Ok...I don't post here too often, in fact, almost never. But if you've got a pretty decent memory, you might recall me asking on a few occasions about affordable basses or amps. Well, I never ended up getting one, the cash I was going to use always ended up going somewhere else...but come this March(Not too soon, I know), my rent is free on a special deal and I'm finally gonna get a new bass to go with my GK Backline 110. I'm just not sure what to go with, so here's a bit of info....

I've been playing for a little over a year, although I'm not sure how long I've been serious about it...it may have been only since last May. So I'm still pretty much a beginner, however, everyone who hears me play tells me I'm doing exceptionally well compared to most they've seen...where this comes from, I'm not sure, really. But anyway, I do a lot, some would say too much, of slapping and popping with some occasional tapping, and I never use a pick.... I heard height is a factor, and I'm 5'11, but I'm not sure what that means for my playing, exactly. The basses I'm looking into are either some kind of Ibanez(Maybe one of their SR500 models, or the SR900 for it's neck-thru construction), or a Fender Standard Jazz(Non-American)...they're the ones that are closest to my price range, from what I can tell. I don't know what style of music I want to play, I like just about everything...but my favorite band thusfar has been Primus...and I'd like to get close to that type of bass sound...I just can't afford a Thompson right now. The string spacing on my Epiphone is a bit closer than most standard basses, so I'd have to get used to a change, or alter it...I am open to other basses, if you know of any, but the music store I'll likely get it from only sells Fender, Ibanez, and Yamaha brand basses.

If I get the Fender, I'm going to replace the bridge with a Hipshot bass tremolo system, and if I get an Ibanez, I'm going to replace it with a Kahler tremolo system...I read somewhere that if you get a Mexican-made Fender standard J-bass, then you should replace the bridge...and the Ibanez...well, I just want a Kahler.

Any help is greatly appreciated...I just can't get the sound I want out of my EB-0, as much as I love the thing.

Oh, also, I've been having some issues with my left hand thumb...it sort of aches a bit when I play...maybe because I'm pressing it into the back of the neck, but I don't know how to stop doing that, and is it acceptable to use your fourth finger to fret notes instead of the third finger? I find it more comfortable to play that way, rather than the standard 'finger-per-fret' method when playing lower on the neck.
WTF was that? Don't post anything if you're too much of a dumbass to read it.
I would say go for the Fender Jazz bass because i love those things. I wouldn't recommend a tremolo though, go with a Badass II or something, the tremolos send the bass out of tune really easily and i don't know how much use you would get out of it really.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Go for the Jazz. and what exactly is your pricerange?
the tremolos send the bass out of tune really easily and i don't know how much use you would get out of it really

If he plays a lot of Primus then I can definitely understand the need for a tremolo otherwise you just can't get the right sound. By the way (to threadstarter) what primus songs do you play?
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Either one should do you just fine. Of course, everyone will suggest you walk into the music store and try them out, and of course I will also suggest this. Trying out each bass will allow you to get a nice, decent feel for them and will also greatly influence your own opinion of choice. Other brands you'll probably hear is Schecter, Spector, or Warwick, though I'm not sure that the latter two make basses in your particular price range. Again, try an assortment and see what you really like.

As for replacing the bridge, that is entirely up to you. I don't have firsthand experience of the tremolo systems on basses, but I'm sure either one would be interesting.

The issue of your left thumb hurting because of pressing it into the back of the neck is a common issue for some players. Try not to play so tense. Loosening up a little in your play should help ease your thumb.

You can use any technique you want to fret notes, though anyone else will tell you that it is the incorrect technique. I suggest practicing fretting each note slowly with all your fingers, so that you can get used to fretting the notes with your third finger. Even basic hammer-ons using your second and third finger could help you to get used to using that finger.

Hope this all helps.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Oh, I can use my third finger...I started out using it and I'm used to it and all, it's mainly just when playing the lower frets(Or higher, depending on how you look at it)...it's really just when playing frets 1-3...using my third finger seems like too much of a stretch...it's possible, and I can do it easily, but it's more comfortable to play with the fourth. I've been using the finger-per-fret method up until recently, when I heard Power Mad by Primus and figured I'd try to play it...didn't use a tab, so it could be wrong. You think lowering the action on my bass might help with the thumb thing?

My price range is around 515-600...rent is 515, and it'll be free in March cause of some special lease deal they had or something, but I might have some extra cash to put into it.

The tremolos shouldn't throw it out of tune, at least not too much...Hipshot claims they don't, anyway, and Kahler is the same one Les uses on his basses...but I really do want to experiment with tremolos...it'd definately set me apart from other bassists, at least.

As for the Primus songs, I play just about everything on the Frizzle Fry album, mostly...I haven't quite figured out how to play Tommy the Cat yet, haven't found a good 4-string tab, and around the time I started trying to play it, I was starting to enjoy just playing rather than playing from tabs...I can't quite get the right sound for any of them out of my bass though, and of course none of them are perfect...I've only had my bass since around October of 2005, afterall.

Edit: I forgot to mention...I have tested the basses out, quite a bit, actually...I think I'm sort of known as the guy who plays but never buys. I'm mainly looking for things like technical issues with them...or maybe a brand I'm overlooking. The Fender Jazz was my favorite for a while, but the Ibanez played so fast with the thin neck...both got great sound, but I heard some people had trouble with the non-american J-bass, but I don't want to dismiss it just because I heard one or two things that may or may not be true.
Last edited by Arkham at Jan 16, 2007,
Out of interest have you played a warwick corvette? even the lower end ones are fairly easy to play fast and I would imagine it wouldn't be a problem putting a tremolo on one. It would be worth looking into it and perhaps checking a couple of other guitar stores in the area, but otherwise I'd have to reccomend a fender jazz because if you've only been playing for a year you won't find a massive difference in the quality of the mexican and the american.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
I haven't played a Corvette, but I do love the sound of Warwicks...if I remember right, Dirk Lance, the original bassist for Incubus, used a Warwick...and it sounded awesome. Problem is, I didn't think there was a Warwick in existence that sold for under a grand. It is sort of leaning towards the Jazz, I'll have to special order one to get the look I want, but it's all good.
I haven't played a Corvette, but I do love the sound of Warwicks...if I remember right, Dirk Lance, the original bassist for Incubus, used a Warwick...and it sounded awesome. Problem is, I didn't think there was a Warwick in existence that sold for under a grand. It is sort of leaning towards the Jazz, I'll have to special order one to get the look I want, but it's all good

Buy it used if you can find a good deal. I picked up mine (a corvette 4 Fretless w/ active config) for around $500 in perfect condition with a hardcase. The guy just never really played it so he was willing to sell cheap, damn that was a lucky deal.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Arkham
I haven't played a Corvette, but I do love the sound of Warwicks...if I remember right, Dirk Lance, the original bassist for Incubus, used a Warwick...and it sounded awesome. Problem is, I didn't think there was a Warwick in existence that sold for under a grand. It is sort of leaning towards the Jazz, I'll have to special order one to get the look I want, but it's all good.

I got a brand new 5 string Warwick corvette (the ash one) for $850. and used warwicks go for really nice prices.
Sounds good...I'll have to look around. Maybe someone'll sell one locally or something. I'm gonna go tomorrow and try both of these other basses out, this isn't a great town to buy basses in...we've got Peavey, Fender, Ibanez, and Yamaha...but really, nothing else...so I'm kinda limited unless I buy online.