Page 1 of 2
Really break it down. When you think of genres with talented musicians, Grunge typically isn't the first to come to mind.........or is it?

In the late 80's to early 90's, people were yearning for something different. Metal was seen at that time as masculine and very tough....not a good fit for kids in flannel cutting their wrists. So out shot grunge, a more depressed, almost punk-ish version of metal. Bands like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and the Stone Temple Pilots dominated record sales. Okay, history lesson is over, lets get to the point. My question for you is: Was their any talent in Grunge Music?
"Run for the hills, the south's gonna take you"

Quote by Jersey_Zombie
This sounds like one of those myspace bullitens that say
"IF YOU DONT REPOST THIS IN 2 SECONDS A HANDCAPPED ZOMBIE IS GOING TO STAB YOU WITH A ZUCCHINI"
Yes. There was MORE talent in grunge music than hair metal. Jerry Cantrell (of Alice In Chains) was and is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) is, in my opinion, the greatest singer in the history of rock music, and is also a highly respected songwriter. Andrew Wood (R.I.P.) of Malfunkshun/Mother Love Bone was another very talented composer.

The Stone Temple Pilots were not a grunge band because they weren't from Seattle, but they were pretty good. However, Robert (or Dean? Which brother played guitar?) DeLeo ain't NEVER soloed like Jerry Cantrell - not in a million years.

Not to mention Pearl Jam had one of the best guitar duos in history.

There's absolutely no question here. The answer is yes. /discussion.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
PEARL JAM ARE NOT F***ING GRUNGE, They Were Just Around At the Same Time.

for petes sake.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Yeah, I think grunge definitly had good songwriters. The songs were good but they were simple and creative.

In the late 80s i think people were getting tired of this and really wanted to see something more edgy with better musicianship.

I totally think there is talent in those big Grunge bands you mentioned (add pearl jam )
There was just more of a focus on lyrics and song writing, and making something simple and creative good. In metal there is more of a focus on guitar work..

I don't know, this is just my opinion..
I think there was talent.. there had to be something.
The music is still listened to all over today, there had to be something good there..

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Quote by ArcherTheVMan

for petes sake.

Yes they were. Shut up.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Of course!! and Grunge kids didn't cut their wrists, I'm sick of people saying that.

Just look at Dave Grohl - great drummer, guitar player, and vocalist
And I don't care what people say, Kurt Cobain may not have had technical talent but he was a brilliant writer and vocalist. And I might as well add that Krist Novoselic played a mean bass too, he still does.
Pearl Jam, absolutely.

Personally, i think guys like Jerry Cantrell and Kim Thayll were great for the genre. And just look at Jerry now!

Also, Kurt Cobain and Scott Weiland were lyrical geniuses, hands down.

Quote by Jersey_Zombie
"IF YOU DONT REPOST THIS IN 2 SECONDS A HANDCAPPED ZOMBIE IS GOING TO STAB YOU WITH A ZUCCHINI"
wow. i would expect somebody who knows a little history on grunge to know how talented the musicians were.
When I hit 'em from the back, I got them mami's saying dammit man.

When I put it in their mouth, I got them mami's saying duh-huh-huh-muhh.
And Scott Weiland had a great voice. He doesn't compare to Cornell or Staley though.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by Siftings
Of course!! and Grunge kids didn't cut their wrists, I'm sick of people saying that.

whatever dude. point is, they were depressed and most of them were druggies.

But yeah, i like Dave Grohl NOW rather than THEN

and Novoselic wasnt that great, sorry.

Quote by Jersey_Zombie
Quote by ArcherTheVMan

for petes sake.

You fail. Yes they are grunge. Really grunge now that you mention it.
LOL
Quote by JustOneJacob

But yeah, i like Dave Grohl NOW rather than THEN

and Novoselic wasnt that great, sorry.
You're a tool.
This thread fails. Next?

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by sadistic_monkey
You're a tool.

no offense, but just how am i a tool?

Quote by Jersey_Zombie

Because that is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Edit:
not a good fit for kids in flannel cutting their wrists.
That too.

Pearl Jam, absolutely.

Personally, i think guys like Jerry Cantrell and Kim Thayll were great for the genre. And just look at Jerry now!

Also, Kurt Cobain and Scott Weiland were lyrical geniuses, hands down.
And here's you, completely contradicting yourself.
this thread is getting too personal

game over.

Quote by Jersey_Zombie
Quote by JustOneJacob
this thread is getting too personal

game over.

This thread was retarded to begin with.

What's with all the threads about grunge lately? There's still a "ONLY Grunge Thread," it's been here forever.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA

Quote by Jersey_Zombie
Yes. There was MORE talent in grunge music than hair metal.

QUOTE]

I would have to say you are completely without a doubt wrong on both of these statements. No one in the grunge era, except MAYBE Jerry Cantrell could rip a solo like some of the hair metal guitarists used to put out regularly. Grunge would have a couple solos an album, and most of them would just be the guitar player playing the lyrical part of the verse on his guitar. In the 80's almost every frickin song had a solo, and even shitty bands like Poison had solos that killed. As for PJ havin one of the best guitar duos of all time...you gotta be kiddin me. Judas Priest, Maiden, Metallica, A7X, LOG, and almost any other metal/metalcore band have better guitar duos. So just drop that.

Now to the original question.

ALthough I just dissed Grunge, there definitely were some high points. Alice in Chains definitely had some talent lyrically and with their guitar parts. Then, even though I just ripped PJ, their instrumental section at the end of Alive is one of my favorites, I dunno what it is about it but it totally kills and although I never saw them live I have seen them perform that song on Tv and it was bad ass. But overall, Grunge was more about lyrics and dynamic changes rather than technicality and complexity of songs.
Hair metal solos sounded like shit. It was boring, over-produced, bloated music. Just because a guitarist can shred doesn't mean he or she is GOOD.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Pearl Jam, AiC, and Soundgarden had plenty of solos. And besides... a song doesn't need a solo to be a good song. Why do people always think that? Grunge also had Dave Grohl who was/ still is an amazing drummer.

I agree Pearl Jam had one of the best guitar duos in history... listen to some more Pearl Jam if you don't believe.
Just because they were grunge didn't mean they had to have tons and tons of distortion... There was bands like Pearl Jam, and some others that were great. Then again, I sorta blur the lines between post-grunge and grunge myself, but it was in my opinion more of a statement, or realness. It's pointless to compare deathmetal or other types of metal from the time with it. Theya re different genres with different focuses. I once made fun of a rap once and a friend made a good point. That's whats IMPORTANT TO THEM. Whether shredding, melody, or lyrics is important to you, then so be it.
Logos and websites for low prices - pm me

Quote by SideshowRaven24
wow dude way to think innovative. nice plan.
Quote by icon_player_5
that would be awesome if you saw it all the way through, good imagination

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
Why does have to be like this?
I love grunge, and everytime I see a thread with a question I can respond to, It always gets filled with ignorant comments by people who take too serious Grunge as a genre.
I feel ashamed, dissapointed.
...And The Nominees Are
^ I believe you're write as to people commenting entirely about the lyrical sense of some of the music.
Logos and websites for low prices - pm me

Quote by SideshowRaven24
wow dude way to think innovative. nice plan.
Quote by icon_player_5
that would be awesome if you saw it all the way through, good imagination

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Because that is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Edit:
That too.

And here's you, completely contradicting yourself.

Pwnt.
LOL
Quote by al silver
^ I believe you're write as to people commenting entirely about the lyrical sense of some of the music.

Not really, they make a little bit of sense that is a partial of the real point.
...And The Nominees Are
Quote by f***music

I would have to say you are completely without a doubt wrong on both of these statements. No one in the grunge era, except MAYBE Jerry Cantrell could rip a solo like some of the hair metal guitarists used to put out regularly. Grunge would have a couple solos an album, and most of them would just be the guitar player playing the lyrical part of the verse on his guitar. In the 80's almost every frickin song had a solo, and even shitty bands like Poison had solos that killed. As for PJ havin one of the best guitar duos of all time...you gotta be kiddin me. Judas Priest, Maiden, Metallica, A7X, LOG, and almost any other metal/metalcore band have better guitar duos. So just drop that.

First of all, the fact you think CC Deville is a good guitarist makes your opinion automatically void. Also, having a few solos an album adds more variety to the album instead of having the same song structure over and over. Finally, the fact that you like A7X automaticaly makes you an idiot. You can't say that those bands have "better" guitarists, because it's only your opinion. And at the risk of contradicting myself, Alive by Pearl Jam kicks the living shit out of any metalcore solo, and most metal ones too.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

sadistic_monkey learn how to use the word tool in proper context

JustOneJacob isn't tool he's just really uninformed (stupid)

Krist Noveselic rocked out with his sock out and happen to be one hell of bassist and Grohls
a total sellout now but i respect that he knows how to play so many instruments.
well at least more a sell out than Nirvana!

lol
*haven't read the rest of the thread, but*

I'm not an avid grunge listener, but I do know that Soundgarden and Pearl Jam have a fuckload of talent. Listen to Soundgarden's Jesus Christ Pose or Pearl Jam's Alive and tell me they don't have talent.
Quote by grey_goose
sadistic_monkey learn how to use the word tool in proper context

JustOneJacob isn't tool he's just really uninformed (stupid)

Krist Noveselic rocked out with his sock out and happen to be one hell of bassist and Grohls
a total sellout now but i respect that he knows how to play so many instruments.
well at least more a sell out than Nirvana!

lol

How in the hell is Grohl a sell-out? He happens to be one of the most talented an respected musicians today (in all aspects). So what if he plays with 5 or more bands and hits platinum status everytime he records something. Some people are just that damn good.
LOL
are you kidding me
david grohl beast on the drums
Layne Staley one of the freakiest but most beautiful voices ever
Chris Cornell maybe one of the best singers of all time *same with layne*
Eddie Vedder one of the best baratones
Mike Mccreedy amazing guitarist with a mind of his own
Kim thayil great soloer who has this edgy feel to him
Mark Lanegan probably the most underrated singer in the grunge era
all amazing talent
you are a moron to even ask this question...
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by Lukeisonfire
Mark Lanegan probably the most underrated singer in the grunge era

One of the most underrated singers of all time more like - I've got tons of Lanegan and it's all amazing stuff. His newest record with Isobel Cambell is great too. I'd love to have his voice.
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
Yes. There was MORE talent in grunge music than hair metal. Jerry Cantrell (of Alice In Chains) was and is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) is, in my opinion, the greatest singer in the history of rock music, and is also a highly respected songwriter. Andrew Wood (R.I.P.) of Malfunkshun/Mother Love Bone was another very talented composer.

The Stone Temple Pilots were not a grunge band because they weren't from Seattle, but they were pretty good. However, Robert (or Dean? Which brother played guitar?) DeLeo ain't NEVER soloed like Jerry Cantrell - not in a million years.

There's absolutely no question here. The answer is yes. /discussion.
Nice work. Summed up the answer to this thread by the fourth post
who ever sed grunge kids were depressed? go get bent. some of them might have been angst filled, but grunge was not a scene of depression.

and whats with ppl comparing it with hair metal or any other form or rock? its a different genre dont expect them to match up, otherwise music would all be too linear and boring.
Quote by JustOneJacob
Really break it down. When you think of genres with talented musicians, Grunge typically isn't the first to come to mind.........or is it?

In the late 80's to early 90's, people were yearning for something different. Metal was seen at that time as masculine and very tough....not a good fit for kids in flannel cutting their wrists. So out shot grunge, a more depressed, almost punk-ish version of metal. Bands like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and the Stone Temple Pilots dominated record sales. Okay, history lesson is over, lets get to the point. My question for you is: Was their any talent in Grunge Music?

was there any intelligence involved in the threadstarter's conception? I think not.

What an idiotic thread.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Page 1 of 2