Page 1 of 2
Hi, i installed windows vista recently, but it didn't delete my old windows xp. Instead, it took every folder of windows xp like "my documents","program files","windows folder" and kept it on the HD. What should i do? Can i delete that?.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
There's an ONLY computer thread. Use that one please.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501772
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

theyve released vista? geez. If only this rock i was under wasnt so god damn heavy.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
i agree with captainkurt. get a mac.
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
you will realise that its actually just replace what files it needed to in 'windows', and it WILL keep your documents, for various reasons.

besides, vista is a hunk of shit.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
The actual answer is yes, if you don't need any of the documents from your old computer. They should all be in a Windows.old file, wich is perfectly safe to delete once you've rescued what you want to keep.

And try a mac before you buy one if your thinking of it. Too many mac evangelists around who will tell you they're amazing, but i found the OS to be clunky and awkward. It was like using iTunes as my OS.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Ok, thanks for the replies. Can i delete the old "program files" too?.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
It's because windows vista is just windows xp with new icons. Get linux.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Just check in your new program files folder. If they're there, then yes, absolutely. If not, then you ould copy them over, but your probably best reinstalling them all. Some programmes don't like that.

Quote by captainkurt
windows will do that sort of thing to ya....get a mac

+1 Mac All The Way
Ok, i will do delete it. Thanks again!.

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Muphin
It's because windows vista is just windows xp with new icons. Get linux.

Best definition of Windows Ever

we need to start a linux fanclub

Quote by metaldud536

if people only realized how much OS-X really sucks, they wouldn't run their trap so much. Most mac-heads don't look below the surface and see the massive amount of flaws that exist in OS-X and all of Apple's products. They are generally to ignorant to admit it, just like the company that produces the products.

and Vista is only in RC2 atm, its not a final release.
Last edited by LordSephiroth at Jan 15, 2007,
Considering you're a huge comp-geek (sorry) seph, i'll have to ask, what are these flaws?

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by LordSephiroth
if people only realized how much OS-X really sucks, they wouldn't run their trap so much. Most mac-heads don't look below the surface and see the massive amount of flaws that exist in OS-X and all of Apple's products.

I agree with the stuff about macs. I find the damn things near inoperable sometimes. Plus they have serious compatibility issues sometimes.

However, i think Vista is out at the end of this month, i guess they've finalized it now. However, it's a lot more than just new icons as people seem to think. I personally think both microsoft and apple are money hungry power freaks, but i do really like Vista. As an OS, i find it more stable, easier to use and with a lot more features than OS-X on my girlfriends Macbook.

I still think Vista is a pointless upgrade. too much Razzle Dazzle and not enough brute.

i mean, look at the stats for it to run!

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by IndieMetalhead
I still think Vista is a pointless upgrade. too much Razzle Dazzle and not enough brute.

i mean, look at the stats for it to run!

True, but if you look at a lot of the mid to high end specs now, a lot of PCs have the power to perform the visuals while keeping their system running more than fast enough.

thats microsofts and apples biggest problem. they're not catering to the low end pc users. or the businesses. 90% of businesses will have to buy new systems if they need vista. 50% won't upgrade for about 3 years after vista is released!

linux plug: it works on anything, wether its 5 days or 5 years old. of course, theres some non proprietry driver problems with newer hardware, but what do you expect from open source.

Quote by metaldud536

well, for one the month of January is the 'month of apple bugs'. Whenever there is a 'month of bugs', it means one previously undisclosed security flaw is released to the public every day of the month. There was one in November, I don't remember what for, but the one in July was browser bugs and a researcher released a flaw every day as promised.

So far he's been on track, he's released a flaw every day this month. This is driven by the fact that Apple has failed to communicate with the security community regarding flaws and failed to fix flaws until the absolute LAST possible minute and they continue to fill their users heads with lies about how secure their software is. One researcher about a year ago followed responsible disclosure procedures (IE he contacted Apple first) for a critical flaw. For 6 months he badgered them and harassed them to fix it, he never got a response from them and they never fixed it. He eventually got fed up and released it to the public (this was on a mailing list, I don't feel like digging up a source). Its gotten so bad that 3rd party patches to these flaws are being released since Apple doesn't do anything.

Software companies must take responsibility for the security of their products and part of doing that is working with the security community and Apple has completely failed to do that.

According to Secunia.com stats 38% of the flaws released in 2006 are unpatched, 42% of the flaws found were highly critical or extremely critical, 71% remote and 24% resulted in system access. Those are select stats, you can see them all at http://secunia.com/product/96/?task=statistics_2006

Sources:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/20/month_of_apple_bugs/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/08/apple_vulnerability/
http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5225115.html
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/256
http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/398

I'm having trouble loading some of my other sources :/

EDIT:

here is another good one
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/01/secfoc_macos/
Last edited by LordSephiroth at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by IndieMetalhead
thats microsofts and apples biggest problem. they're not catering to the low end pc users. or the businesses. 90% of businesses will have to buy new systems if they need vista. 50% won't upgrade for about 3 years after vista is released!

linux plug: it works on anything, wether its 5 days or 5 years old. of course, theres some non proprietry driver problems with newer hardware, but what do you expect from open source.

I see where your coming from, but thats not entirely true. I work in staples which sells varying ranges of computers, and even with Vista just around the corner and MCE being the standard, we still get in low end laptops and desktops under £300 with Home edition installed and lower specs catered for (40BG HDD, 256 RAM, Celeron M, intel graphics). Apple, however, i agree with you on. for what you get in the systems, i really cannot believe the prices.

As for linux, i have nothing against it. I used it for a little while when i couldn't restore my system and it was fine . The drivers did my head in though, since i rely on the wireless card to access the internet. I just prefer windows, i can fix that if it goes wrong

shit seph, completely forgot about the month of bugs. i need to check slashdot more often

and matt, by low end, i mean 233mhz pc's from years back, with about 8mb graphics, a 10gb HDD and 32MB ram

and £300 may not seem like alot, but imagine if you had 300 pc's in your business. 300x300=90,000. nearly a hundred grand just for a business to run the latest OS.

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by IndieMetalhead
Best definition of Windows Ever

we need to start a linux fanclub

Linux for the win , allthough i have windows on my laptop since my windows emulator (wine) keeps lagging my games.
Quote by Tyson2011
d von is truly one of the pit.

Quote by 09phillt
Good God Man What's Wrong With You!?
Quote by The_G_String
-1 macs are gay.

I lol'd.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Quote by IndieMetalhead
shit seph, completely forgot about the month of bugs. i need to check slashdot more often

and matt, by low end, i mean 233mhz pc's from years back, with about 8mb graphics, a 10gb HDD and 32MB ram

Ah, of course . Ill be honest with you, they really don't make them like them systems anymore. The less there is in it, the less can go wrong .

Your right, there should still be basic systems like that available. However, for anything other than personal use, it may be difficult to keep using such a system due to the fact that big businesses keep demanding faster and better software and hardware. A company with 300 PCs isnt going to sit still, it sounds like a fairly large and growing comany (besides, theyd get discount for bulk :P) In many ways there isn't really much choice but to keep pushing. that said, im not impressed with microsofts decision to start using .docx formats in the new word 2007.

To be honest, im just thankful right now that we have sytems available for that price, at least we dont have the £1000 64bit 2GB Ram behmoths being forced on us :P

Last edited by MattIgoe0108 at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by d von
Linux for the win , allthough i have windows on my laptop since my windows emulator (wine) keeps lagging my games.

i have a partition for linux on mine. i could NEVER get wine or cedega to behave properly. i think i had guild wars working in cedega for a day.

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by LordSephiroth
another fun link:

101 uses for a dead iPhone (only 9 rly :/): http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/11/top_iphone_tips/

and the flame of the week:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/12/iphone_flame/

I particularly like:

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by LordSephiroth
if people only realized how much OS-X really sucks, they wouldn't run their trap so much. Most mac-heads don't look below the surface and see the massive amount of flaws that exist in OS-X and all of Apple's products. They are generally to ignorant to admit it, just like the company that produces the products.

like what, what are some flaws in the mac os? my personal favorite flaw is the inabillity to be immune to a vast majority virii around. and whoever thinks its clunky is friggin insane. its a thousand times more sleek and less cluttered than windows
He already posted a thousand links to the amount of bugs being released

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by captainkurt
like what, what are some flaws in the mac os? my personal favorite flaw is the inabillity to be immune to a vast majority virii around. and whoever thinks its clunky is friggin insane. its a thousand times more sleek and less cluttered than windows

Tbh, any computer is as cluttered as its user makes it.
And the reason think it's clunky is because it has a different approach that just seems like it's there to be different from microsoft, and as a result makes basic operations more complex. I can understand that if you use it for a long time it would be second nature, but there is little denying that Windows is the most user friendly OS, thats what people prefer to learn on it would seem, and outside of graphic and design work, i believe its the most widely used.

Also, look at the Links Lord Sephiroth posted about mac bugs.

I don't want to put the mac down, it's no worse than windows, but in many ways it's no better either. I just much prefer a more accessible OS

I hate my Mac. Multi-tasking is a joke, organization of files is ridiculous compared to Windows (admittedly I'm lazy when it comes to that, but Windows is a lot easier), most things don't work on it.

I want a PC again.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
ive been running x since it came out, and i have never encountered a bug that was any more than a very slight annoyance. All of them were fixed in the next free upgrade.
Quote by MattIgoe0108
Tbh, any computer is as cluttered as its user makes it.
And the reason think it's clunky is because it has a different approach that just seems like it's there to be different from microsoft, and as a result makes basic operations more complex. I can understand that if you use it for a long time it would be second nature, but there is little denying that Windows is the most user friendly OS, thats what people prefer to learn on it would seem, and outside of graphic and design work, i believe its the most widely used.

Also, look at the Links Lord Sephiroth posted about mac bugs.

I don't want to put the mac down, it's no worse than windows, but in many ways it's no better either. I just much prefer a more accessible OS

You make excellent points and ive never heard the argument put that way, but i must say, more people"prefer" to learn on windows because its more popular. I admit, i am biased towards macs, but i honestly feel a mac is a much easier and more intuitive interface.
Quote by rich_sg
I hate my Mac. Multi-tasking is a joke, organization of files is ridiculous compared to Windows (admittedly I'm lazy when it comes to that, but Windows is a lot easier), most things don't work on it.

I want a PC again.

are you telling me that lettering your drives is a better file organization method?

Doesn't mac use the / filesystem? It's so much better. / is basically C: for you windows users. But then you can mount D: , E: , F: , G: , or A: anywhere on that file system. So C: could be at /guitar/tabs/ and E: could go at /home/ and A: at /mnt/floppy. It's a much better method than how windows does it.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
haha, i just mount them as /media/hda1/2/3/4/b1/b2/b3 etc etc. but you're right, the mount point can be where your imagination takes you.

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Muphin
are you telling me that lettering your drives is a better file organization method?

Doesn't mac use the / filesystem? It's so much better. / is basically C: for you windows users. But then you can mount D: , E: , F: , G: , or A: anywhere on that file system. So C: could be at /guitar/tabs/ and E: could go at /home/ and A: at /mnt/floppy. It's a much better method than how windows does it.

I didn't mean it in that sense, I meant it in the sense of physically moving stuff around.

Actually, I'm going to stop now. If I persue this any further, I will only embarass myself. I've done feck all research into how Macs work, they claimed that it should work out of the box, so that's what I did. I've changed very little since buying the thing about a year ago. I have no interest in configuring it for optimum whatnots (lolz0r), frankly I can't be bothered. I realize that the reason I find it so frustratingly awful is probably due to my own negligence and lack of doing stuff with/to it, being a member of the group of people who just can't be bothered with very much at all.

I still want a PC though, it's what I know how to use, and would very much like to change back again.

I bid thee farewell.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by rich_sg
I didn't mean it in that sense, I meant it in the sense of physically moving stuff around.

Actually, I'm going to stop now. If I persue this any further, I will only embarass myself. I've done feck all research into how Macs work, they claimed that it should work out of the box, so that's what I did. I've changed very little since buying the thing about a year ago. I have no interest in configuring it for optimum whatnots (lolz0r), frankly I can't be bothered. I realize that the reason I find it so frustratingly awful is probably due to my own negligence and lack of doing stuff with/to it, being a member of the group of people who just can't be bothered with very much at all.

I still want a PC though, it's what I know how to use, and would very much like to change back again.

I bid thee farewell.

what kind of mac do you have?
Page 1 of 2