Hey, so im just wondering, since Marshall MG100HDFX or whatever it is are so hated here, why are they usually the "top selling" item on sites like musiciansfriend.com and stuff. My only idea is that people are buying this because they think any half stack is cool even if it sounds bad? what do you think..
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
precisely. popular name, very cheap for a halfstack especially of the 'marshall' name. for me it is not that they have the worst sound ever but rather that they have poor reliability
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
hey, I'm new here, the reason is because the name "Marshall" appeals to new guitarists cause a lot of big names use them, and the Mg series is reasonably cheap, most new guitarists with no experience buy them, I don't think a descent band would be using one.
because of the marshall sign and the cheap prise of them
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Noob kids want a half stack for the looks, volume, etc. They see the MG is cheap and buy it. Then they post pictures on their myspace captioning "Check out mah Uber 1337 MARSHALL STACK!" Later they develop an ear for tone and sell the amp and buy a tube amp.

So all in all, people buy it cuz it looks cool and is cheap.
And the UG Community looks down upon them cuz of their horrid tone.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
Marshalls in general have a used up tone, not bad, just if I hear one more EL34 E chord I am going to take a gun to work and shoot Scott. (PS I am being dramatic I dont even work with a scott... anymore) Silvertone is the only tone (see how I rhymed tone with tone, VERY clever)
My Rig:
1970's Twin Reverb
1972 Gibson SG
1970's Raven SG copy (extreme modifications)
EH Double Muff
Dunlop Hendrix wah
and of course... a disco ball
alright, i just think its freaking stupid to spend $600 on an amp with mostly horrible reviews (except from guitar center of course ) and end up with a practice amp with wayy too much volume and mediocre tone, when there are plenty of tube amps out there for that price with plenty of power , yet decent tone, so what the hell.
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
Let me say something in defense of cheap stacks from my observations playing a few and seeing them at gigs. THEY'RE VERY LOUD AND DON'T COST MUCH. A cheap Marshall SS head or a Behringer Vampire stack mightn't be your dream amp, but IT'S VERY LOUD.

Ok so imagine you work at K-Mart during the day and you've been in a band that jams at your cousin's place. You've got a Marshall combo that sounds pretty good in the garage, and your band's songs are starting to come together nicely.

So what happens when your friend who works behind the bar at a local pub says he played your demo to his boss and they'd like to get you playing a few friday night gigs, how does next week sound?

With a potential gig on the line do you say "um well actually I haven't finished saving for my DSL100 yet"? F#*k no, you take the money you had put aside for your car insurance, borrow the balance from your mum and buy yourself a Behringer Vampire and cabinet or whatever you can afford.

This might not be the most amazing sound in the world, but with the cabinet plus a good PA, it's going to be pretty loud in say a cramped basement bar accomodating 50-100 patrons. You make some noise, the audience digs some of your riffs, and the manager sells a lot more beer because people come in early and listen to you instead of just showing up for the headline band.

So if even if Guitar World (who get to play everything for free) dissed your amp, who cares? When you get your 50 bucks at the end of the night (and hopefully free beers while you watch the headline set) that $600 seems like money well spent. Play a dozen gigs and it's paid for itself. By the time you've moved up the billing a bit, or into bigger venues, you'll be able to afford that top of the line stack.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Jan 16, 2007,
I agree with Cosimo_Zaretti.

I went to a battle of the bands competition the other day. Let me tell you this, there was a band with probably a few grand worth of valve amps, the likes of VHT, H&K, they stood there screaming down the mic and strumming out power chords with no particular feel to it, next was a more modest band with that exact MG, they managed to get the crowd singing along etc. It's the damn person in front of the amp that matters the most.

In all honesty, once your up there on stage, no one is going to notice how much your amp costs, and your mainly guitar ignorant audiance isn't going to know about "tr00 t00b t0ne". If you need something with volume, then why not.
I think ^^ you good sir are reasonably close to the mark.
alot of young starter bands go out with the big stacks and fancy guitars
but the fact of the matter is generally people accept that

Newcomers/First few gigs bands = low calibre band with low calibre sound.
people dont pay the $5 cover fee at shitty little bars pubs etc etc
expecting the *insert big guitar brand* customs
combined with *insert big amp brand* stacks
blasting out uber tone.
Oh dear god, I dont feel alive.
I have a new blog, of the interesting type.

In so far i have seen,

1. The Darkness
2. Wolfmother
3. The Grates
4. Faker
5. Kings of Leon
6. Coheed and Cambria
7. Architecture in Helsinki

and counting.
The marshall MGs get the shit ripped out of them, but they actually sound good. Correct, they don't sound as nice as most valve amps, but I would never say it sounded awful!
More people say they are crap than have actually played one anyway, go figure.
Try jumping on a different bandwagon plz kthxbye

Quote by beckyjc
your mainly guitar ignorant audiance isn't going to know about "tr00 t00b t0ne"

That made me LOL
Well at the price of $600 you can get a 50 watt Peavey Valveking which will be louder than the MG volume wise. So technically Cosimo_Zaretti is corrects. But remember that the MG's are so expensive so that for the price you can get a ncie tube combo. We played a gig in a shcool adutorium unmiced and used a 1x10 cab for our Laney TT50H and then people said it was to loud. I played my JCM800 1x12 combo (when i had it) in another auditorium unmiced wiht volume on 2. So your statement works in the theory. But alot of people here at UG uses Fender Blues Jr's and many of them have played bar gigs and had no trouble being heard. Plus why get something bad when you can get something better?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
the thing is, you can get that kind of volume with a nicer, non halfstack amp. its true that about 50% of new guitarists buy them for the looks. but if you really, really do need one and you can get the tone you like, then by all means. its just for £300 you could get something a little bit quieter, which would hold up at gigs and not take up half the stage

edit: what gabel said.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Gabel
Well at the price of $600 you can get a 50 watt Peavey Valveking which will be louder than the MG volume wise. So technically Cosimo_Zaretti is corrects. But remember that the MG's are so expensive so that for the price you can get a ncie tube combo. We played a gig in a shcool adutorium unmiced and used a 1x10 cab for our Laney TT50H and then people said it was to loud. I played my JCM800 1x12 combo (when i had it) in another auditorium unmiced wiht volume on 2. So your statement works in the theory. But alot of people here at UG uses Fender Blues Jr's and many of them have played bar gigs and had no trouble being heard. Plus why get something bad when you can get something better?

I completely agree with you, but you wouldn't say that the amps make baby jesus cry.