I thought this would be a good thread to discuss different Distributions of linux, and preach the wonders of linux to the world [aka Linux noobs, more or less]. I felt this could be entirely seperate from the ONLY Computer Thread, so don't give me shit about that, please. I noticed that whenever anyone had a PC problem, they would get at least on response along the lines of: Get Linux. As usless response that is to the PC user, I agree 100%.

Get Linux.

EDIT: I use Ubuntu on a shitty IBM laptop, w/ 233 MHz P3, 4GB HD, 128 Mb Ram. Pretty cool.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
Ubuntu

Linux is brilliant. which display manager do you prefer, KDE or Gnome? i have a kubuntu live CD to try KDE and its nice, but i'm too used to gnome now.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
i burned a Kubuntu live cd, and checked it out, but didnt really see any differnece with the KDE interface.

=/

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
i used linux for the first time ever in uni the other day, seemed a bit unneccasarily complicated for me :S
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by pancakes
i burned a Kubuntu live cd, and checked it out, but didnt really see any differnece with the KDE interface.

=/

its more like windows. konqueror is nice, though.

oh, and i missed the image of Tux you posted

irongoat, try doing things in command lines. its really, really complicated at times. i got so used to Gediting my xorg that when it failed (i ****ed up ) i forgot how to fix it in the command line. thankfully i just got Envy (script for Nvidia drivers) and fixed it taht way, thus losing my work on attempting dual monitor

Quote by metaldud536

I have never used Linux, but have heard so many people sing it's praises, that I am interested. Since you started this thread, hows about a little bit of an overview for us n00b's.
Unless you're on a secure network, running a server, a distributed application or anything else which causes poor little Windows to crash, using Linux is a hassle, really. Yeah, once you've spent about 1 million years searching for drivers and applications which are Linux compatible, and you've got it up and running, it's great, but.... bash scripting... ugh.. I. Hate. It. How anyone can enjoy scripting in Unix/Linux is beyond me.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
its a cult lol. i've used it in some computer engineering classes....installing it and double boot situations......its nice, but im not that huge a fan of it.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
In a nutshell, linux is basically a kernel, a backbone of an operating system, that's under the GNU Liscence. This means that anyone that wants to can edit, add to, and distribute it to the world, completely free of charge. Its based on UNIX wchich is not only secure, but very solid as well.

On another note, has anyone ever heard of Auditor? Its a linux distribution soely based on Wireless Cracking. I wanted to run it on my iBook, but couldn't find a PPC version. Nevertheless, looks pretty cool.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
Quote by Mad Marius
Unless you're on a secure network, running a server, a distributed application or anything else which causes poor little Windows to crash, using Linux is a hassle, really. Yeah, once you've spent about 1 million years searching for drivers and applications which are Linux compatible, and you've got it up and running, it's great, but.... bash scripting... ugh.. I. Hate. It. How anyone can enjoy scripting in Unix/Linux is beyond me.

the only thing linux has a problem with now is wireless drivers. everything else is pretty much accounted for, and with debian can be found in synaptic, or a quick google search. its no harder with windows.

but yea, scripting is a bitch.

Quote by metaldud536

Get gentoo linux from gentoo.org

It's definitely the fastest and most customizable linux distro. It's basically Linux From Scratch but with awesome package management. Simply type emerge <programname> and it will download, compile, and install that package on your system

I've been using gentoo for about 3 years now and never looked back to windows.

Good job on the linux thread
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^kinda like apt-get?

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by IndieMetalhead
^kinda like apt-get?

Yeah, it uses a tool called wget, which simply downloads the package, then it's compiled with special options specific to your computer and processor, and then installed. Very convenient.

And to all you linux naysayers you obviously haven't ever used it. There are drivers for every piece of hardware I have ever wanted to use. The only thing I can recall it doesn't support is MOTU audio hardware because the company won't release any information about their hardware, or make a linux driver for us.

The reason linux will always be better than mac and windows is because the code that makes linux can be edited by anyone. So if a programmer sees some code that isn't doing anything, or could cause a bug, he can change it and then submit the changes to the project. With windows, only the idiot microsoft developers can change code, so theres tons of reduntant, useless code throughout windows, same for mac, but they do a better job.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^

Quote by metaldud536

Couldn't agree with you more, Muphin.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables