I know this ain't the right forum, but at the moment I'm not in the mood for all the crap the guitarists would be telling me.

Right, so I am in (so we are told) a very good band. We are 16/17 and lazy, but have had some good gigs, and could get some more if motivated. But recently my guitarist/singer has been beeing an UTTER **** about the "rights" to songs he has and that "when we make an album" he wants his name on everything. He has a disgustingly large ego when it comes to music, but otherwise is a pretty cool guy (and a very good guitarist).

Today he basically quit the band because "he does not get all the credit" for songs that he only wrote the guitar parts for. Apparently, neither our drummer or me can get any credit even though he did not write our parts. But even after so much compromising and talking to him about what is really going on, he still won't let the band be equal. Our other guitarist isn't too bothered as he is very lazy, but me and the drummer are rightly pissed off.

As he writes the majority of the guitar stuff, I am loathe to let him go, but he is being and utter wanker. What the **** should I do about this?
He only has the rights to whatever parts he wrote. Refer him to a law book, if he's one of those literate guitarists.

Explain this to him, and if he's still being an idiot, tell him to sod off. Chances are he'll come around eventually anyway.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quit and form a new band with your drummer, and this time get a guitarist who respects all the instruments and isn't a complete fag.
Well... royality rights is always a very tricky issue, and it's good that you discuss stuff like this before you start any serious musical venture. They're have been numerous cases where bands have fallen out over money.

I myself have always clarified the financial situation with any bands I've been in.

If the guitarist wants a band where he wants all the songwriting credits, then that's his choice. If you still wish to remain in "his" band, then you may want to talk with him about any songs which any of your feel you've contrubuted significant creative input into it, and then talk percentages. It's a very complex way of working it.

But this is all assuming you guys make it huge. Most money bands make (unless you become VERY sucessful) is NOT via CD sales. Most signed bands/acts make their cash via merchandise, gigs and other ventures. Stuff like this should all be distrubute equally, unless you've agreed otherwise.

There was a British band called The Smiths. The songwriters were the singer and guitarist. They took most of the money from songwriting credits, but then tried to take most of the performance money on the basis the other memebers of the band wer emore like session musicians. They lost!

The band I'm in belongs to a songwriter. I don't care I wouldn't get any songwriting credits or royalities. I know he's very good, and the band is building up a sizeable following. Strangers keep coming to our gigs, so I know he's worth sticking with. I get paid equal share of gig money. So I'm happy.

So in summary, if you truly care about songwriting credits, it might be best to go out and look for another band. If not and this guitarist is truly talented, smile and have fun.
Quote by shut_up_you_***

There was a British band called The Smiths.

Ah The Smiths!

With every project I've been in I've made sure that it's clear from the start how things are going to work financially, be it CD sales, performance profits, royalties, the lot.

Generally every project I've played in, any royalty money is equally split, however many ways, regardless of who writes what; but we always seem to have a rule that the songs go with the writer, so, for instance if I left I would take my songs with me, and then the same applies to everyone else in the group (obviously)...

As said before, I would confront your guitarist with some kind of musical law book that deals with royalties and their distribution, and make him see sense.

Good luck!
I would ask him what he really wants. decide if this is something you can do or not. if you can't, drop him.
Chances are he didn't/won't right the next *insert famous song by band you really like*, so sack the sack.
haha
forget that!
tke your credit for what YOU do!

If he is bothering the rest of your band, drop him and find someone who you could get along better with.

just my thoughts.
You shouldn't be in a band with egomaniac band mates, what you are all creating is a song, you all put your parts in. A band is a partnership. Honestly I can't understand why someone would be in a band with anyone they have anything bad to say about.
My band mates are my brothers, and I love them like brothers. First and foremost you need honesty and trust, Secondly, why would you put up with an ego like that, your band should not be a pissing contest. Stop being lazy if you want to make music a career, it is not easy, and you cant just coast through. Music is a formula, including all of these things. The formula works or it doesn't, and if you know it doesn't change whats not working. why waste your time?

There is a wonderful book out there called "making music your business" written by a lawyer. Get it, Read it, Discontinue Ignorance.

~Roger
www.myspace.com/boisebass <- slap demo
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG
Mesa Titan V12, Ampeg 8x10E, Korg DTR2000, Sennheiser freePORT Wireless.

BASSES
'74 RickenMonster, Fernandes Retrospect Deluxe, ABG.
You have rights to whatever you agree to have rights to.

Technically you have rights to all your bass parts and drummer to drums and etc. etc. etc., but basically if it gets put on an album it all boils down to what you want to be the writer's credit.

For example, Jane's Addiction.
Perry Farrell, when negotiating the money for the band, said half of the money goes to writing lyrics and half to musicians.
Perry then said he got all the lyrical credit (because even if the ideas for songs for his, he wrote all the lyrics), and was still 1/4th of the band musically because he provided vocals.

This left Perry with 62.5% of the money, and every other band member with 12.5%. This has happened with basically every other band he has been in.

However, Red Hot Chili Peppers.
They have almost always credited the songs they write as a full band. On the occasional album they'll label the lineup and specifically who wrote it, but they labeled it as a full band so that the revolving door of musicians couldn't protest that they had the rights to this song or that song even though they did make 1/4th of it. The song was a RHCP song, and if you're not in RHCP its not you're song.

However then there are times where nothing extreme likes this happens. 4 band members everyone gets 1/4th even if they didn't write songs. Someone quits, you can play it cause its your song but we're gonna play it cuase our song.

Basically, its a case by case thing; but atleast from what I have seen, most of it depends on what you publish as your writing credits.

So if you want, you can just say "we all write every song" and if he disagrees, then say "but why? I wrote all my bass parts. they're no less valuable than your guitar parts" and if he says "yes they are" thats when you either stab him or quit the band.

If its just that he writes the guitar parts and the other guitarist doesn't, say the other guitarist doesn't get the credit and the guitarist gets 2x the credit for writing both guitar parts.
Its still an "Our" song thing even if he does twice as much as the rest. Its not a sole eprson thing unless you make it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I cant say it better than Roger just did, so i wont. Listen to the above advice.

My band have an agreement that no matter what money we make, we split equally. I've written guitar parts, my singer has written a bass part, my drummer has written lyris. Together we create a song, it shouldnt matter who wrote what and who gets credit for what. He sounds like a complete cnut and you should not be in a band with a person like that. So what if he is good - no matter how good you are, there is always someone better (the exception being michael johnson the 400m runner)

Good luck.