I was wondering if anyone has ever played a 6 string fretless guitar and how they sound ..... ive never seen one but thought it would be badass to build one and use it as a rhythym guitar. I was gonna use a left handed strat neck, pull the metal frets off, slice the curves on the headstock with a jigsaw to give it more of an aggressive look, then build a body to look like a 'strat - v' ( a design i came up with that has the two points up near the neck, and the body bends out like a traditional strat only the bottom archs inward and the body is string - thru. i want to build this, but thought id get some input before i fork out the cash for materials and build a guitar thats not functional ahahah ..... that would suck

- John
Fucking Metal all the time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music page
Look up Bumblefoot and Vigier guitars (sp?) He's already done it. Not sure on the sound. You could buy all the supplies needed although i don't know where you can get a fretless neck for building. Try warmoth.com.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Oh My Sweet Jesus. someone has heard of Bumblefoot. i just hope not through Guns and Roses, GnR suck compared to his solo work.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
check out ned evett

first... you'll need flatwound strings, and some more mods to your fretboard

playing wise, you'll need to be extremly accuracte
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by tubab0y
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j2JxoSqs6LA

vai uses one a little, too. and you'll either need flatwound strings or a new fretboard once a month.

Or you buy a Vigier and use flatwounds and you'll never have to change it. In the 27 years Vigier has been making fretless guitars they have never had to replace a single fretboard.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Or you buy a Vigier and use flatwounds and you'll never have to change it. In the 27 years Vigier has been making fretless guitars they have never had to replace a single fretboard.

Your info may have been more useful if this had been posted 8 months ago.
Or u could nitro the fretboard so that the strings dont mess it up. I think thats what Jaco P. did, idk, so check it. I would use flatwounds anyway. And i wouldnt use it as a rhythm instrument, id do what Vai does on a certain live clip. He tunes it to an open E, and uses it to sound like a siren. its awesome.
Flatwounds take away from your tone. They sound a lot flatter and fatter than normal string. they have no high end zing and feel a bit weird the first time you play them.
First of all, a fretless would suck as a rhythm guitar, your chords would never be in tune.

Second, vigiers have metal fretboards. Bumblefoot uses roundwound strings.

Third, don't bump old threads.

*reported*
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!