From what I've seen the humbucker pickups look like two rows of single pickups side by side on a Stratocaster... "coil tap" allows you to access only 1/2 of the humbucker, effectively creating a single from a humbucker? And the S-1 switching on a Stratocaster access the coil tap on a HSS setup so you can do SSS setup switching?

Assuming I've got that all correct, and so far I think I'm at least close... though a Stratocaster I saw at guitar center threw me off... a SSS config with S-1 switch? All the other SSS config Strats had no S-1 switch... is this guitar maybe opening up different combinations of the SSS? like SN, SN+SC, SC, SC+SB, SB (b, n, c = bridge, neck, center) - and then with S-1 on maybe get like a SN+SB, SN+SC+SB ... or can you split what looks like a single into something like tapping a humbucker? ??? So confused!
the s1 for all singles can activate all the pickups at once, and change if they are in or out of phase on some of the positions.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
yes. and http://fender.com/support/diagrams/index.php
explains the different switching for each model.

also, HOTrails are mini humbuckers in a single space.
they can be split for additional tones. it doesnt really sound like a full sized humbukcer and a singloe coil when split.
more like a really hot single, and another hot tone.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thanks for the .pdf, that explains it perfect. The S-1 has not really a coil tap like pulling the knob on the schecter... its more like a toggle to acess a second set of contacts for routing the signal path... makes sense, and why there would be S-1 on a SSS Fender.

I looked at the wall after I noticed that one with the S-1 and it seemed most of the other SSS Strats had no S-1 on them... anyway maybe it was just the section I was looking at. Thanks for the help! That .pdf was awesome!
i think only the deluxe american series SSS comes with the sss s-1 but not sure
Deluxe American Strat, 3 tone sunburst
Line 6 Spyder III, 75w
my 62 reissuse, and player's strats have it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I use the Dimarzio HS-3 in the bridge of my strat. Nice tone.