ok well my friend is sort of starting a band up and im gunna b the bassist for it
my friend knows that i cant make stuff up...and it doesnt seem to bother him. but wit the other guitarist. im not so sure. its embarrassing having to ask what key his chords in and how i should put the line together

that being said.....any1 have any tips on making scales into bass lines?
i know a hand for of scales.. but im not sure how to incorporate them into bassline witout it sounding like an actual scale.

any tips?
also. im interesting in making hard rock/metal-ish bass lines

problem: can play alot of stuff....but cant make stuff up on my own.
Last edited by Crazy Horse at Jan 15, 2007,
for the simplest and most basic bassline, use the root notes of his chords. it doesnt have to match up witih scales perfectly. just look at what chords hes playing or ask him, and then just play the root notes (ie if the progression goes A minor G major D major E major, play A's, then G's, then D's, then E's)
thats wat ive been doing. but still i want to make up my own stuff and have it sound rhythmic....both guitaristics are great at guitar. and i know a drummer we mite ask to join and hes really good too. i dont wanna b the weak link....since im supposed to lock the rhythm section cuz i play bass.
i wanna b able to keep up and like. b something more than "o there he goes on a guitar solo!.....but all that bassist seems to be doing is pluck away at the same note.."
Find the notes in the chords and scales, so then you know what notes you should play. Then when the drummer has his part you takes the notes and you make the rythm fit the drums and guitars.
Bass is my life.
yep, you're gonna need a drummer. what I've been doing is learning a scale (any scale, I chose the E blues scale), and got a drum machine. Now I just turn through beats (all 499) and play those notes from the scale in rythm with the drums (especially the Kick Drum). Did that make sense?
if you cant follow the guitarist then you can always follow the bass drum its fairly easy and just mess around w/ the scales and you should be fine
try doing the really simplistic follow along bassline, and then listen of opportunities and improvements you can make.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
i dont use scales but im a pretty lazy [and crappy] bassist in a punk band.

i just play what sounds good then guitarist follows but dont listen to me :P

root notes are good but you should always add in some notes of your own cuz its kinda boring other wise.
k thanks guys

ya. like some parts i would sort of underlay the riff they are playing....or just make the chord progression into a sort of bass line. but listening to stuff like rage. and godsmack. theres little parts where the bassist seems to just wonder off..but it still sounds rite on.

so my new question is..

play notes of guitarist but in rhythm of kick drum??

...that sounds like a newb question but its pretty much the first opertunity ive got to play wit other people...the last i had was wit the same friend but like..b4 the summer. and ive gotten alot better since then.

but its my first time actually playing and making songs wit an actual band.

if u ever hear of the cover of "what i am" by F5.....that sort of bass line.
Last edited by Crazy Horse at Jan 16, 2007,
Learn scales and theory...or just check out the other thread about improv/soloing

Oh, and please type English? Those typing shortcuts are a pet peeve of mine
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
if you want to go deeper than root notes you could play arpeggios. Assuming you a progression like:

A minor, E minor, Cmajor, g# major just play the noted of the arpeggios for which ever bar, or bars that chord is in. If your playing faster stuff ascend the arpegio then descend it sounds really cool in certain situations.
Quote by Dave_Mc
For the cost of a Mesa Roadking, I could alternatively purchase Belgium.
Quote by TheNoseBleedKid
if you want to go deeper than root notes you could play arpeggios. Assuming you a progression like:

A minor, E minor, Cmajor, g# major just play the noted of the arpeggios for which ever bar, or bars that chord is in. If your playing faster stuff ascend the arpegio then descend it sounds really cool in certain situations.

u mean like...play it at different tones??

like playing that on E string. then switching that to like...D string for a different tone kinda of thing?
Arpeggios are chords where the notes are played in succession. For instance a C, you would play C-E-G. Em would be E-G-B and so on. And yes, you can change the progression (up and down and do simple variations on the notes as well).

Hal Leonard has this book out there that has over 1300 arpeggio shapes and explains arpeggios in detail. But if you can nail your basic chord construction theory, building arpeggios is not that hard.
Quote by anarkee
Arpeggios are chords where the notes are played in succession. For instance a C, you would play C-E-G. Em would be E-G-B and so on. And yes, you can change the progression (up and down and do simple variations on the notes as well).

Hal Leonard has this book out there that has over 1300 arpeggio shapes and explains arpeggios in detail. But if you can nail your basic chord construction theory, building arpeggios is not that hard.

oo so arpeggios are basically the fretted notes of guitar chords?
sort of?
Don't be embarassed to ask what chords are being played. Once you know that you'll be fine. For starters, play the root notes. Another think yo can do is lead into the next chord. Like this:

G------------------------------------------
D------------------------------------------
A---------------0011223333333333--
E--33333333----------------------------

You start of playing the G, and then you kick it into the C with the the A, Bflat, and B. Or somethning like that.
Arpegios are completely different to guitar chords etc. They are very easy to memorise but I cant be bothered teaching you theory over the internet;

www.just****inggooglit.com
Quote by Dave_Mc
For the cost of a Mesa Roadking, I could alternatively purchase Belgium.