Okay, so I don't know if any of you have had similar experiences, but I've noticed that the so-called local scene of my city is basically crap in disguise. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we even have a scene but it's full of BS. We have two different types of shows, the ones where everyone is completely trashed and the ones where everyone has an X on their hand and they'll shun you if you say "beer". The bands all sound like carbon copies of each other, not to mention it's basically a fashion show. Every time I go to a show it feels like punk dies a little bit. I'm working on putting on my own shows with my band but we can't stop it from being a drunk kids vs. straight-edge, everyone vs. everyone fashion show.

Similar experiences anyone?
Nope, I guess I'm lucky enough to have a scene where the people attending shows are pretty diverse and open minded. A big part of that is probably due to the small size of our music community though.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I don't participate in my local scene at all.

I've never attended a local show. It just doesn't appeal to me.
There isn't a punk scene here. It's only metal and it kinda sucks. I can handle a little metal but if I wanna see a local show then for me it's going to be horrible.

Consider yourself relitively lucky.
GET ME AN AMBULANCE!

Make that a hearse.
smoke weed, it's a better scene.
peace & chemicals
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I don't participate in my local scene at all.

I've never attended a local show. It just doesn't appeal to me.

me either. ive gone to one show but i feel out of place cause my whole scene is mostly more emo-type bands.
Well, i have 2 houses, one in Toledo, one in Manhattan, and Toledo is famous for its ska, and new york is famous for its punk.

Honestly,

I think both scenes are bullshit. No one cares.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
We barely have a scene here. I don't really care that much about it either but about 85% of my school from what I know, don't even know what ska is. If anything, We just have a small hardcore/metal scene throughout our county.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Quote by asbestospie
Okay, so I don't know if any of you have had similar experiences, but I've noticed that the so-called local scene of my city is basically crap in disguise. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we even have a scene but it's full of BS. We have two different types of shows, the ones where everyone is completely trashed and the ones where everyone has an X on their hand and they'll shun you if you say "beer". The bands all sound like carbon copies of each other, not to mention it's basically a fashion show. Every time I go to a show it feels like punk dies a little bit. I'm working on putting on my own shows with my band but we can't stop it from being a drunk kids vs. straight-edge, everyone vs. everyone fashion show.

Similar experiences anyone?

This is the way that shows have been since about 1985.

Once upon a time, all manner of weirdos, freaks and whatever, came to punk shows and had an okay time.
Mostly, it was just nice to be with other freaks and not worry about getting jumped by jocks.

Then jocks came to the shows, dressed in "hardcore" gear (sweats, adidas, Neanderthal foreheads) and started beating people up.
Many people left, but some of us stuck around and fought back, at first.

Then every band became a copy of a copy of a copy and I just didn't care anymore.

What's really scary is that, here in Austin, you've got a feckload of leftover jocks from this time period, who are total losers pushing 40, with nothing to do but go to shows, get wasted and beat up kids half their age and size.
And/or they decide that they don't like someone, so they round up a posse of their buddies and jump whoever they want, 5-10 on 1.

It's a big clique and it's dangerous to get on their bad side, especially because they're friends with the bouncers at the punk clubs !
If you get jumped, the bouncers may start kicking your a$$, as well !

No fun.
Luckily, every band sucks now, so I'm not missing anything.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
My area doesnt have a punk scene. Its all emo and hardcore. But i know what your talkin about. All these people who strut around with their mohawks and 300 dollar belts and are all like "check out my new hot topic make over". Its really obnoxious, that is not what punk is about, sid vicious frowns upon them.
my scene is pretty good. we got our share of douche bags, and our share of cool punks. most the bands consist of pretty bitchin dudes. mostly ska and...like leftover crackish bands or street.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
My area doesnt have a punk scene. Its all emo and hardcore. But i know what your talkin about. All these people who strut around with their mohawks and 300 dollar belts and are all like "check out my new hot topic make over". Its really obnoxious, that is not what punk is about, sid vicious frowns upon them.

Oh, the irony.
I don't participate in my local scene. I'm simply not driving a half hour and paying 10 bucks to hear what sounds like a very poor quality recording of a Minor Threat song played on a loop for a few hours which yells at people for not dancing every now and again. Maybe two or three bands are worth seeing. The only fun shows I've been to on Long Island were the ones where bands from the city or out of state played. I've tried starting a band so many times but we could never get enough members because we always specified that we didn't want to play street punk.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
We dont really have a punk scene here. (north-central WV) There are a lot of good metal bands, though. There's, like, one punk band that I've heard of. Hopefully my band will add a little bit more punkiness to the scene.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
The only fun shows I've been to on Long Island were the ones where bands from the city or out of state played.

Oh come on, you know Last Call Brawl was fun the first time. And then they were the worst band ever.
Quote by Fuzzbox91
sid vicious frowns upon them.

Uhhh... not quite. I'm not sure so much that Sid Vicious would frown on them... the idea is that they're all doing their best impression of him. There's a lot of getting pissed and destroying, which can be fun, but it lacks variety. They're doing exactly what the Sex Pistols did (and actually I don't think Sid Vicious did much except look cool, shoot drugs, and hit people). The people who would frown on them are more like... Ian Mackaye, Joey Shithead and Jello Biafra. You know... smart people who wanted to change things? Anyone remember "talk - action = zero"? Sigh.
Quote by Fuzzbox91

Was that a joke?
At least you have a scene .
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
i think that house shows are the best thing that punk rock has ever had. Venues aren't as welcoming. With house shows, everyone is super cool and they have a open heart for you.
^hellz yes!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by asbestospie
Uhhh... not quite. I'm not sure so much that Sid Vicious would frown on them... the idea is that they're all doing their best impression of him. There's a lot of getting pissed and destroying, which can be fun, but it lacks variety. They're doing exactly what the Sex Pistols did (and actually I don't think Sid Vicious did much except look cool, shoot drugs, and hit people). The people who would frown on them are more like... Ian Mackaye, Joey Shithead and Jello Biafra. You know... smart people who wanted to change things? Anyone remember "talk - action = zero"? Sigh.

Yeah your right. I wasnt really thinking when i wrote that last part. i just assumed that everybody associated Sid Vicous with punk but ur right hes not a good example. a better example would be jello biafara
Cows With Guns,

You have no future in sales or politics.
You are far too addicted to telling the truth.

Thanks for the sig.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
my scene is alright, im personally straight-edge, but thats for reasons i'd rather not discuss....

but what i hate are these kids who are "straight-edge" and they go out and eat these foods covered in pesticides that are probly worse ofr you than doing other drugs.

also, these sceney kids who are straight-edge cause all the kool kids are it. and they all wanna sex up pete wentz or be pete wentz.

so my scene sorta sux cause of that

but we do have a few cool bands, like lot 9 brawl (ska)

and days Fade (metalcore)

so its pretty fun. just all the kids who go to shows are bullshitters, so i dont like going to shows, but since im playing one soon, im trying to sell all my tickets to those scene kids cause they're rich cause they can afford all that hot topic stuff, like the animaniacs sweater, and spongebob wristband and stuff.

so they can buy my tickets, not my broke-ass friends =D
You can't hate kids because of what they wear, that's not going to get you anywhere in life. If a music scene's shit, then get involved and try to change it. I'm sick of people bitching about things instead of getting up off their fat arses and attempting to do something about it.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
judging people by what they wear is how the world works today. i never said i liked it, id love to change it all man, but i got personal problems to deal with first before i can save the world with john lennon.

sorry if im coming off on the wrong foot, im already in a fight in one forum i dont wanna start another one, its not the way i roll, i want to respect everyone's opinion here, even if i may not agree with them.
Man, my local scene was okay (we had like late Blag Flag type bands, with the metal influence clearly defined) but then all of those band mov'd (to Portland) and now we have screamo and \m/HEAVY METAL\m/. No punk or ska or phycedelic or anything aside from sreamo and\m/METAL\m/!
Tommorow never knows

Member of the "I Can't (and Refuse To) Shred" Club. PM joshsirjoshules to join.

Member of the Grateful DeadFan Club. PM deadhead313 to join

Put and end to Racism!
Last edited by peanut head at Jan 24, 2007,
Quote by peanut head
(we had like late Blag Flag type bands, with the metal influence clearly defined)

Ugh, those are the worst.
I only go to shows in North Jersey and NYC now, because the scenes there aren't totally dead yet.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
We have a few funny art-punk bands around here. The Rudies and Rumrunner leap to mind - you could call it "punk" but they're either all acoustic or working with members that play the banjo. The Martyr Index too - good bands, but it's often either them or some crappy nu-hardcore that our "metal" scene cranks out.

This is a pain in the ass for me, because I'm so heavily oriented towards the punk and metal movements of the 80s that I can't stand to listen to any of the shitty local bands with names like "As We Bleed" at all. I've been to only one of those shows - it took fifteen minutes of crappy pseduo-metal with poorly screamed vocals before I decided that I had wasted ten dollars and left. What I'd really like to hear is more of the old punk along the lines of D.O.A. or Young Canadians - the products of Vancouver's early 80s scene - and technically competent thrash.

What I've noticed in the thrash vein is that lots of people like Pantera, old Metallica, Megadeth, that kind of stuff, but absolutely no-one is good enough to play it. And dammit if they're going to practice enough to get that good.

Anyway, yeah. I don't go to many local shows, because I don't always like the music being played. I'd rather sit down and blast out my old records than be subjected to nu-hardcore all evening.
no
Quote by bucky_2300
We have a few funny art-punk bands around here. The Rudies and Rumrunner leap to mind - you could call it "punk" but they're either all acoustic or working with members that play the banjo. The Martyr Index too - good bands, but it's often either them or some crappy nu-hardcore that our "metal" scene cranks out.

This is a pain in the ass for me, because I'm so heavily oriented towards the punk and metal movements of the 80s that I can't stand to listen to any of the shitty local bands with names like "As We Bleed" at all. I've been to only one of those shows - it took fifteen minutes of crappy pseduo-metal with poorly screamed vocals before I decided that I had wasted ten dollars and left. What I'd really like to hear is more of the old punk along the lines of D.O.A. or Young Canadians - the products of Vancouver's early 80s scene - and technically competent thrash.

What I've noticed in the thrash vein is that lots of people like Pantera, old Metallica, Megadeth, that kind of stuff, but absolutely no-one is good enough to play it. And dammit if they're going to practice enough to get that good.

Anyway, yeah. I don't go to many local shows, because I don't always like the music being played. I'd rather sit down and blast out my old records than be subjected to nu-hardcore all evening.

Mabye check out bands like Black Wednesdays and such. Not really my thing, but you might dig them. All the Calgary Beer Core bands, for that matter.

As far as band I really dig, The Martyr Index and Five Star Affair are both amazing and very underappreciated. I also like Act Fast, who play a sort of Gorilla Biscuits style of hardcore.

There are quite a few pretty sweet bands here, if you keep an open mind and know where to look.

As far as that hair metal stuff you like, I actually have some friends who play it. They don't play shows that often, (you're more likely to see their other band) but they're fun when they do.
Last edited by sargasm at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by bucky_2300

See, I'd REALLY like to see something like DOA, too. Not carbon copies of them, but a band with as much spirit and energy and anger. We have one or two bands that take after them in a way, and we owe the existence of the "scene" to the early Vancouver punk scene (I live in Victoria, which is basically Vancouver's bitch).
And there is quite a lot of "As We Bleed" type bands around here, but they are avoidable to a degree. I wish I could remember some of the band name's, they're pretty bad.
thank god there isn't that kind of infighting around here. there's a pretty tight scene in which most people know or at least recognize all the other kids. Everyone who's been around for a few years has started bands/zines/labels/etc. Some good hardcore has started lately, and great bands got me into the scene. A few of them are dying out now or moving on but whatever, it's been a few years and it's expected.
Kids are really good, though, for the most part. A good portion has been punk based for the last year, there's not too much metalcore (or maybe I just avoid those shows), and house shows have started to become pretty regular. A punk house started up this year, too. We lost a lot of venues, and now it's kind of like the kids are taking it back, it pisses off promoters who bitch about all the fast pace and fun nights of party/shows ruining bands' draws, but I don't care. It's awesome, a lot of amazing people and music.
WHAT WE WANT IS FREE