This is probably an incredibly tedious question for people of your calibur, but I'm here anyway because I don't know the answer

What do I need to change the position of my strap lock on my Explorer from the standerd position to the back of the neck (like most SGs)? Is it really as simple as screwing in a new strap lock? My other question is just concerning the empty hole that I'd have left from the old strap button, what would I use to fill that in?

Thanks for any help
Originally posted by jimmeh
I'm gonna try and teach my gf bass. I've only tried once, and we were both naked and still in bed, so it didn't work so well.
most explorers actually have the button on the back already. well for a start youll need a drill.

the only thing you could do with the hole at the end would be cover it up, it'll always be noticeable.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
I know i'd need a drill, but would literally all I do just drill the correct size hole and then screw in the new lock? No adjusments or anything?
I'm gonna try and teach my gf bass. I've only tried once, and we were both naked and still in bed, so it didn't work so well.
True. Just get a drill bit that you can conmortably shove into the existing screw hole with a smidgeon of room to spare so it can still wiggle around in there a little. This should make for a tight fit... A little tip: BEFORE drilling, stick a tiny bit of (masking) tape onto the body where you want to drill. This will make sure that the drill bit doesn't skip across the finish and make a bunch of nasty gouges.

Now get to it! And good luck.
I would put the new strap button/lock where you want it and leave a standard strap button in the old whole. that would probably look the most slick. just my humble opinion,though
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Alright, thanks very much for all the help
Make sure you don't drill in too far. Use a peice of masking tape to mark the depth you want on the bit
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club