Alright so im looking at the tab for I could have lied by the red hot chili peppers. Now John plays the chords B D A9 G7 for a certain part then later on plays the chords Em G D C. Is there any correlation here? Like relative keys or something?

Thanks.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
My guess is that the song is in C Major,,,,being that that second progression ends on a strong 5-2-1 cadence,,,and also that the first progression ends on a V7 chord,,,,which is a half cadence if I remember correctly,,,,,I've never heard the song,,,,,but that is most likely what's going on.
Quote by rokket2005
My guess is that the song is in C Major,,,,being that that second progression ends on a strong 5-2-1 cadence,,,and also that the first progression ends on a V7 chord,,,,which is a half cadence if I remember correctly,,,,,I've never heard the song,,,,,but that is most likely what's going on.

it can't be C major cause theres an A major and a B major, which are not in the key of C.
im not really sure but i think its in G.
Quote by cubs
it can't be C major cause theres an A major and a B major, which are not in the key of C.
im not really sure but i think its in G.

If its G then its a relative minor. But why do you think its in G?
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
doesnt he just use B powerchords?

if so thats your problem.

cause its definately just a descending bassline in C major. Im pretty sure any full chords he plays correspond with that. I believe the tab you're looking at is wrong.
-my opinion.
please note the chorus is different and in D. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
doesnt he just use B powerchords?

if so thats your problem.

cause its definately just a descending bassline in C major. Im pretty sure any full chords he plays correspond with that. I believe the tab you're looking at is wrong.
-my opinion.
please note the chorus is different and in D. lol
What would be a good tab on this site (link!)?
Quote by The Iron Man
If its G then its a relative minor. But why do you think its in G?

wait nevermind, i just realized G major has A minor, sorry im not really sure about it now. Keep in mind that it could also be a non diatonic progression, which means that not all chords diatonicly fit in the same key.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
What would be a good tab on this site (link!)?

it seems every tab suggest full on B major chords. Perhaps I'm wrong.

But I swear to god its just powerchords. but even if i'm wrong, its clearly modulating cause it clearly starts out on a Bm chord.

the Em G D C part is clearly G, its the 4 most used chords in G.
the G7 A9 you're not going to find in a key. A 7 chord is always the V chord when sticking to key signatures, and thus it would have to be D major or B minor - both requiring a B minor chord (duh).
Which is why I really think he just uses a B powerchord, that and I dont hear the major third there but maybe I'm wrong and maybe all the tabs are right.

Then again maybe the tabs aren't right and my ears are. Up for grabs, it is.

But you're not going to find a key other than Bm for the first part (with a B major chord replacing Bm - it does happen, but I swear its just a powerchord damn it lol) and G for the second part.

The intro part is Bm.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
With some songs especially in rock it sometimes seems more useful to think in terms of different tonal centers rather then trying to force the whole song into a one-size-fits-all key signature and this song is a good example of that. An important reason (for some people, the only reason) for figuring out what key you're in is so you know what scales to use if you're going to play a solo or add some fills. To my ear the two main tonal centers of the song are Bm and Em. You have the main section which is in Bm. (I know, he throws a B major chord in there a few times, but its rock, rules were made to be broken Then you have the other section which is Em. Listen to his solo and fills. To my ear it sounds like he's using B minor and minor pentatonic scales for the section in Bm, and E minor scales (again, both pentatonic and nautral minor) over the section in Em.

Whereas if you try and force-fit it into a one-size-fits-all key, you often wind up with chords that don't fit. Especially in rock, where having an odd chord or two that doesn't fit into the theoretical chords that "should be there" sometimes seems more like the norm. As others have noted ^ this song has that issue.

p.s. a few of those chord names mentioned above are wrong:

it's not A9, it's A add9:

-0-
-0-
-2-
-2-
-0-
-x-

and its not G7, its G6:

-0-
-0-
-0-
-0-
-2-
-3-

also I don't hear any B power chords, the arpeggiated riff is definitely B minor , and then when the other guitar(?) comes in it is a B major chord, you can hear the third in there (altho that guitar does have an interesting tone, kind of eq'd, thin, mandolin-sounding, almost reminds me a little of nashville tuning) anyway that may make it a bit harder to hear that major third lurking in there.
oops, you are right, that is indeed an Asus2. Thanks for pointing that out.