Right, to improve my ear and intonation and everything I want to get a fretless for my birthday in 2 months time. I have the choice between 3 which are the Squier Jazz, Warwick Rockbass Streamer or the Vintage (as in brand name) Icon Jaco bass. I looked at the Squier and it seemed pretty tacky, especially the synthetic fretboard. Anyway if any of you guys have experience with these basses or have heard anything good or bad about them help would be appreciated. Cheers in advance.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I would go with either the Squier Jazz or the Rockbass. I personally prefer the Warwick neck but at the same time the rockbass tone and overall feel is so far from an actual Warwick that it makes me hate them. Really it's just a preferance thing. Play both of them for many hours at your guitar store and pick the on that feels right, they're both probably the best fretless basses in that pricerange. What exactly is your pricerange for this bass?
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I have around £200, maybe could go 50 extra but no further. The problem is, none of my local guitar stores stock fretless basses, i have no idea why but whenever i go in there arent any!
Quote by Bumper

I've played the Squier Jazz a few times and I have to admit, it sounds pretty good, especially for a Squier. I played it through a few different amps, GK's, Ampegs and a Behringer and it sounded great through all of them. Very smooth, great action, and the neck looked beautiful. Like glass almost. It def. didn't feel like a "budget" bass. I'm actually thinking about getting that or the 70's Vintage Squier as a backup because they sounded so good.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I have played the fretted squier vintage jazz and i was pleased with it but the ebonol fingerboard is putting me off the fretless
Quote by Bumper

If you're feeling ambitious you could buy a cheap bass and turn it into a fretless.

It's a simple task, all you'll need is a screwdrive or chisel, hammer, sand paper, wood filler/epoxy, finishing lacquer with poly and spare time.

It feels pretty good once you've finished. Just be sure to sand the neck evenly, I made the mistake of going sand-crazy and now my action will never be right again . I also sanded down the back of the neck and now it plays so much faster, no drag at all.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I have considered that but i would rather spend the extra little bit and buy a "proper" fretless
Quote by Bumper

"Proper"?

Bah, I'd rather make my own.

But that's just me. It doesn't take that much time, and it could be cheaper.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I have a habit of messing things up, plus its not my money anyway its my parents and they said £200 quid so i may as well buy best i can
Quote by Bumper

I have a vintage. not fond of the jaco esque one TBH, try looking at the V940FL.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by indie-bassist
I have considered that but i would rather spend the extra little bit and buy a "proper" fretless

I think Jaco just flipped you off from his grave.

Personally I'd go for the Squier, it'll give you something cheap to screw around with, and if you like it, you can easily upgrade the bridge, pups, or whatever you want later. The new Squiers are actually fairly decent quality for the price, or at least more than they've been for the past decade or so.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by canadianpunk071
I think Jaco just flipped you off from his grave.

Personally I'd go for the Squier, it'll give you something cheap to screw around with, and if you like it, you can easily upgrade the bridge, pups, or whatever you want later. The new Squiers are actually fairly decent quality for the price, or at least more than they've been for the past decade or so.

Have you played the Squier Fretless? To be completely honest, it's a hulking piece of crap. Ebonol is designed to LOOK like ebony. It is basically black plastic, and it sounds just like you think it plastic would sound. I was praying Squier would release a good low priced fretless bass, but they seriously screwed up on this one.

Not going to lie, it made me hate all fretless basses for the 10 minutes I played it.

While I will admit Squier does put out some of the best instruments in the price range, you have to dig for them. You have to go to the store and actually search. You have to play each one to find them.

To the threadstarter: If you can afford a Rockbass fretless, also suggest you checkout the MIM Fender fretless. MUCH better quality than the Squier.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
I have a vintage. not fond of the jaco esque one TBH, try looking at the V940FL.

Wow i had never seen that one before, and its cheaper and has active circuitry. Does it play well?
Quote by Bumper

Yeah, ive played it.
Ive also played the jaco.
Its a freaking dream.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Is the V940 better than the jaco?
Quote by Bumper

hmmm ok, did the active electronics make much of a difference?
Quote by Bumper

You could always buy a Squier, then replace the neck with a more expensive fretless neck.
That will cost quite a bit more though, plus i just found out the squier is made of agathis so not really that great
Quote by Bumper

Well you can't be that picky if you're getting a really cheap bass. And to be honest with you, defretting a fretted neck is a $15 mod and it's insanely difficult to screw up on. I'd be glad to give you simple step by step instructions if you wanted them.
I just want something to start on but something that is still a good bass, like the vintage's are made of bubinga and poplar which are slightly better quality than agathis. I have considered doing that but i just want to get one that is professionally done
Quote by Bumper

I can't find a fretless that's really cheap and good at the same time. So you just might be out of luck.
the vintage is supposedly bubinga. but at that price, its questionable

Quote by metaldud536

does it feel good?
Quote by Bumper

yep. its suprisingly light!

Quote by metaldud536

And does the neck play well?
Quote by Bumper

Indie-Bassist, have you thought about second hand? For that price you could probably find a fretless Jazz. In fact, looking on ebay right now i can see t h i s

I want one myself.. and i will definitely go with the Jazz after hearing Elemenohpee's critique...
Second hand completely slipped my mind, i never even thought about it. I will have a look around second hand then too because the mexican jazz was what i really wanted but decided i needed to go for a compromise. Cheers
Quote by Bumper

Otherwise, just save the money your parents give you and save up for another few months to go for the Jazz. Dont compromise man!
Cheers, i suppose so, it's just im really GASing for a fretless atm! Im getting really impatient lol but yeah i think i will just save up some more for the jazz, plus i can get it in the colour i want
Quote by Bumper

Washburn Taurus 14 (T14)

Got it for christmas and I love it.

Only cost about 160 bucks brand new.