Hey guys. I just recently started guitar. Equipped with a Squier Strat and Peavey Blazer 158, I'm having fun with it so far, playing simple tabs. Now, whenever I get into something, ranging from video games to sports to guitar for example, I tend to get a bit of paranoia. I joined the forums AFTER I got my equipment. And reading a bunch of reviews on the amp I currently have..makes me regret my decision. I'm not into returning my amp at the moment, only because I just want it for temporary, and just practice on learning how to play the guitar rather then have true sound. From what I hear sounds pretty good to me.

Okay now here is the question. Can you guys throw me some models for a good (meaning middle to above average end, not high end) amp for the future? I'm looking for a price range of 200-400 Canadian. (just for GOOD sound, not along side with a band or gigging). I'm thinking of getting a new amp in about 6-12 months, depending on how good I get in that time. Though 1 year for sure, I'll pick up a new amp and guitar. What do you guys suggest?

My 2nd question, just a quickie, since I'm already here is to ask how you can get that "distortion" sound like in Metal or Punk Rock. Do I need a distortion pedal? Or is it just the way I have to adjust my amp. Because I've tried playing with my amp and all I can get is an acoustic sound =/

Thanks alot guys.
Last edited by Master Chief at Jan 15, 2007,
That distortion you hear in modern music usually comes from higher end amps such as Mesa/Boogie, Marshall, Bogner, Diezel, VHT, Rivera, etc.

Now those being WAY out of your price range, and only just starting, I'd probably recommend an amp such as a Roland Cube 60 (or similar model)
Quote by Half_Full
That distortion you hear in modern music usually comes from higher end amps such as Mesa/Boogie, Marshall, Bogner, Diezel, VHT, Rivera, etc.

Now those being WAY out of your price range, and only just starting, I'd probably recommend an amp such as a Roland Cube 60 (or similar model)

After I finish with my Peavey right?
An amp is never done with. I own three amps, a Mesa/Boogie Roadster Head, Crate VFX5212, and a Marshall MG10. I still go back every once in a while and play my MG.

Just whenever you feel ready, I recommend a purchase of one of the Roland Cube amps.
Also, to get a distorted tone, you don't need a distortion pedal. Just switch to the lead channel and turn the gain up.
dude, if you just started, that amp is FINE. don't go wasting money on something you don't need.

and wtf is a squier american strat? last I checked they made their stuff in indonesia...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
dude, if you just started, that amp is FINE. don't go wasting money on something you don't need.

and wtf is a squier american strat? last I checked they made their stuff in indonesia...

Maybe its one of the older models (the good ones)? I dunno, I'm not knowledgeable in Fender/Squire.
Quote by Half_Full
Maybe its one of the older models (the good ones)? I dunno, I'm not knowledgeable in Fender/Squire.

i made a mistake. Just squier strat =/ Apparently they are backed up by fender.

Anyway, Roland seems to be a well known and trusted amp. Thanks for the help guys.