I have a question about resale value. A friend of mine told me that American Strats were the way to go because within ten years they will have regained their original value if not more. So my question is, how well will a mexican strat hold its value? Because I'm seriously considering the Jimmie Vaughan Tex mex strat as my next guitar. I love that guitar but hes trying to convince me to buy a Highway One because they're american made and not too much more $. All advice appreciated.
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
It'll only go up in value if people want that specific version. I mean look at the Les Paul, the '57 is a holy grail of guitars to some, while the '70s versions are called shit.
American strats are better made. Some people prefer Mexican Strats. They seem less refined. What matters is what feels, and sounds, better to you. If it really matters how much you can resell your instrument in 10 years, then the American Strat is probably a better bet, unless they discontinue the Jimmie Vaughan strat sometime soon, which I wouldn't expect to happen.
well whats a good mexican strat that someone might want in the future? Maybe somthing that is going out of stock soon or was sold in limited amounts?
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
ya probly that. but also, anything that is like a one of a kind thing.

or, there are some that have the smoothest maple necks that are just like butter to play. things like that, even the neck itself, are worth some $$ later

for example, alot of old strat necks. like from the late 50s and 60s, especially the ones that get like laqcuer on the neck and fretboard go for like $10k + for really nice mint ones or even vintage(used) ones.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Go with the american ones. Even if the mexican were to appreciate in value, the american ones aren't shipped from flippin' Mexico. It's always good to get a guitar made as close to you as possible. Certain guitars don't take well to traveling.
^ um... dependant on where he lives, the mexican strat could be manufactured closer to him than the american one. Get whatever the hell YOU want and tell your friend he's a moron for taking resale value into consideration. I plan to KEEP every guitar I buy for as long as possible!! Don't give a shit about it's resale value when buying a guitar, just get what you feel is right.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by Ishiga
Go with the american ones. Even if the mexican were to appreciate in value, the american ones aren't shipped from flippin' Mexico. It's always good to get a guitar made as close to you as possible. Certain guitars don't take well to traveling.

American Fenders are made in Corona, California near Anaheim and the Mexican Fenders are made in Ensenada in Mexico. The two factories are less than 150 miles apart and I don't think that the two hours separating them is a big deal.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
What you should be asking is: What instrument can I buy that I won't want to sell even after ten years?