Page 1 of 2
Do you guys keep your finger nails trimmed when you play or do you cut them? I noticed my sound was tinny after cutting my nails today. I'm not sure if finger density has anything to do with it (I have skinny, rather meatless fingers). I play using the tip part of my fingers - it sounds pretty good when I have just a bit of fingernail but when it's trimmed it sounds like I'm using a pick, or even tinnier.

Help
its sounds better when i have short nails for me, but whatever...when you cut your nails just leave a bit so it sounds good when you play
Fingering hand. You guys play with the tips of your fingers right, and more fingerprintish part of your finger?
I cut them really short so I don't have to cut them in a loonger time. I perfer a little nail because I find it more comfortable.
Bass is my life.
you can use your nail, soft under par of your finger, finger tp, each has its own sound i find.

just play to suit the style you want :P
Quote by watchingmefall
I have really short nails but that's beacuse I bite my fingernails I really need to stop that, any tips?

Wear gloves and then tape or glue the gloves on.

Problem solved.

Or something along those lines...
Bass is my life.
Quote by benttwig33
you can use your nail, soft under par of your finger, finger tp, each has its own sound i find.

just play to suit the style you want :P

Thats where I find my sound too!
I am obsessive about eating my nails, so, I can't really help it, can't see how it affect my playing though.
...And The Nominees Are
i just tear mine off if they get too long.. don't need nail touching string.
Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club. PM mountaindew88 to join.
i have mediocre long/short nails.
it never gets in my way, but not that short tho...
my thumb nail i like keeping it kinda long
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by watchingmefall
I have really short nails but that's beacuse I bite my fingernails I really need to stop that, any tips?

Have some will power mate. Simple.

As for nails, you should be able to touch a table with the tip of finger without any nail touching the surface. That's like the ideal.. Much longer than that and it's gonna get in the way..
i have to have short nails for work, so they're obviously short. i hate it when they're long anyway.,
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Bugger king Well technically I work for Moto (you surely must have heard of them)
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Ridiculously short is the way to go. But I'd say its more down to preference really. I play nearer the bridge so my fingernails would just grind right down if I had long ones because there is more tension in the strings there.
I have my nails really short otherwise they catch on the strings and i hate that
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
IMO fingerstyle sounds too sharp when you use your nails, I prefer my fingertips either way. You just have to get used to it.
Dickless.
I cut them really short. My middle finger is alright, but my index I simply can't cut it short enough. Somehow I cut it to the skin so much that if I put the clippers it hurts. But still seems like my nail is like too far on my finger and as short as I can cut and the nail is almost the same length as the tip of my finger. So I pretty much have to cut them every 2 days or else my nail hits the string and I really hate the sound it does.
I used to bite my fingernails and then I went cold turkey. I've been clean for a few months now which is nice.

I can't stand long fingernails. And as I have fairly meaty fingers for a skinny guy I don't get that problem. If you find that it's a bit tinny move away from the bridge and firther towards the neck of your bass. I think that might help.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Short, They just get in the way when they are longer. Sometimes I even file my nails a bit to make them nice and round and not rough.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
I bite my nails anyway, to justify it I tell myself it's because I need them short to play the way I like. I've never been good at growing my nails anyway, they seem to have something against growth.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I cut mine with scissors, so in other words, short.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I cut mine with a freakin' toe nail clipper. The thing's a monster and because of that my fingers ache two days after I cut them I cut them so short. But since cutting fingernails is so fiddly I am loathe to do it.
Quote by jagstang270
I am obsessive about eating my nails, so, I can't really help it, can't see how it affect my playing though.

ditto, been biting em since the 3rd grade
I have to cut my nails as soon as they get long enough to strike the string. I can't get a consistant sound when they're that long, and i have a habit of catching the nail on teh string, which hurts like hell. I use a set of toenail clippers for them simply because you can't cut them too short with that kind. the blades are too wide, so it will only allow you to cut them so short before you can't get the blades any farther up teh nail. Gets them to a perfect length for me.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I keep them as short as possible. I'd take them all off, if I could! (I've had plenty of injuries, but ripping a fingernail off is one of the most painful things I've done)
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I bite my nails anyway, to justify it I tell myself it's because I need them short to play the way I like. I've never been good at growing my nails anyway, they seem to have something against growth.

While I don't bite mine, I do keep them short and like Dinkydaisy, I could never grow them out to talon lengths anyway. Being a female bass player has given me the perfect excuse to opt out of this requirement of the female fashion world and gladly so.

And yes, I keep mine really short and use a nail file.
Quote by smb
I keep them as short as possible. I'd take them all off, if I could! (I've had plenty of injuries, but ripping a fingernail off is one of the most painful things I've done)

agreed 100%.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I bite my nails, but it isn't because of stress or anything. When I see my nails are getting long, I'm too lazy to get clippers so I bite them off. Hell I just cut my toenails when they start bothering me when I wear socks or when the rub on the blankets when I'm in bed.
Page 1 of 2