I currently have a Spider II 112 75 Watt amp and was concidering upgrading to a Spider III 120 Watt amp. It adds more presets and probably tweeked the tones. I use an Epiphone Les Paul Special Model II on it.

Should I upgrade the amp, get a different amp or save for a better guitar? I want the Spider III for the pod x 2 direct out for recording and the watt upgrade for playing gigs. I also have access to some better guitars from band mates.

On a side note I use Heavy Strings on my Les Paul should I concidering using medium? I play Rock/Metal most of the time.

Any comments/suggestion apreciated!
firstly, try it and see. my opinion is never going to be as useful as what you decide to go with, but i'd say if you are completely happy with the amp you have why upgrade?

secondly, there's going to be a massive flood of noobs saying "spiders sux lolPLZ!!!111"
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Sorry for posting in this thread I was using alot of explorer's and posted in wrong section
lol, i didn't notice it was in the wrong place :P it's sorta guitar related.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

If you play rock and metal you could also look into the roland cube series. i played one at the guitar shop and it was pretty cool
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Thanks to all who replied, here I expected to have to wait a few days for a responce
+1 for the roland cube suggestion, much better amp
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Quote by bambi_slaughter
spiders sux lolPLZ!!!111

Get a Vox.

my point is proven :P

it depends on what you want out of your rig.

gonig frm a spider II to a spider III is going to be main differences on pre sent, how unhappy of your tone are you? and have you tried the spider III? do you think the few extra presents are worth it? the thing is if you are plannign to upgrade to something bigger at a point in your life, then stick with teh spider II, buy a nice guitar for yourself, and then when you have the dough, get a better amp. Its totally your choice and what you plan to do with your music career.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by hardcoreatheist
yeah what everyone else said, Vox rules, Cube is cool, Line6 are ghey! lOLxzorx

technophobic?

Just don't take a Cube, IMO you can't tweak the sound as much as you can on the Spider.
I've got a Spider II 112 and a little microCube and a friende of mine has got a 60 watt Cube, it's not bad.. but the sound somehow doesn't feel 'alive' to me. I really prefer Spider over Cube.
You should try as much as possible amps out!
The only difference between the IIs and IIIs are the fargin 400 plus presets. I bought the Spider II 212, tweaked my sounds, set my presets, bought the fbv express and im all set. trsut me the extra presets are not worth the extra cash.
Try it first and see. My first serious amp was a spider III 75W so I can't really say if it's any better than all the others you could walk into a guitar store and try for yourself. But I'm quite satisfied.

The problem with the spider III is half the presets sound almost exactly the same, only slightly tweaked. I personally customize my own settings, it's easier than cycling through 400+ presets to find the perfect one.

Another plus though is if you find a preset you really hate, there is a way to set your own preset and overwrite those factory ones. There's also a factory reset feature if you mess that up.
thank you all so much for your input. I am thus far leaning towards getting a new guitar before a new amp. My price range is around $400 and I was thinking of getting an Epiphone G-400 should I reconsider? I mainly use my electric for lead and little solos on an acoustic rythm. Any suggestions?
Roland Cube 60 ftw. However, if you can find one, go for a Line 6 Flextone III. Tried one the other day and it was awesome.