP if you dont play songs from the Hillel Slovak era, its just not a tribute.
I like the idea of doing Cant Stop as the opener instead of Parallel universe. And I agree with everyones suggestion about Fire. As a Hillel era song, how about Me & My Friends?

So the new playlist:

Intro Jam (whilst everyone is coming in) - same key as cant stop
Cant Stop
Throw Away your Television live version
Me & My Friends

I like the idea of playing snow but I have to odd day when I cant play it as well and this show is an assembly so about 8:30am so Id probably mess up
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Last edited by Jimbo999 at Jan 16, 2007,
i would put in a bit of
Behind The Sun
or
Higher Ground (even though that IS a cover, we all know it gave them popularity)

they are both probably failrly unknown
as is :
Power Of Equality

which has one of the most awesome bass lines ever

then maybe you could put in something from the new album that people havnt heard much yet?
Wet Sand?
Turn It Again?
Readymade?
they wont be so expected.
but im afraid, you MUST end on Under The Bridge
no question about it.
I like the suggestion^.

So how about this playlist
Higher Ground
Wet Sand
Power of Equality
Under the Bridge
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

greeting song naked in the rain readymade torture me!!!!!!

maybe a slow one though so maybe i could have lied, thats a nice song with a decent solo
enjoy it
id say stick with cant stop + intro jam whatever you do
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects: