hello all-

i have been doing some searching, but to no avail. i have a jcm 900 1x12 combo amp. when i first got it a friend told me that he knew of a place that sold kits to convert the combo amp to a head. of course, he couldnt seem to remember the name of the place. im only curious about the process; just looking to see if anyone has actually done it. i cant seem to find anything on google, save for these forums, so i thought i would ask here. does anyone know where i can find more information, pictures, etc. about converting a jcm 900 (or any combo amp for that matter) to a head?

thanks a lot!
-adam
Well it isn't to hard actully. All you will have to do is to take out the amp part from the combo and then to get a new cabinet to fit it in. Remeber that you will probalby have to put the panel on the top though. You can also use your old combo as the cab.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
hey, thanks for the reply.

i was wondering about about placement of the amp once it was removed from the combo cab, because it seems as though the tubes are facing the opposite way as the head versions. where would i find a cab for just the amp if i took it out of the combo setup? it seems like leaving it in the combo cab is a far easier solution than taking it all apart, but this is all for curiositys sake anyway.
there are plenty of places online that provide cabinets for your head, like earcandy, and you can also find a chassis to put all you stuff in so it shows up correctly, and the tubes face up. or you could just have a head with the tubes facing down and the controls up top.
Well the thing is that it's a combo so it's liek a reversed head so you would hvae to palce the panel on top. Since theyre might not be a cabinet for yout measurments you might have to build one yourself instead.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

build it yourself! it would be a fun project, and the parts wouldnt be expensive at all, a trip to the hardware store for the wood, and the interent for the tolex/amp hardware, tutorials, and maybe a metal shop to bend some aluminum for the chasis.

EDIT: Also, for info on Amp Moding, you can check like 18watt.com, they are dedicated to building there own amps from the ground up, and i no doubt say they would help you with this.

it would be truely be "yours".
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
this whole idea is beginning to sound more and more tempting. i was looking for random parts on ebay and came across a novelty spinal tap jcm 800 faceplate...you know with the numbers that go to 11? haha. anyway, if i were to take the amp out and build it into the bottom of a head, i would have to turn it upside down, no? -meaning all the text/numbers would be upside down as well. that is, of course, unless i built it into the top of the new head. i guess what im saying is after seeing a "remake" of the jcm 800 faceplate, it got me wondering if i could find a replacement part for the jcm 900, but have the numbers/words be in the right orientation. does anyone know where i could find something like this, if at all?

i will check out that amp forum, thanks.

also, can anyone point me to some good tutorials?

thanks a lot!
Just don't flip it upside down, easy. Hang it right side up in the head cab, like Fender heads do/did.

If you flip it around, everything will be reversed too, like the holes. So your new faceplate wouldn't even fit.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
im still considering a few ideas with this project. the purpose of the new faceplate is to be opposite of the old one, so all the holes would be correctly oriented. i noticed that the marshall mg series hangs from the top. hmm, just not sure if i like the thought of it being mistaken for an mg. how petty is that? lol.
have an upside down head, its better than knobs to 11. . .

i would do it.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Well it will be alot easier to jsut let it be upside down. You can always tilt as on Fender heads or something.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

If you're concerned with it looking like an mg, then it'll be the least of your problems. make the cab unique, find a different color covering and cover it in that. get www.amplates.com to make a jcm800 or similar amp plate for you. maybe add your own flair to it, IE, jam-800 instead of jcm, its up to you.
Quote by Gabel
Well it will be alot easier to jsut let it be upside down. You can always tilt as on Fender heads or something.

The Fender chassis aren't tilted, the faceplate just has a slant.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
i talked to my friend at the local music shop, and there is a guy in town who does projects like this. ive got his number, so i am going to try to get a hold of him for some extra ideas.

thanks all!
what about with a little 15 watt fender amp? i have a fender amp (one of the smaller 15 watt ones). could i just pull out the amp parts and somehow make it into a head?
Quote by tubadude
have an upside down head, its better than knobs to 11. . .

i would do it.

Personally I'd prefer an 11" knob than an upside down head!!