My friend is making a 5 string bass. Due to hard work, hes making it fretless. I always thaught fretless were mostly for jazz. We (im his drummer and guitarist) play metal. Is he wasting his time making this guitar because i dont think its gunna sound great for metal. Its not that im really worried about him wasting his time and money, i just wanna laugh in his face when(if) it sounds like shit. lol
How do frets have anything to do with tone?

Are you joking? Or are you just stupid?
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Brainwash
How do frets have anything to do with tone?

fretless basses sound way different then fretted ones, not to mention slides and vibrato r much different as well. do u think some people play a fretless just cuz its more dificult? does that make any sense to u?
Playing metal? You're all making terrible, terrible mistakes. *shakes head*

But seriously, I would hope he's building the bass for the sake of building it. Let him build whatever the hell he wants.

And fretless basses can and are used in metal, they have a distinct, blossoming sound that can actually compliment retardedly distorted guitars. And if it doesn't end up sounding great for metal, he still has a bass he built himself, and you have jack shit. Bet he'll laugh.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by canadianpunk071

got that right
Oh i dont have jack shit, ive already built a guitar, not a bass but then again im not a bassist. And our guitars arent retardedly distorted, i shouldnt have said metal, he plays metal but out band plays more heavy rock like disturbed, and we also lean toward B4MV (laugh it up i dont give a **** if there emo) a lot.
Oh stereotypes, stereotypes, think outside the box! How cool would a five-string fretless bass sound if played well? Who cares what most ppl use for metal, you use that, it's your charm and you gimick, it'll work! Have faith in your friend.
Quote by MiG_853
Oh stereotypes, stereotypes, think outside the box! How cool would a five-string fretless bass sound if played well? Who cares what most ppl use for metal, you use that, it's your charm and you gimick, it'll work! Have faith in your friend.

Yeah seriously, do you want to be just like any other hard rock band out there? Or do you want to have a different sound? Having a fretless bass will give you more of a different sound for bass leads, fills, whatever else you put in a song.
The Damned Blue Collar Tweeker of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Flickr

Quote by Tad Walters
11th chords are for fags.
Robert Trujillo uses a fretless a bit in Suicidal Tendencies. If you haven an open definition of metal, it can work. It just depends on your outlook.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by bobthesgman
tell him hes a dumba55 lol

How exactly does one pronounce "dumba55"?

I'd venture a guess it sounds a lot like bobthesgman
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Don't be hatin on that homie, dawg. But seriously, fretless sounds frikin cool in metal, it's not necessarily the bright thrashy kind of bass you would normally want for metal, but look at Pantera, Rex played a fretless in a couple of there songs and it was bad
I think he should experiment with it. that way he doesn't become a stereotype. besides like they say, he could have another bass in case he decides to drop you guys. for a jazz/fusion band........ ya never know.
Quote by watchingmefall
Somebody needs to listen to Quo Vadis, the song "Silence calls the storm" specially.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
Listen to anything Steve DiGiorgio, Dominic "Forest" LaPointe, or Sean Malone have played on. They all play fretless basses, in metal. The tone cuts through quite well.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Quote by canadianpunk071

But seriously, I would hope he's building the bass for the sake of building it. Let him build whatever the hell he wants.

And fretless basses can and are used in metal, they have a distinct, blossoming sound that can actually compliment retardedly distorted guitars. And if it doesn't end up sounding great for metal, he still has a bass he built himself, and you have jack shit. Bet he'll laugh.

i must say i was thinking what is in bold and i lol'd whats underlined
Tell him if anyone ever gives him shit for using a fretless in a metal band to shove a Steve DiGiorgio album in their face.
Finally, all the Steve DiGiorgio fans are coming out. It is a great day in the bass forum.
LOL Yeah, Steve Digiorgio is an excellent Bassist and musician (yeah thats right smart arses that listen to Punk and what, and stir sh*t up), and the point of the tone being unique and cutting through is a very valid one. Tell him to go for it and don't hesitate, just make sure he practices a lot to get the notes sounding out properly some when he plays some fast riffs it doesn't sound off.
Good for him!!!! Metal needs more fretless bassists, I think anyway.

I love the sound of fretless basses but I'm nowhere near good enough (read confident enough) to even attempt to play one. Also harmonics on a freless sound utterly BEAUT!!!!
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
somebody said the guy sform tool uses a fretless.
wrong-o

Re:topic

dude, bombs away
innovation is cool
and i mean, in a sense, the 1*10^8
"wah pedal problem" threads made by people playing metal on UG
fretless sound kind of = to wah sound.
so i mean.
go for it.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by DiabloCoche
wrong-o

You're wrong.

"Justin has 4 Wals:
2 24-fret Mach II 4 strings w/ birdseye maple facings
1 24-fret Mach II 4 string w/ birdseye maple facings and greenburst finish
1 24-fret Mach II 4 string w/ American walnut facings*

* I thought this was the fretless he used on that one passage in Lateralus, but I've seen several pictures of it, with frets."

Then as a reply to the insinuation that the walnut Mach II is fretted,

"The fretless WAL he has is a lined fretless, It looked like it had frets but, Upon closer inspection, And an interview, He said he had it with no lines at first, but had trouble playing it so he took it to have it lined. "

This is all from tooltabs.net.

And otherwise, fretless basses...they usually don't sound like you have a wah on. Do you even play a fretless bass, or are you just assuming things?
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Quote by DiabloCoche
wrong-o

Re:topic

dude, bombs away
innovation is cool
and i mean, in a sense, the 1*10^8
"wah pedal problem" threads made by people playing metal on UG
fretless sound kind of = to wah sound.
so i mean.
go for it.

What?!?!?! ???
yea, i'm just as confused.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.