I'm thinking of getting a guitar with EMG pickups and wanted to know if its worth it and is there a big diffenence between the active and the passive emgs other than the batteries and price thanx
Im looking at a Schecter C-1 FR it costs $50 more for the active and another knob but I'm gonna I'll pay the extra for it and I have a Peavey TransTube 258 EFX Guitar Combo and a old huge peavey that works good with distortion and I use a pod alot and I am planning on playing mostly metal and stuff like Steve Vai with this guitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-?sku=518491
well, i think that EMGs are limited to metal. i HATE their cleans, and you cant get a decent blues tone from 'em. and they do good distortion, but i dont like that either.

moral of the story: use Dimarzios or Duncans
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
well, i think that EMGs are limited to metal. i HATE their cleans, and you cant get a decent blues tone from 'em. and they do good distortion, but i dont like that either.

moral of the story: use Dimarzios or Duncans

... wrong
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Jan 15, 2007,
The Schecter C-1 FR doesn't come with EMG's. It comes with Duncan Designed humbuckers which are also active, but i've never played them so i can't give an opinion on them.
And to your first question, yes the Active EMG's are worth the extra over the passive ones. The passive ones don't have enough power for solos, they are ok for rythem. Yet, the passive ones do sound a lot better than the actives through the clean channel IMO.
hey, if you get that schecter tell me how it is, im thinking about one as well. and i have the same question, because the c-1 artist has passive real duncan's yet the C-1 Fr has active duncan designed and is slightly cheaper. hmm
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
Quote by pierce34celtic
The passive EMGs are not good at all. The actives are great, especially if you play a lot of metal, however they are not limited to just metal imo. What guitar(s) are you looking at and what amp do you have?

shut up...