I know I'm an idiot, but what is Root note? The Standard Notation lesson I'm reading mentions it, but never says what a root note actually is. Could someone help me?
it's the note that a chord is based on.

the root note of a g chord would be a 3 on the low e string.
Oh Shit!
G Chord

e|-3-|---G note
B|-3-|
G|-4-|
D|-5-|---G note /these are all root notes for G
A|-5-|
E|-3-|---G note

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Another quick one:

Does tapping a string just mean a quick succesion of Hammer-on's and Pull-off's?
Quote by will0mon
Another quick one:

Does tapping a string just mean a quick succesion of Hammer-on's and Pull-off's?

No. That's a trill. Tapping is using your picking hand to tap(hammer-on) a fret, and usually leads to pulling-off to a fret your fretting hand is fretting.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Or the Open G

e|-3-|---G note
B|-0-|
G|-0-|---G note /these are all root notes for G
D|-0-|
A|-2-|
E|-3-|---G note
Something else is bugging me now; this lesson I'm reading states that a Major scale is created by playing every natural that's after a root note. However, it says that the G-major scale contains an F#....F# is not a natural, so how can that be? Does the step pattern override that or what? Someone help me. It's been bugging me for awhile and I thought I was just dumb (which is probably still the case) but I can't make sense of it.

P.S. Here's the site I'm using: http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/major-scale.html
read the lesson again, it says 'If you start on C and play only the NATURAL notes until you reach the octave, you will arrive at the notes of the C MAJOR SCALE'

it says nothing about ALL major scales being created by playing every natural that's after a root note.

that would be a major mistake (hehe 'major' ), take B major for example, it goes - B C# D# E F# G# A# B every # note available

hope this helps
Oh I get it! Only the C major scale does it. I had assumed that it applied to all majors. Thanks ..see I take things very literally, so that makes it difficult for me to learn this stuff. My head was buzzing trying to get that one, but now it's all so clear lol. Thanks again!
I've encountered another problem damn it! What fret do the scales go up to? The whole fretboard? Because to me, in the lesson I posted above, it seems to only go to like the 17th fret. I'm talking about the part where under the lesson it says, "The Fingerboard...Individual strings..." God I'm confused.
Last edited by will0mon at Jan 20, 2007,
When you get to the 12th fret it just starts over. You can go as far as you want but you're just repeating notes you already played on a different octave.
I know but, unless there's something I'm not doing right, when I follow the pattern for C major it gets to the 22nd fret and then would go to the 1st fret. On the lesson, it shows it going from the 17th fret, then to open string....how so?
Maybe I should also ask; When you get to last fret on the guitar, is the open string a half or whole step away? I never saw that anywhere, so I'm not sure.
Last edited by will0mon at Jan 21, 2007,
Remember that scales are not patterns, they are a vocabulary of notes. So the notes in C major are C D E F G A B, right? So if you play those anywhere on the fretboard, you are playing in key.

The patterns you were talking about just show the notes in the key. The diagram in that lesson goes up to the 17th fret, but as I said earlier, playing those notes anywhere on the fretboard results in playing in key.

The open string? Hmm...well if you mean "If I play the highest fret (let's say the 24th, just for this example), on the Low E string, how many steps away is the Open A String?"

Well, you are way past the open A string if you are playing Low E 24th fret.

I'll stop here because I'm kind of confused at your question lol.
Okay I'll try to clarify,when I go to play the C major scale(on the high e) I play as follows, C(8th fret)-D(10th fret)-E(12th fret)-F(13th fret)- G(15th fret)-A(17th fret)-B(19th fret). That's it? I didn't know that scales stopped, I thought you just kept repeating the w-w-h-w-w-w-h pattern over and over.

EDIT: or do you only play the step pattern once?
Okay WOW, I got it.
I think I'll go put a shotgun slug through the top of my skull, I'm so stupid.
That was a very easy mistake I was making, good thing I figured it out, or that'd be a bad habit. I wasn't looking at notes, I was just playing the pattern. Okay so the 22nd fret would be D so to get back to E that'd be a whole step. So from 22nd fret to open E is one Whole step. Thank you now I know.
Last edited by will0mon at Jan 21, 2007,
the 22nd fret is a d on the e string but... it is not a whole step between it and the open e. a whole step is 2 half steps (2 frets) to play the d on the 10th fret would make it a minor 7th. and onthe 22nd would be a minor 15th.a bit more complicated than can be answered in a forum response. learn about chord construction, that will shed some light. there is no substitute for a good in person teacher.
Music is a language. Learn it well before you use it or you'll just sound stupid.