Okay, I want to get a tube head. I have an AVT50H right now. Whatever head I get will be going on top of the AVT cab.

Style of music: Punk, Ska, Alternative, Grunge, Rock. I want cleans that are on par with/better than the AVT (shouldn't be hard). The amp must have good, heavy distortion without the help of a pedal (but I have the SD-1 if that helps at all). This means two channels.

Wattage: 30 to 100.

Price range: $400 to $700. I will buy used. I would prefer to buy used.

What I wish I could have: SIngle Recto.

What I'm probably looking at: Used JCM800, Valveking, 5150 etc.

I like the big names, I won't lie. Marshall, Mesa, Peavey. I like 'em.

Help! PM me ebay links if you'd like.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I like the Marshall JCM 900. Bit different from the normal Marshall sound since it uses 6L6s. Nice cleans and plenty of distortion.
Hi, I'm Peter
can the 900 get heavy? not like, metal heavy, but decent crunch high gain nirvana heavy?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
nirvana heavy is a proco rat distortion pedal thats what he used but now hes dead thank god for that.... a used jsx would be around the 1000s the 5 watt version is 600 new
Guitars:
Ibanez IC300
Fender American Strat w/RioGrande texas specials

Amps:
Fender FM212R
a now broken tube amp

Quote by Gofishus
Dual Core. Do More. <-- Intel branded women.

Member of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Fan Club
I have the 800 2 channel and that gets heavy, plenty enough for nirvana I reckon but for metal, even early metallic you're probably gonna want a pedal unfortunately. Also the cleans are hardly clean but still amazing, great for blues. Anyway I doubt whether you need to be told what a JCM800 can sound like, there's gazillions of albums out with 800's being used.

And from what I've read you'll probably need a pedal for a Valveking too if you want to get into metal territory.
get a 50 watt jcm 900 with el34's. i play a lot of that stuff, and the cleans are good enough for ska, and it also has great distortion. Aaron Barret from Reel Big Fish uses one, so you can hear alot of it's versatality on any of their albums. Lars Fredericksen from rancid also uses one, but his tone is pretty generic.
Check out the Peavey JSX for sure, it is incredibly versitile, being able to nail the sparkliest cleans, to the heaviest distortions of hardcore/metal, and the crunch of a JCM 800. I think thats your best bet if you can get the money.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by freedumb
get a 50 watt jcm 900 with el34's. i play a lot of that stuff, and the cleans are good enough for ska, and it also has great distortion. Aaron Barret from Reel Big Fish uses one, so you can hear alot of it's versatality on any of their albums. Lars Fredericksen from rancid also uses one, but his tone is pretty generic.

well you just sealed the deal! those are probably the two biggest influences on my tonal range. I always wondered which amps they used. Thanks!

new, kinda stupid, question: Will the feet on a 900 fit in the holes on top of my AVT cab? It's not that importnat, but it kinda of matters to me...they're all interchangable, right?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
watch out for 900s the 6L6 at high like full volumes dont break up really really good
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
I don't think I'll be pushing full volumes. My AVT is usually around 1 o'clock during band practice.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
well usually you have a tube amp for a reason and its the 2nd or 1st reason to get a tube amp: tube OD and its not reached well without cranking volume
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Quote by The_Clap
well usually you have a tube amp for a reason and its the 2nd or 1st reason to get a tube amp: tube OD and its not reached well without cranking volume

You can overdrive putting gain up and volume down. (if your amp can)

It does sound better with the volume cranked tho.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by M4jorpiz
nirvana heavy is a proco rat distortion pedal thats what he used but now hes dead thank god for that.... a used jsx would be around the 1000s the 5 watt version is 600 new

First off, learn how and where to put periods in your sentence. Second, youre a ****ing retard. Even infants know Kurt Cobain used a Boss DS-1. Third, Kurt Cobain was one of the best songwriters in the history of music. Even if you hate the guy and his tunes, you gotta take your hat off to him. He's up there with Hendrix, Lennon, Presley...etc as far as legacy and influence.

Ok, now, I thing a JCM900 would fit your tastes perfectly my friend.
^i always thought cobain used the DS-2, but i'm probably wrong. and to threadstarter, i'm glad you've chosen to get a jcm900. the feet should fit into the cab, i'd assume they would make them all the same, but i would make sure you get the jcm 900 with el34's because i think they sound better, and i'd go for a dual reverb. you should try some for yourself to decide though, and when you are trying it out, flip the switch on the back to low power if your tone is too harsh. that'll smooth it out right away.
I agree with the JCM900. Its cheap, when used, and sounds great as well.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by freedumb
^i always thought cobain used the DS-2,
He did, but not very much. The Boss DS-1 was his favorite and what he used 95% of the time. He knew next to nothing about guitar gear and he liked the DS-1 not because of its sound, but because its simplicity.
I don't think your AVT head is going to be the same size as a JCM900, the TSL's and DSL's are different to the AVT but that's dimensions, as to whether they use the same grooves I don't know.