Here's a couple of voicings for you..

e|--5---------10----10----10----5----5----1--|
B|--6----1----10----10----10----3----6----1--|
G|--5----2----10----10----10----5----7----2--|
D|--7----0----10----10----10----3----7----0--|
A|--5----x-----8----------12-----------------|
E|--5----1----------------10-----------------|
Quote by IlIk2plygUItAr
It has F A and C in it, with A as the bass note. You figure it out from there.

No. F - A - C with any of those notes in the bass would be an Fmaj triad. F6 contains the notes F - A - C - D.

He isn't talking about an Fmaj triad in first inversion.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Jan 16, 2007,
Quote by Johnljones7443
No. F - A - C with any of those notes in the bass would be an Fmaj triad. F6 contains the notes F - A - C - D. He isn't talking about an Fmaj triad in first inversion.
This is correct. The notation for an F in second position / first inversion is F/A.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Unless you're doing figured bass, in which case first inversion is typically notated with a 6

It's an unfortunate notation class between schools of thought
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I'm just going to assume that when you say "maj6" you mean something along the lines of Fmaj7add6.

Why should you assume a thing like that?

maj6 = 6. End of story!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
Why should you assume a thing like that?

maj6 = 6. End of story!
I've never seen that notation. I've always seen 6th chords written as F6 or something.

Naturally, I will delete my post.
Your quote still lives on in my post..

But seriously, the maj6 thing is quite common! Not as common as 6, but still.. You should know it
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
The notation for chords containing sixths has often confused me.
F6 can refer to F in 6/3 or first inversion (although theoretically it shouldn't), or Fma6, F A C D. Methinks F6 should be phased out altogether in favour of Fma6 and Mi6.
Quote by Me2NiK
The notation for chords containing sixths has often confused me.
F6 can refer to F in 6/3 or first inversion (although theoretically it shouldn't), or Fma6, F A C D. Methinks F6 should be phased out altogether in favour of Fma6 and Mi6.
It's a contextual issue...

If you're reading a chord chart or lead sheet and encounter an F6, you can bet your bottom dollar you're being asked to play a chord containing the tones F A C and D.

On the other hand, if you're in a more controlled situation, for example reading a score reduction or accompanying a singer or other soloist on a classical or acoustic guitar and hit an F 6 (note the space between the F and the 6), you quite likely need to play an F chord in second position / first inversion.

Since very few of us guitarists find ourselves reading score reductions, in my opinion your best bet is just to play an F chord containing a D.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.